Burberry Trench Alterations?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Fall Sale is now live! Save up to 40% on Nordy's best brands, including bags, shoes, clothes, home, and kids'. Click to shop.
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Last year I bought a classic Burberry trench. It's what I always wanted, but it was a little too large (ordered it on-line). I kept it anyway and decided the roominess was something I could live with.

This year I've decided it really is just too big. My question is, can a seamstress take in the side seams in to make it fit better? I figure that shortening the arms won't be a problem, but the overall coat is too big by about one size.

I should have just exchanged it last year, but I wanted it so badly that I foolishly kept it.
    :confused1:

2. I wish I knew the answer to this because I am in the same boat. I got a size 2, thinking SURELY it would fit because I wear a 6, but it is huge. I wanted to know if I could get the arms and body taken in so they would have a more fitted look. Right now it is like I am walking around in a box

3. It depends. If it really is too big overall it will be difficult to make it fit in certain areas, like the shoulders.

4. You can bring it into the Burberry stores for alternations, I think. At least they offer it to you when you first buy the trench. I've also heard they'll replace buttons if they have it for you.

I spoke with my tailor about altering a jacket in the shoulder and the waist. It's a very difficult job to do it properly (and you want to do that on a Burberry!). It's easiest if you want to shorten the hem or the sleeves.

5. My mother had the same problem with her Burberry trench. She took it to the local tailor (who is VERY experienced) and they had no problem altering it. But I would suggest taking it to a reputable tailor as it’s not an easy alteration. I think the whole process cost her about $50 in the end.

6. That's good to know. I suspected it would be a tricky thing to do. I'm debating about giving it to my sister and buying a new one in the correct size, but IDK. It cost well over $1,000 and that's a lot of money for me.

7. I need to get mine a bit smaller in the waist as well, since my waist is small compared to my breast.