Buy a Kelly w/out shoulder straps?

qmanh

May 1, 2008
Protero.com has a 28cm Kelly, circa 1989 for ~$2200. It's in good condition but doesnt come with box, dust bag, or shoulder straps. Did Kellys' from 20 years ago not come with shoulder straps? I'm on the fence about making a bid. Do you use your shoulder straps often? and does anyone have experience with this auction site? TIA:smile:

i think you mean portero
check the discuss eBay sellers thread on them
authenticity will not be an issue.

i personally never use the strap on my 28 Kelly cuz it's more my style to carry that bag by the handle (which i wrapped in a twilly to make it even more precious)
but i have seen action pix of members carrying theirs on their shoulder and it looks great that way too.
you can research the answer to your strap question on the reference threads; sorry i don't have a definitive answer for you. i do know that in 2000/2001 the hardware on the top of the Kelly bags was modified with an additional metal loop on each side of the handle to accommodate the strap though.

In 1989 they did not come with a shoulder strap. I personally like the shoulder strap option but its not necessary. Especially in a 28cm. The bag doesnt really get heavy. If you want to order a strap it does take about a year to get it and cost approximately $400. I dont think its all that easy to get.

qmanh.......those lovely older bags did not come with shoulder straps. You CAN order one from the store OR keep your eyes peeled for one in the color way you need through a reseller. Also, you can find a sleeper on eBay sometimes if you need one....I have a vintage Kelly I store in a boot bag that came with my winter Prada's!

Thanks Laila T, Luccibag, Coleigh, Smom, and Suzie for your help:yes: I do have one more question. This bag doesnt seem to come with a lock and key. Is this something that you would have to order at H? I thought all Kellys came with lock and key:wondering

Thanks Laila T, Luccibag, Coleigh, Smom, and Suzie for your help:yes: I do have one more question. This bag doesnt seem to come with a lock and key. Is this something that you would have to order at H? I thought all Kellys came with lock and key:wondering

Yes you would need to order these from Hermes.

^have you ever carried a kelly before, qmanh? I love my lock and clochette on the Bolide and Birkin, but I can't stand having the clochette and lock on my kelly. I end up hitting myself with it constantly.

If you know for sure that you have to have them, maybe someone else can chime in on price, but for me they just get in the way on the kelly. I'm always thrilled to get a really good buy on a bag because it's missing the stuff I leave off anyway.

And I think you'd want the clochette too, if you're going that route. The lock and key alone probably won't make you as happy.