Bunnies!!

I was wondering if the breed of the dog would have anything to do with how the bunny and puppy get along? I know that some breeds are born 'ratters' like the Jack Russell and other terriers. Either way, you should be very careful when introducing a new pet.

I had a bunny for 11 years, and he was the love of my life. He lived inside ( where bunnies belong!) and he was trained to hop into his cage when he had to use the little bunny's room. :smile:

They're VERY sociable, and verrrrry cuddly if handled well when they;re young. He had the funniest little personality- he demanded that he be pet whenever one of us was near him- and he was running around. :smile:

I TOTALLY reccomend getting a bunny! Mine was a mini-lop, verrrry cuddly.:heart:

heres a link to an image of a mini-lop- awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhttp://image24.webshots.com/24/1/84/16/26918416WxkoZkISDb_ph.jpg

Yes, I think bunnies are very smart and loving pets. They are trainable and I remember mine was also so cuddly and happy, During time to serve him food lol he did the little hop dance when his happie!=) Mine was ok with my cat.

snowwhite said:
I have a pet bunny--we also have dogs, but the bunny has her "own" room. (It's the guest room, but we call it "the bunny room.")

I agree that rabbits can run free in the house BUT they do chew, and some more than others! One of my rabbits chewed the binding on books--that was her thing. Another loved electrical cords, (which can be dangerous!) and another loovved to pull out the yarn of the carpet--she literally made all four corners of the carpet completely bald!!!

Bunnies can be wonderful pets, BUT you do need to watch them when they are out. Some can learn to leave the chewables alone, and some will never, ever give it up. (Their teeth are always growing, so it's instinctive.) I give mine green tree branches to munch on.

Male rabbits shouls always be neutered, or they will "spray" (pee) to mark their territory. Rabbits are VERY territorial!

It's important to make sure your bunny has a litter box, because they can absolutely be trained to use it! (They are quite clean.)

Rabbits are affectionate, sweet animals who require attention. It's important to be sure you have time for them if you are thinking of adopting one. I don't mean to sound bossy, I just really care about rabbits, and all animals!

All rabbits, both male and female, MUST be spayed/neutered.

Both males and females can spray and mark their territory (yuck)

Rabbits, expecially female rabbits, are extremely prone to reproductive cancers. I once read that about 80% of all female rabbits will have some sort of reprocudtive cancer/disease by the time they are 5.

Spayed/neutered rabbits are much nicer bunnies. You'll know when your bun has hit puberty, and you'll want that hormonal behavior to end as soon as possible. Spaying/neutering will pretty much end it forever.

Sherri S. said:
Can rabbits and cats live happily together? Do they need separate litter boxes? I've had a rabbit before, but never at the same time as a cat. Would it work? If you think it would, I would love to get another bunny.

Yes, they definitely need separate litterboxers, and the bunny must not be able to get to the cat's litterbox. Kitty litter is often made of clay or other clumping materials. Bunnies sometimes eat their litter, and kitty litter will give the rabbit a fatal blockage in their intestine if they ingest any. Kitty litter also tends to have "freshness" stuff (like those little blue crystals), which would probably be toxic to a bunny.

Rabbits can be socialized to live around cats and dogs, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk.

Oh, and since it is the Easter season, I highly encourage everyone to discourage people from buying rabbits for children. Rabbit+child is one of the worst combinations on earth. Even quiet, gentle children will probably frighten or mis-handle rabbits. Rabbits have very delicate bone structures and can literally die of fright if they become so scared that they have a heart attack. Also, children tend to become bored with bunnies as they (either the child or the rabbit) grow. People tend to severely underestimate the commitment and responsibility a rabbit requires.

So if you here of anyone looking to give a rabbit as a gift, please warn them and direct them to www.rabbit.org

Oh, and if any of you are considering getting a rabbit, feel free to pm me with any questions:smile: . I also typed up a rabbit care guide 2 summers ago out of boredom, so I would be happy to e-mail it to whoever wants it:smile: .

Sherri S. said:
Can rabbits and cats live happily together? Do they need separate litter boxes? I've had a rabbit before, but never at the same time as a cat. Would it work? If you think it would, I would love to get another bunny.

Of course cats and rabbits can live happily together. I have two Netherland Dwarfs, one is a seal point (Jammy!) and the other is a beautiful strawberry (Fluffer!). They get along with my cats and dog just fine. :biggrin: