Bunnies And Guinea Pigs? HELP

June343

Aug 3, 2007
Ok Ladies, I need advice here, I have read alot of conflicting things about bunnies and guinea pigs, I would love to know your opnion on it, Here's the deal, I have two sweet dwarf bunnies, spayed, of course, And was thinking of adopting a guinea pig, that has been at my vets for almost a year now,who's partially blind, My vet is a great vet and thinks that it will be ok, as long as I understand that they eat diffrent foods, and should sleep in diffrent cages at night, (that's the only time my bunnies are caged,at night) Aslo, my bunnies are complety healthy, no disease's that they could give to the guinea pig, So my question is. Are the foods, and disease's the only reason people say you should not have both? Does anyone have experience with having both? Also my bunnies are very small around 3-4lbs, What do you think?

My rabbit used to eat Guinea Pig nuggets for the longest time. When we got him since he was being kept with Guinea's they were all on the Guinea food & my vet said it was fine to keep him on that. She also said that particular brand of Guinea Pig pelletts was actually just as healthy for him as rabbit ones. So maybe if it was a huge issue with the food they could all be on Guinea pig food?

I just saw this thread. I used to rescue guine pigs and now I have a rabbit. It was always a big controversey on the pig forums for someone to keep a rabbit with a guinea pig. The rabbits have powerful hind legs and can kick hard. This has sometimes killed the guinea pigs. The feet sometimes hit them in the kidneys or breaks the bones. Rabbits also have different nutritional requirements than guinea pigs. Guinea pigs food is formulated with lots of extra Vitamin c since they cannot store it in their bodies. Some Rabbit food is formulated with antibiotics sometimes and that can kill the guinea pig. So, not a good idea for either of them to eat each others food or have the same food. I have also heard that bunnies tend to try to dominate the rabbits in certain situations and this makes one unhappy piggy. The other concern is pasturella. A lot of bunnies are carriers of this and are never sick. Guinea pigs however are really prone to respiratory problems. I had a couple who died very fast from this. The pasturella that the bunny carries could cause severe respiraitory problems for the pig.

I would house them apart in a different rooms and wash hands between playing with them if you do get the pig.

Some links

http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guinea-Pigs-1574/rabbits.htm
http://www.rabbitsnrodents.com/rabbitsandguineas.htm

Great Links Thank You,,I would NOT be keeping them in the same housing, just in my house, they would have diff area's, I just don't think anyone will ever adopt him, cause of his blindness, It' eats at me, of how scared he is, due to all the noise at the vets, Just to be clear also, I would be buying all of the piggy's foods, vitamins,and everything else seprate he would need, I would NEVER just try to feed him what i already have(bunny food), not sure if i was clear before, It's just that jeez, what do you do, Part of me wants to make it work,because i know i could give him a great home, and part thinks maybe better listen to the experts,,

Great Links Thank You,,I would NOT be keeping them in the same housing, just in my house, they would have diff area's, I just don't think anyone will ever adopt him, cause of his blindness, It' eats at me, of how scared he is, due to all the noise at the vets, Just to be clear also, I would be buying all of the piggy's foods, vitamins,and everything else seprate he would need, I would NEVER just try to feed him what i already have(bunny food), not sure if i was clear before, It's just that jeez, what do you do, Part of me wants to make it work,because i know i could give him a great home, and part thinks maybe better listen to the experts,,

I think its ok if you keep them in different housing. I know I feel so sorry for the handicapped animals. They are hard to adopt out and they usually stay around forever at shelters and such. I had a blind and deaf piggy who also had all sorts of problems. I went to an exotic animal show and he was for sale . They had like 20 pigs in an aquarium and he was getting trampled on and looked horrible. I told the guy he needs to see a vet and he told me I could have him . I took him home and he lived for about 3-4 yrs . That was longer than I expected with his health problems. He would always get nervous when you would pick him up since he was deaf and blind but he was so sweet.