Buy one nice item a month at pricey boutique....

Antonia

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
or a lot of less expensive things at stores like H&M, TJ's or Marshall's?? Here's my dilemma: my BFF and I always seem to discuss this (but never follow our own advice)! We would say 'let's buy one really nice thing a month and slowly build our wardrobe' but then we'll walk into a store like H&M and spend about $200-$300 on a lot of different things. I find that the cheaper things end up at the consignment store a few months later because I'm sick of them already, but it happens time after time, I walk in there and see so many things I want! I keep thinking that if I try to stick to our other idea, I'll have a fabulous wardrobe- which will take me a while to build it up but I won't be so quick to sell it at a consignment store later on just because I know I'll never get back what I spent on it. This came up again in my mind today when I stopped at a local boutique that sells high end clothing (not really high end, like Prada but the smaller labels) and the clothes were TDF!!! Of course, I need to stay away from pricey designer bags too if I want a nice wardrobe...and that's my other dilemma because I'm always looking at handbags and I don't need more but I can't help looking!!! What are your thoughts on this.....quantity over quality or vice versa? I'd love to hear all your ideas on this!!! Thanks!!!:flowers:

Always quality over quantity. I have items in my wardrobe that are 10 years old and I wear them every week. I buy replacement items (t shirts, fitted tops) at high street brands and my long term classics (coats, dresses, shoes) in pricier stores. It works well for me.

Well I usually think quality over quanity, but its hard sometimes because I don't have my 'career job' yet, i just kind of have a 'side job'. (I think you guys know what I mean? Just a little job to get by that doesn't pay very much, while I find a way to get to the job I actually want to do in life.) So I can totally related to the whole walking into H&M and spending 300$$$ thing. I think both are totally fine. The designer mall is very very far away from me than the local mall (that has stores like H&M) is, so I have a range of both. I have a lot of cheaper stuff like H&M, and I also have some very nice designer stuff (like Dolce & Gabanna, Juicy Couture, Chloe, etc.) that i own. I find that it works best this way: to have a mixture of cheaper items and designer items. It works out well, because say I'm going somewhere with my very fashionable friends or I'm going on a date or something then I'll wear something Chloe or D&G. But say I'm going horse back riding, or to the gym, or playing sports then I'll wear something cheaper like from H&M, or if I'm having a lazy day and am too busy to really dress up. there are certain occasions (playing sports, going to the gym, etc.) where you need some cheaper items in your wardrobe, so it all works out, KWIM? And just to keep it all in line, I always carry a designer bag. (I have a few pairs of designer shoes that i love, but I don't ALWAYS wear designer shoes.) A bag can really pull a boring outift together if I just feel like grabbing the first clothes I see and going.

So I've come to this opinon: It's good to have clothes from H&M and stores like that, and it's also good to have some designer clothes too.

I usually save for a month or so depending on how much I want to buy and then go on a huge shopping spree at the designer mall, and then some other times I also go to cheaper stores just because it's more available and there are some really cute non designer clothes. It all works out. :smile:

I am an equal opportunity shopper. Sometimes I only want to buy cheaper items and sometimes I want to splurge and buy the expensive items. It just depends on my mood. If I'm feeling fun and flirty, bring on the inexpensive clothing. If I feel more in a splurge mood, then bring on Burberry and Michael Kors. It depends on mood and what I feel like spending that week. Lately, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft have become my favorite stores!

Thank you ladies for your replies! It makes total sense to buy staple pieces at the higher end stores and the basics at H&M. My problem is that once I step foot in there, I always see things I want and it's so hard to not walk out of there without spending a small fortune. I guess I have to learn to focus on what I went in there for (basics) and walk past the other stuff. I have a good size wardrobe right now with a mix of high and low and I don't really need lot but when the seasons change I like to shop, especially for fall clothes!!

I am an equal opportunity shopper. Sometimes I only want to buy cheaper items and sometimes I want to splurge and buy the expensive items. It just depends on my mood. If I'm feeling fun and flirty, bring on the inexpensive clothing. If I feel more in a splurge mood, then bring on Burberry and Michael Kors. It depends on mood and what I feel like spending that week. Lately, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft have become my favorite stores!

You sound just like me! My closet has a wide range of clothes from boutiques and cheapo places like forever 21! It just depends on my shopping mood

Thank you ladies for your replies! It makes total sense to buy staple pieces at the higher end stores and the basics at H&M. My problem is that once I step foot in there, I always see things I want and it's so hard to not walk out of there without spending a small fortune. I guess I have to learn to focus on what I went in there for (basics) and walk past the other stuff. I have a good size wardrobe right now with a mix of high and low and I don't really need lot but when the seasons change I like to shop, especially for fall clothes!!

Just don't take your wallet or purse into the store! That way, if there is something you "just have to have" you'll be forced to walk back out to your car to get $$, which will give you time to evaluate if it really has a place in your dream wardrobe or not.

I just can't decide sometimes. I splurge on denim (I'm a sucker for pretty Paige pockets) but I get a bunch of other stuff from H&M, Old Navy (tanks galore), and Forever 21. I've got nice stuff and cheap stuff and mix it together. I can leave the store feeling less guilty and just as happy.

I used to shop, shop, shop, wherever I was... But now--no. I buy high end designer for wardrobe pieces: shoes, bags, dresses, suits.
And for the t-shirt type stuff--well I still get sucked in to buying the designer stuff.
Nevermind...

I think that because I have access to a lot of sample/warehouse sales, it's not as hard for me. I avoid buying too much at low-end stores because I know that in a couple of months, I will be able to buy a higher-end brand for almost the same price. The problem then is, I go too crazy at the sales! :P

You know what is really cool though, sometimes I go to the Mall with only $100 to spend and I challenge myself to see how many great pieces I can find for under that amount. That is a fun thing to do. So sometimes I'll go to macy's and find shoes, ann taylor to find tops and accessories, forever 21 for whatever, victoria's secret for clearance stuff. It is a fun way to see what you can find for that budget range. Sometimes I end up with like 10 items and sometimes maybe 1 or two. It is still fun thing to do occassionally.

i think its easy to not go crazy in stores like h&m or forever 21 if you have a better sense of your own personal style. i dont mean that in a mean way, btw. i just mean if you have a look/style you are trying to convey/represents you, you wont grab at any cute thing you see. being more selective in the pieces you buy makes shopping easier.