Burberry Chelsea Trench

Ranunculus

Nov 19, 2017
I'm thinking of buying my first Burberry trench coat and tried on the Chelsea style in the Honey color at the boutique. It was very slim fitting and somewhat tight in the shoulder/armpit area, and I'm wondering if others who might own this style have found that it loosens up a bit over time? I also asked to try on the Sandringham, which was a bit looser, but they didn't have it in the Honey colour to compare apples to apples.

Also wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the new button color? On the Chelsea they are pale buttons, but on the Sandringham they are still the dark colored (black?) buttons. Just wondering which looks more classic and will stand the test of time. I think up to now, most trenches had the dark colored buttons, so wondering if the Heritage line now with the pale buttons still look classic.?

Thanks!

Attachments

• CL.jpg
    CL.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 506
  • SL.jpg
    SL.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 549
I bought a Chelsea trench recently, I especially chose the darker colored because I like the contrast better. I also like the old discontinued stone color better than honey for myself. However, my mother’s vintage 90s trench has the pale buttons, so I guess that may be the more traditional choice?

I like dark buttons on my Sandringham. I don't believe it'd loosen up a bit over time because it's Cotton Gabardine but you can ask if they can offer tailoring services.

I would try the Kensington also. The Chelsea is super tight and very hard to layer. Mine is the darker buttons which I prefer.

They do not stretch so try on the jacket with a sweater or what you plan to wear underneath so you don’t regret it. Don’t let the SA convince you otherwise.

I actually went up a size as I felt it was too snug when I crossed my arms high. The SA I should get the smaller snug size but I am so glad I did not listen to her.

By the way, these trench coats come in three different lengths. I wanted one to wear for spring and fall and I wanted a more chicer look to go with jeans (think skinny jeans, short booties). I chose the short length. The SA at first said no... go with medium length but after she saw me with the short length and jeans she said the short was perfect. Just FYI as you may want to think about how you plan to wear it and during what seasons.

Good luck.

Reactions: katlina
I bought a Chelsea trench recently, I especially chose the darker colored because I like the contrast better. I also like the old discontinued stone color better than honey for myself. However, my mother’s vintage 90s trench has the pale buttons, so I guess that may be the more traditional choice?

Yes, I think I might prefer the discontinued stone color as well. I tried the coat in Honey again and it was okay, but I wasn't in love with it. Thanks for your thoughts and opinion Aksaiyo!

I like dark buttons on my Sandringham. I don't believe it'd loosen up a bit over time because it's Cotton Gabardine but you can ask if they can offer tailoring services.

I would try the Kensington also. The Chelsea is super tight and very hard to layer. Mine is the darker buttons which I prefer.

They do not stretch so try on the jacket with a sweater or what you plan to wear underneath so you don’t regret it. Don’t let the SA convince you otherwise.

I actually went up a size as I felt it was too snug when I crossed my arms high. The SA I should get the smaller snug size but I am so glad I did not listen to her.

By the way, these trench coats come in three different lengths. I wanted one to wear for spring and fall and I wanted a more chicer look to go with jeans (think skinny jeans, short booties). I chose the short length. The SA at first said no... go with medium length but after she saw me with the short length and jeans she said the short was perfect. Just FYI as you may want to think about how you plan to wear it and during what seasons.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions Ipsum and Willeyi. I tried on the coat again and I seem to be completely between sizes. The new season also only comes in two lengths now so it seems like Burberry has really limited the options. I think I will hold off for now until I find something that fits better. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: ipsum
Yes, I think I might prefer the discontinued stone color as well. I tried the coat in Honey again and it was okay, but I wasn't in love with it. Thanks for your thoughts and opinion Aksaiyo!

Thanks for the suggestions Ipsum and Willeyi. I tried on the coat again and I seem to be completely between sizes. The new season also only comes in two lengths now so it seems like Burberry has really limited the options. I think I will hold off for now until I find something that fits better. Thanks for your help!
Have you ever considered going preloved? I own a brand new trench (the sandringham, honey, in the EXTRA long length - I am only 1.60 but wanted it to be chic and long, a bit like the olsen twins wear theirs... also: more fabric, more buttons, which makes it more special but thats just me). but i also own Preloved: I bought the infamous full on trench in shearling via secondhand market as otherwise i would never in my life have been able to afford it. I dont remember the retail price, its the one kate middleton aka duchess of cambridge worre this year, too... It was in outstanding condition as someone had bought it small and gained weight etc. If the other coloured buttons are what you want along with a diff. colour and length, maybe a luxury secondhand retailer is for you? theres plenty of sites... I am usually in the chanel forum, where preloved is very much a thing.