Buy jewelry now before your babies are teens!

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I am so glad I already bought so many pretty things. If I had waited years due to indecisiveness or other expenses such as travel, home improvement, etc., I would not have such an incredible collection. While my kids were young, I was able to reset e-ring twice, get an eternity wedding band, many high-end watches, and a few Cartier bracelets. But now with 1 in college, 1 not far behind, both of whom are driving (extra cars and insurance) and a daughter approaching teens - no extra funds for big purchases. I highly recommend saving when the kiddies are young! I am so glad I did.

Not to mention, jewelry will COST a lot more in ten years. Actually, I think it will cost a lot more next year, given what the price of gold is doing.
I am so glad that my grandmother bought jewelry before I was born. And now it is in style again! Just last week, people were remarking enviously on my rose gold bangle inherited from her, which is satisfying heavy and thick (as well as beautiful). This is a change from when it was given to me--people then used to say unbelievingly, "Is that gold? That color?" But now rose gold is part of the highest end watches, and everyone recognizes what it is.
But I loved the bracelet even when they didn't.

I'm glad that my 9 yr old daughter will have an awesome collection when she is a young woman. I'm sure that I will be helping our 2 sons and maybe families of their own (with grandkids - oh my) that it is really nice that I will have jewelry from those "younger days".

I'm building my collection before I go off to med school in 2 years and get married (possibly in 2 or 3 years as well). My mom always jokes that I better get a good job to support my habits!

I hate to say it, but diapers and toys and preschools put a huge dent in our budget. I think if you are at a point where you can do it it's fine, but small children are expensive too. I should have done more while I was still single because I think that's the last time I didn't have to weigh my choices and I'm sure a lot of us put our kids first.

I agree Nelmi. I totally couldn't do it while my kids were in preschool. But it gets easier when they're 9-15. Driving is a whole other story. And 2 kids driving - big shopping indulgences are done!

haha this thread is hilarious! well I have no husband, and no kids.....so i definitely spend my money as I see fit! :P i guess I am at that stage where i'm "selfish" because I only have me to take care of!
I'll take advantage of it while I can!!!:graucho::lol:

LOL, YES to this thread!!!!

I'm lucky enough to have DS1 in pt *free* pre-k atm, and stay home w the boys (so no sitter expenses there)...

I'm enjoying my "push present" years for all that they're worth!

I've already noticed as they've gotten older *needing* to buy them x, y, z... clothes, shoes, trinkets at Tarjay... and w #3 on the way...

This is my last "push present" moment, that's for sure!!!!!!

Omg, forget sports, private school, driving, cell phones... feeding a small army of hungry boys...! Whew!

LOL, YES to this thread!!!!

I'm lucky enough to have DS1 in pt *free* pre-k atm, and stay home w the boys (so no sitter expenses there)...

I'm enjoying my "push present" years for all that they're worth!

I've already noticed as they've gotten older *needing* to buy them x, y, z... clothes, shoes, trinkets at Tarjay... and w #3 on the way...

This is my last "push present" moment, that's for sure!!!!!!

Omg, forget sports, private school, driving, cell phones... feeding a small army of hungry boys...! Whew!

Oh, I am ALL about milking the push presents! I'm sorry I've mucked up my abs and had two C-sections and gone through a whole year of breastfeeding 2x, and we're thinking of doing it AGAIN, and he gets to enjoy our little DD's just as much without having to do anything more than have some fun one night :P ... I darn well deserve a little pressie!!!

I ended up buying my own (well after he bought me a lovely silver locket for my first, but it's kind of victorian/vintage looking and a nice heirloom but not everyday wearable)... for #2 I got myself the Van Cleef 20 motif necklace :yahoo: which ALMOST made all the awful v-bac-to-c-section 27 hour torture worth while! (I DARE him to say I didn't earn THAT one!) Already plotting 1.2 tcw diamond studs for #3 sometime next year! :smile: I just don't tell him how much they are or he'd LOSE IT!!

What are you planning for your last big push pressie? :smile:

I'm glad that my 9 yr old daughter will have an awesome collection when she is a young woman. I'm sure that I will be helping our 2 sons and maybe families of their own (with grandkids - oh my) that it is really nice that I will have jewelry from those "younger days".

These "rationalizations" are never-ending!!!

Love it!!!!