Buyer asked to ship to another address/what about DEFECT rate?

saintgermain

Celine addict
Feb 20, 2012
A buyer asked me to ship to a different address than what's on her Paypal payment. Obviously I'm not going to do that. In the past when a situation like this occurred, I would refund the payment and have her input the correct address with a new payment.

However, I am concerned if this would cause a defect under the new Ebay ratings. Anyone know if refunding her will cause an automatic defect?

I believe so, but I'm not 10000% sure, so wait for someone who is positive.

This is yet another example of how eBay screws sellers in favor of these ridiculous buyers. It takes about 10 seconds to change your address and these buyers expect us to ship to addresses where we won't be covered - and it's so easy to claim non-receipt. Try calling eBay and ask them what the heck they expect you to do, but be prepared to bang your head repeatedly against the wall.

If it is a low priced item, I'd probably chance it. If it's high ticket - I'd refund and take the defect. No way I'd chance it.

If you refund the money and cancel the transaction make sure that you pick a reason that reflects the buyer's request. Shipping to a different address is a good reason to cancel the transaction but you could be charged with a defect for cancelling. Call ebay and make sure that you won't be dinged for the buyer's request. This has happened to me and a 'defect' from a year ago is still on my account and contributes to my status changing at the end of September. Calling ebay and getting information and the name of the person who gave it to you is paramount to protect you in the future.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, perhaps someone will come along that does. I would like to suggest that you not take the first rep's advice that you speak with as gospel. There have been instances where I've spoken to 5 different reps and gotten 5 different answers.