Bummed about teacher

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. This is foolish of me, but I can't help how I am feeling. I just got the letter today about my DD's class assignment and I am really disappointed about which teacher she was assigned. I really had my heart set on another teacher than the one she got. Soooo disappointed.

Of course I will get over myself, but I just wondered if other people would know what I'm talking about.

2. Is there a certain reason why you did not want your daugher to be in this teachers class?

If so, I would bring it up to the principal and ask if your daughter could be moved to a different teacher. My parents and a few others did this so their kids could all be in the same class :smile: But I went to school on a military base where people were constantly coming in and out of the schools, so I guess it was important to the school system that we keep our sense of "normalness"...Know what I mean? I dunno, that's what my parents did and it worked :smile:

3. Hi! I can understand how you are thinking. I am a teacher and also a parent. my daughter is in 3rd grade. Every year I have hopes that she might have one teacher over another but i always have to remind myself that all the teachers are very good and any teacher she gets will be great. Also remember that a lot goes into class placement for students. Administration takes into account a lot of things in order to place each child into the best environment for them. If you have concerns though I would contact administration now. If there really aren't any concerns you may find that this will be a great year after all!!

4. When I have a specific preference I always voice it before classes are decided. Of course, the school requests that parents do not ask for certain teachers, but many do. I don't do it very often, but I do have a specific preference for a certain teacher for Kindergarten and first grade.

My son had a teacher I would not have chosen for him for 2nd grade (it was not important enough to specifically request a different teacher), and it turned out to be a great experience for him. I had met the teacher, and he is one of the few male teachers in the school. He is a little gruff and expects a little more out of the kids, but my son really learned a lot of responsibility from him and had a lot of fun, too. So sometimes an unexpected teacher can be a great thing.

5. good post! i'm a teacher and mom too. i always give my boys teachers a chance.

6. Oh, I know it will be ok :yes:. It was just frustrating because we didn't get Ms. X when our son started at the school 4 years ago, and so I thought this time around since I turned in the parent form the same day and had taken advantage of early registration for my DD that there was a great chance for it to happen this time. :shrugs::rolleyes:...

But I agree, I'm sure Ms. not -X will do great!

7. me too! LOL!

All our "friends" are in other classes adn there was one specific teacher I knew I really wanted and we didn't et her.
    My little girl, God bless her, is so easy though. I thought when she read the class list I'd have to go buy her a treat to make her happy, but she looked and thought. . . then said "looks like I'll make some new friends this year!"
    Thank goodness one of us has some perspective 'cause it sure wasn't me! LOL!

8. I try to be really flexible. Once is awhile there is a teacher I really do not care for their style and only voice my opinion then, so I try to save me 'requests' for those times. KWIM?

9. I've had such situations and funnily enough some teachers I didn't have a good impression of, DS had a great time with! In general though, our school district is pretty good and the staff at DS's school are great people.

One thing I have to remember is not to get a negative impression of a teacher just because some other parent might have complained about them to me. I had a friend who did that, her DD was older than my DS and when my son went to a particular teacher's class she was like "Oh, no, that teacher's awful!!". My son had a GREAT time in that class and I just wasted a summer worrying about it!!

10. ^^Right! One person's personal opinion may have nothing to do with the teacher's ability to be a wonderful teacher! That person may have clashed with the teacher for whatever reason.