Butter Alexa

Marquesa

O.G.
Feb 16, 2010
Hello fashionistas,

I recently purchased my first love Mulberry, a Butter Alexa, and have been scrolling through the forums for a while looking for feedback on the Alexa and in particular, reactions to the colour. I haven't found too much, and having been searching for awhile now. I was first struck by the elegance and the graciousness of the Butter, and discovered Mulberry with this handbag alone.

I love the Alexa design and have always felt that the Alexa looks better in lighter colours. I also love the nude leather plonge Alexa, while the Oak is a classic and IMO the darkest I would go (though even still I find that the Oak can look a little intimidating and serious for the type of bag it really is).

I am absolutely in love with my Butter Alexa, and have never received as many stares and loud compliments as when I wear her. She seems to dress me up and complement whatever I wear.

This thread may be a little retro now as Mulberry have informed me that Butter is finished now as a summer 2010 colour, but here are my questions:

- how has your Butter Alexa aged? (leather grain, colour transfer, patina)
- how do you accessorise the Butter? (what colour wallet, purse, style)
- has the quality of the Butter Alexa been consistent with that of other Alexa colours?
- any colour transfer issues? Has she been prone to scratches or dirt?
- does the Butter dress you up or do you need to accessorise and match your wardrobe well? and
- what contrasting or complementary colours do you wear the Butter Alexa with (blue jeans, etc)

I'll post some photos when I work out how to do it properly. Hoping to hear from you!

I don't think there are too many butter bags around, but I'm sure someone will give you some opinions in the morning!

Good to hear you're in love and love your bag - congrats!

I think butter will look good with lots of colours, black and some grays for a more formal look, and all the brigher colours such as blue, green, purple and perhaps pink/red, for a more informal look. Floral tops etc.

Thanks, Thea Berry.

Well it looks as though after one week of use, my coveted Butter Alexa has started to unstitch at the back, and I'm frankly just scared she will break.

I find this heartbreaking - I have admired the Alexa for such a long time now, and just feel so disappointed - she is a 'high maintenance' bag and I have treated her lovingly.

What would you gals do? Would you repair or return it? If this much stitching has undone after one week, how will she fare for a lifetime, even if she is repaired?

Marquesa I can't believe your back has started to unstitch after a week!! That is really bad, definitely take it into Mulberry and see what they say. Please keep us updated!

Marquesa sorry to hear you have had some problems with the stitching on your Alexa :sad: I hope you manage to get it fixed?

I have the butter Alexa and I have used her loads!

• I have found the leather to get better the more I carry her. I only use the top handle which I think helps "wear in" the leather.
  • Inside the bag I use my putty leopard pouch which goes really nicely and I hang a Mulberry black heart on the outside :smile:
  • I was able to choose which Alexa I wanted when I bought her, so have great thick leather.
  • I sprayed her with colloni when I got her and regularly give her a clean with leather wipes and then respray the colloni, so no scratches or stains so far (I have not "babied" her so she has survived well so far!)
  • I have managed to wear my butter with most of my outfits! It seems to go with ALOT! I like wearing her with jeans but am always extra careful about colour transfer from my jeans to the bag. Alexas go with day and evening dresses, skirts, jeans...I want another one....
  • I always get compliments when I wear her as most people haven't seen butter. They are always disappointed when I say its a discontinued colour now.

Hope this helps a little and you manage to get yours fixed.;)

Marquesa sorry to hear you have had some problems with the stitching on your Alexa :sad: I hope you manage to get it fixed?

I have the butter Alexa and I have used her loads!

• I have found the leather to get better the more I carry her. I only use the top handle which I think helps "wear in" the leather.
  • Inside the bag I use my putty leopard pouch which goes really nicely and I hang a Mulberry black heart on the outside :smile:
  • I was able to choose which Alexa I wanted when I bought her, so have great thick leather.
  • I sprayed her with colloni when I got her and regularly give her a clean with leather wipes and then respray the colloni, so no scratches or stains so far (I have not "babied" her so she has survived well so far!)
  • I have managed to wear my butter with most of my outfits! It seems to go with ALOT! I like wearing her with jeans but am always extra careful about colour transfer from my jeans to the bag. Alexas go with day and evening dresses, skirts, jeans...I want another one....
  • I always get compliments when I wear her as most people haven't seen butter. They are always disappointed when I say its a discontinued colour now.

Hope this helps a little and you manage to get yours fixed.;)

HandbagAddict4Ever, may I ask what leather wipes you use? I think my butter Alexa could do with some :smile:

^^ Sure I have used the Mr Sheen leather wipes. I haven't had any problems with them, I lightly run over the surface of the leather and give the corners a little more attention if they are scuffed, then I colloni spray. Hope that helps! :flowers:

I am kind of interested in Butter Alexa~ Is it a very light yellow? Will it shows dirt easily?

Heya, i just bought my butter alexa and it is gorgeous! However becareful when wearing dark coloured clothing as mine got dark marks on it where the material rubbed on the bag..but...fear not, i actually tried Dettol (no bleach/no alcohol) wipes and it came off with almost no effort. Then i buffed it dry with a dry towel/cloth. The colour is not too bright..absolutely amazing and I am over the moon!! :smile: you should definitely try to get your hand son one!!! XXXXX

OP, i'd definitely take your bag in and have it assessed for repairs - it's still under warranty so they should sort it out for you.

i agree that butter isn't the most common colour in people's collections around here, but there are a few lurking. i love admiring it, but could never wear it myself as i just don't suit yellow. i know that mitzys came in butter too (and maybe some other bags?) so other butter owners may be able to help with your butter-related queries. good luck with the repair.

Marquesa, i hope you can get yours fixed by Mulberry. There's nothing more annoying than 'delicate' designer handbag that we pay a fortune for but doesn't stand up to daily use.