Bunny Lovers Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raffie:
n22002505_32591340_1805.jpg

Those are some serious tufts going on there Raffie!!! :girlsigh:

Sred I LOVE the pic of your bunnies "sheer delighting" (lying on sides with heads down). I don't know what everyone else calls it but I saw the description in an old bunny book that I bought when I got my first bunny 15+ yrs ago and it just stuck!

My BF and I have all sorts of different silly words for the different things that the bunnies do... sometimes when they lay with their heads flat on the floor we say that they're "pelting" (since they look like pelts on a floor lol :Push:smile: and when Muffin does that because she has her floopy ears we say that she's "puddeling" because her ears look like little puddles... Its so funny because I've had bunnies all my life, but before my BF and I met he had no experience with them, and he is still (two years later mind you lol) surprised as to how much personality and spunk they have!!! :lol:

ROFLMAO....yes, Raffie is a fuzzy fuzzy bunny

so cute! and i love his little white paws... my bunnies who are more light colored always get grass stains when they play outside for too long.. OH and when eating a carrot they get a little orange around the mouth.. which then means that they need to wash for the next 5+ minutes :rolleyes: :girlsigh:

All of the pics and stories make me want another bunny more than I already did! When I was little, I got Peter Rabbit for my 7th birthday. He was a good bunny - litter trained, and a lot of fun. Then when Peter died, I got Benjamin Bunny. Benji was supposed to be a Holland Lop, but only one ear ever lopped, so he looked like a helicopter. When he was mad or excited, he would THUMP his back foot (sometimes both!) on the floor and take off running. Sooo sweet. He died shortly after I moved to campus freshman year in college.

I have been hinting to DF that I'd like another one, but he says no... I'm going to keep working on him...

so cute! and i love his little white paws... my bunnies who are more light colored always get grass stains when they play outside for too long.. OH and when eating a carrot they get a little orange around the mouth.. which then means that they need to wash for the next 5+ minutes :rolleyes: :girlsigh:

This reminds me of when my boyfriends bunny Bella (looks like Raffie) got a lot of green around her mouth...I thought it was mold and PANICKED...we fed her pellets only for a few days and it went away....apparently she's a messy princess.

Do any of you have experience with blocked tear ducts?

Basically, Honey's eye was running, so we took her to the vets a few weeks ago & they said it was because her teeth were growing funny & that they would need to operate on her teeth. So that gets done, they say she's fine to come home & give us meds & eye drops for her. Don't tell us anything else, just that her surgery was fine & to give her them. So we assumed everything was fine like they said & took her home.

Well it had been 2 weeks & her eye was still running & her eye drops had just ran out. So my mum took her to the vets today & the lady there said that after the op they'd flushed her tear ducts out & one was blocked. & it will be that way permenantly & we should be washing it out with salt water every evening. Does this sound right to you? I mean the vet nurse who discharged her gave us the impression that we give her these drops & everything will clear up, she said nothing about a permenantly blocked duct! Also, she never mentioned any more tooth surgery, but we were told today she will need it every 5-6 months, now that doesn't sound odd to me since I've heard of a few bunnies going back every 6 or so months to be sorted again.. but the tear duct thing? Can it really be permenant? I'm really annoyed they never told us, I mean we probably should of been salt water washing these past 2 weeks?!

I've done some research but I can't find anything on blocked tear ducts, apart from it could be infection/teeth problems etc.. nothing mentions permenant anything?!

Sorry this is so long!! x

I've done some research but I can't find anything on blocked tear ducts, apart from it could be infection/teeth problems etc.. nothing mentions permenant anything?!

Hey there! No personal experience, but I will PM you some great forums/links that are just about bunnies- they might have some solutions for you. I frequent them and know they are great

Basically, Honey's eye was running, so we took her to the vets a few weeks ago & they said it was because her teeth were growing funny & that they would need to operate on her teeth. So that gets done, they say she's fine to come home & give us meds & eye drops for her. Don't tell us anything else, just that her surgery was fine & to give her them. So we assumed everything was fine like they said & took her home.

