Buy 2 - Toss 2?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
In my neverending quest to declutter the closets - I have another opinion question. When you buy new jeans as it seems like many of you do a lot - do you get rid of some or do you just keep accumulating more and more? I've recently bought current/elliot and a new J Brand and I just feel I have so much. But I had to buy the new ones cause they are so amazing! I hate to get rid of expensive premium jeans but they take up so much space in my small closet. I keep telling myself no more but there will always be more!

I think that's always a GREAT rule for having a wardrobe full of things you like. When you buy something new, you should get rid of something old that you either don't like or just never wear anymore. Sell it, give it to Salvation Army, hand it over to a friend.

It all accumulates. Eventually, I'll end up wearing something old when I can't wear whatever it is I just bought. Then usually every month or so, I pick a day to wipe out my closet. It's overwhelming, but I can't afford to get rid of something every time I get something new!

Designer jeans are the one thing I can't get rid of! I have a drawer for each designer and that's how I make space for new pairs...but obviously that bright idea isn't working so well as I continue to make purchases...

Living in Manhattan means my closet is expensive real estate. I always divide my rent by the square feet of my apartment to determine how much my closet space cost per month. Then I look at the item in question and look at whether it's worth that cost per month to sit in my closet. If I haven't worn it in a while, it usually gets passed on to friends or the Salvation Army.

Living in Manhattan means my closet is expensive real estate. I always divide my rent by the square feet of my apartment to determine how much my closet space cost per month. Then I look at the item in question and look at whether it's worth that cost per month to sit in my closet. If I haven't worn it in a while, it usually gets passed on to friends or the Salvation Army.

That's fascinating! Is it too cheeky to ask how much rent you pay on your closet space???

i need to sort out my closet too! i'm in college so i move often, but i can't seem to toss things away. i have too many things i don't wear or use and i really should donate them when i get a chance...

That's fascinating! Is it too cheeky to ask how much rent you pay on your closet space???

I know, I am such a geek! :shame:

We pay about $110 a month to store just my clothing and shoes in closets. It's about $65 to store bf's clothing and shoes. Total closet costs: $175/month.

Compare this to when I was in university in a small city; I paid $550 (today's money) a month for my one bedroom apartment, all inclusive.

One time I went to an open house on Central Park West (prime real estate in NY) where a newbie actress lived (the agent didn't tell us who). She had manolos and CLs lined up on her closet floor. She didn't put up shelves or anything to take advantage of the vertical space. :wtf: The agent told us we don't have to waste our rent like her. All we had to do was put in shelving. That's when I got my idea to figure out the cost of my closet space per month.

You can bet I look at my purchases carefully, not only in terms of quality, style or price, but also the cost of having it idle in my closet. It's all economics for me!