Burberry and PVC

Dorf

Nov 14, 2012
Gucci has announced they will stop using PVC in all their products by 2017, as a more envirement friendly company. Do you think Burberry will follow the same footsteps? -and what will then happen to the Smoked Check line, which are made of 100% pvc?

Dorf

Nov 14, 2012
The classic Haymarket Check had PVC as well. This is an interesting topic.
Has it? I didn't know that. Gucci has solved the problem by replacing the pvc on their coated canvas, with a more eco friendly material.

Christofle

Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
Coated canvas is not the same thing as PVC at all. PVC is polyvinyl chloride, which is a petroleum based plastic. Coated canvas is just what it sounds like, a fabric that is impregnated with a coating used to waterproof and prevent stains. Technical canvas's used for waterproof coats are very similar in nature, but instead have a more malleable coating to permit movement. (e.g. Loro Piana's storm system).

Miss Burberry

Mar 22, 2013
I thought the coating on the canvas was made of PVC. That's what the associates told me when I bought my bag anyways.

bakeacookie

Nov 2, 2008
SoCal
The tag on my bag says 100% cotton coated with PVC.

But I recall reading online that it says 85% PVC and 15% cotton. Perhaps it differed per item?

Dorf

Nov 14, 2012
I thought the coating on the canvas was made of PVC. That's what the associates told me when I bought my bag anyways.
This was the case with the "GG" coated canvas bags from Gucci also, but they replaced the PVC (Plus) coating with a more eco-friendly material called Supreme canvas. I'm more worried about the Imprime line though, as it looks like plane PVC. In any case, homeage to Gucci for going ahead as a model. It wouldn't surprised me if rest of the luxury companies will follow. I wonder how LV will solve the "problem" as they have LOTS of canvas items coated in PVC.