Burberry Brit coats are too big – alterations possible?

qogofud

Jun 2, 2015
Hello! I've tried searching previous threads and couldn't find definitive answers. I've recently bought two Burberry Brit coats – the Daylesmoore and the [URL="http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446830034&R=5045458036480&P_name=Burberry+Brit&sid=1525786A7DBA&Ntt=rushfield&N=0&bmUID=l9ntTpH]Rushfield[/URL] – both in US 6. I'm 5 feet and petite all around, except for in the bust area, which makes buying clothes difficult. :sad: The US 4 was a perfect fit everywhere else except for the chest, so I opted for the US 6. Unfortunately, the 6 is really big everywhere else: body, armhole, and shoulders, in particular. My understanding is that it's usually a bad idea to have the shoulders altered – would Burberry tailors be willing to do it?

I plan on visiting the Burberry boutique in Boston soon but the return window is getting shorter and shorter for the coats! They're so beautiful and I'd really hate to let them go, but it'd be good to know if the consensus is that the alterations would be too extensive.

Last edited:

jessl

Nov 29, 2013
Hi! I came across your post looking for an answer to a smiliar problem i'm having. I can't answer your question but wanted to chime in. I bought a preowned but never worn trench and it's a bit big, specifically in the shoulders and arms. I definitely need to have the length shortened and am debating if it's worth adjusting the rest or just sending it back. It's a bit stiff as is so i'm wondering if it will soften up over time and the shoulders will look less broad. I'm planning on visiting my local boutique to ask their opinion so I'll let you know what they say!

I've extensively altered a Burberry coat before and it came out fine, but I really trust my tailor. She always tells me whether she can make the alterations without the item looking disproportional/weird--I've taken stuff back before based on her recommendation. So, I would find someone top-notch and ask his/her opinion.

qogofud

Jun 2, 2015
Hi! I came across your post looking for an answer to a smiliar problem i'm having. I can't answer your question but wanted to chime in. I bought a preowned but never worn trench and it's a bit big, specifically in the shoulders and arms. I definitely need to have the length shortened and am debating if it's worth adjusting the rest or just sending it back. It's a bit stiff as is so i'm wondering if it will soften up over time and the shoulders will look less broad. I'm planning on visiting my local boutique to ask their opinion so I'll let you know what they say!

This is a very late reply, but thank you for your input! I hope you were able to get it tailored to your liking :smile: I finally got the chance to visit the boutique in Boston and while they alter anything Burberry (even if it's not from the boutique), they said they never touch shoulders. Oh well – I think I'll have to find a tailor when I have the time!

qogofud

Jun 2, 2015
I've extensively altered a Burberry coat before and it came out fine, but I really trust my tailor. She always tells me whether she can make the alterations without the item looking disproportional/weird--I've taken stuff back before based on her recommendation. So, I would find someone top-notch and ask his/her opinion.

Such a late reply, but thank you very much for your input! I think I really need to find a tailor that I can build a relationship with!

jessl

Nov 29, 2013
This is a very late reply, but thank you for your input! I hope you were able to get it tailored to your liking :smile: I finally got the chance to visit the boutique in Boston and while they alter anything Burberry (even if it's not from the boutique), they said they never touch shoulders. Oh well – I think I'll have to find a tailor when I have the time!

I did fortunately! I ended up only having the sleeves and hem shortened, the SA at my Burberry store said they could do the shoulders but it would be extensive and costly so she wouldn't recommend it. In the end I think my adjustments were fine since it was only about a half a size or so too big. Good luck with yours!

mf112

Mar 23, 2016
I know what you mean - ( first I am a guy so I have a men;s brit coat ) but I got it this winter it's an awesome coat but its way baggy in the body so I always get that pooch sticking out and it can make me look like a snow man kkkkk
I wanted in taken in but now winter is over - still it's a great coat !

Attachments

• 20160325_093032.jpg
    20160325_093032.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 374
  • 20160325_093118.jpg
    20160325_093118.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 370