Well it had been 2 weeks & her eye was still running & her eye drops had just ran out. So my mum took her to the vets today & the lady there said that after the op they'd flushed her tear ducts out & one was blocked. & it will be that way permenantly & we should be washing it out with salt water every evening. Does this sound right to you? I mean the vet nurse who discharged her gave us the impression that we give her these drops & everything will clear up, she said nothing about a permenantly blocked duct! Also, she never mentioned any more tooth surgery, but we were told today she will need it every 5-6 months, now that doesn't sound odd to me since I've heard of a few bunnies going back every 6 or so months to be sorted again.. but the tear duct thing? Can it really be permenant? I'm really annoyed they never told us, I mean we probably should of been salt water washing these past 2 weeks?!

God, I'm so sorry you're going through this!!! ... two of my bunnies have had this and because their teeth are constantly growing they've had to be put under and had their teeth "grinded" (ground?) down two and three times each. (yes, its expensive and yes it has been 6 months to a year in between each time)

As for the blocked tear ducts I'm not sure about it being permenant.. with my bunnies after they've recovered from the surgery they've been fine... You could probably go different Vet's in your area and ask them just to be sure???

I hope Honey feels better soon!!!!!! :heart:

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to ask you all about. I don't know if Evander has dental problems - he got his teeth trimmed a while ago because I was worried about that, but his left eye has been running. Sometimes the fur around his eye gets matted. I hope it's not related to his teeth and I sure hope it's not a blocked tear duct but I have been cleaning it with warm salt water and last night I tried chamomile tea. Should I take him to the vet? He HATES the vet but I want to make sure his eye is healthy!

i've sent a couple o f you ladies links to great sites and forums to research tear ducts (not sure if i am allowed to post them here). please always feel free to PM me if you need any info.... Keep lovin your bunnies! they are all sooooooo cute!

Thankyou for the PM Bella! Very helplful websites!

Sred2 - Sorry for your bunnies having to go through this too! I'm dreading next time Honey needs it done, I was sooo worried about her. My dad's jaw pretty much hit the floor when he found out how much she cost us.. and that it would be every few months! LOL. But she's so worth it. We don't really have any other vets in the area, but Honey usually see's a different Vet in the clinic each time, so I might ask one of the other vets for their opinion. I feel so bad for her having a runny eye 24/7. :sad:

Jellybebe - Honey has had runny eyes twice, once it was just an infection & it cleared up with eye drops. The second time it was from her teeth being overgrown.. well that's what they said at the time, but maybe it was down to a blocked duct all along? Runny eyes/nose can also be the sign of a cold, so yeah I'd probably get him checked out just to be sure! Hope his eye clears up soon!

BTW, I do have another question, possibly a stupid one. Has anyone else's bunny changed behaviour after anasthetic or several stressful vet visits? She used to be the most sweet natured rabbit ever, always used litterbox etc. Since her surgery she's bit me properly once & nipped at me a few times and pooped all over me! She's never bit me before & only chewed on clothes as a baby! & she never poops out of her litter box! Maybe it's just because she's mad at me?!

Just thought I'd start a thread for us bag loving bunny lovers :smile:

I'll start: I'm Catherine, I have 4 bunnies and 1 that is sort of mine = 5.

My babies are Chester (black with white nose) and Sarafina (white with blue eyes). Sarafina was adopted after Chester's brother Frankie passed this October. Frankie is the "poster boy" for our local rabbit adoption shelter :smile:

I also have a sassy girl Lexi who lives with her Holland Lop boyfriend Raphael :smile: They all have mansions made of NIC cubes!! I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

My 5th "kind of mine" bunny is Bella. She is my boyfriends. He adopted her a few years ago initially as a Sweetest Day gift to me,but int he process of hiding her from me, fell in love with her himself. She's a Holland Lop too.

My babies that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge are Frankie, and Chocolate (a dwarf). I wear a beautiful heart with a hand engraving of their pictures.

Here are some of my babies pictures! (I take them to Spa Day at the local shelter every few months to get "glamour" pictures!)

Oh, PS- I'm from Chicago and I'm usually in the LV forum,but you can find me in the CL forum and Coach one too. My other favorites are this one, the beauty bar (anything to do with hair extensions!- is there a thread for that already....darn search feature), and jewelry.

n22002505_32239570_1741.jpg

Let me know if you want to see more of my other bunnies! Post your pictures and a little about you!!!!

OMG my BunBun looks like your Chester!

Status
Not open for further replies.