Building an adult wardrobe

blueeyedgirl

Fashion Addict!
O.G.
May 16, 2008
I am 25 years old and in college studying to be a high school English teacher. I will be graduating in under 2 years. I would like to start phasing out my "college" outfits, and getting more adult appropriate clothes.

I'm not sure where to start looking. I like Anthropologie's clothes, but I'd like other recommendations for retailers & specific pieces/types of clothes.

Thank you!

A lot of teachers I know shop at Ann Taylor & Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic for clothes that are manageable on a teacher's salary. Theory, Tory Burch, and J Crew are great for work if you can afford them.

Luckygirl just reminded me of something...Ann Taylor LOFT has a special discount program just for teachers. They get 15% off every time they shop there! http://loftlovesteachers.com/

They are already reasonably priced to begin with, so with the discount on top of that, it's a great deal. I love shopping there myself. Classic and feminine AND affordable!

Luckygirl just reminded me of something...Ann Taylor LOFT has a special discount program just for teachers. They get 15% off every time they shop there! http://loftlovesteachers.com/

They are already reasonably priced to begin with, so with the discount on top of that, it's a great deal. I love shopping there myself. Classic and feminine AND affordable!

J. Crew has a 15% educators' discount too, I think.

If you want some cheap basics I would go to target, they have a good selection of career clothing. (blouses, skirts etc.) NY&Co has trendy clothing that would work but I would recommend browsing a couple times at a Marshalls/ TJMaxx. In the winter they always have some beautiful cashmere sweaters and fun blouses all year round.

Nordstrom has a lot of dresses and suits that fit the bill. I don't know what your most comfortable in. Do you see yourself wearing skirts and sweater/sweater set or dresses or suits. Do you like pants or skirts better? Don't buy things you think will be useful. Put your money towards getting clothing you are comfortable in and are investment pieces. You can always stock up on basics with occasional standout pieces.

I would focus on the basic, classic essentials first, and then strategically build on that with fun items from stores like Anthropologie. Focus on items that you can wear both to work and in your 'real' life. That way, you're not buying two wardrobes. For the classics, buy high-quality items that will last. I would make a list and prioritize the items you will need to buy over the next two years - then you will have a game plan for moving forward and be a more focused and purposeful shopper.

...Can you tell I just went through this process myself? :P

Among what I would consider a classic essential is a black suit. The pieces can be worn as separates, making it crazy versatile - because you have the obligatory interview suit, but also something really wearable that translates into your work and 'real' life. As far as brands, personally I'm a fan of the brand Theory. Their cuts and fabrics are modern, hold up fabulously well, and look super chic.

Another classic is a wrap dress. Diane Von Furstenberg, of course, makes amazing wrap dresses in beautiful fabrics. I would choose solid colors or subtle prints over her more wild options - that way you can use accessories to make it a work or play outfit.

Once you have the essentials, then buy more playful blouses from stores like Anthropologie that you can pair with them. Like, I have some very cute silk tops that are sleeveless or backless that look like work tops with a cardigan or suit jacket over them. Then I wear them without the cardigan/jacket to go to dinner or an evening event. Voila!

I know I put a lot of emphasis on buying high-quality items - I did that, and of course, I think I did the right thing ;) - but I don't necessarily mean expensive. I shopped secondhand for a lot of my clothes, which allowed me to buy really nice pieces without spending a fortune.

I'm a teacher! Some no's in teaching are: skinny strapped tank tops, skirts and shorts that are too short, inappropriate sayings and avoid jogging suits unless if you're the physical education teacher. Only buy a full suit for interviews - they're too "stuffy" for being in the classroom. Heels are fine and I usually wear heels but have an extra pair of dressier flats if you can't stand 6 hours on heels.

Most of my wardrobe is from Hugo Boss (about 85%) and they have professional to more casual clothes so totally perfect for teaching and then going for drinks after school! :amuse: The clothes are priced affordable.

ted baker ted baker!!! (^(oo)^)

they have lots of versatile & stylish, yet grown-up items, like these dresses, which i find quite comfy & very reasonably priced as well:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

lvpiggy -- you look lovely in those dresses but I think over the top OPs work? She said high school teacher.

Luckygirl -- good advice, those were where I started for filling my wardrobe for working with affordtable yet stylish basics.

lvpiggy -- you look lovely in those dresses but I think over the top OPs work? She said high school teacher.

Luckygirl -- good advice, those were where I started for filling my wardrobe for working with affordtable yet stylish basics.

perhaps my HS teachers were unusually well dressed?? i remember my fabulously stylish french teacher, who got me hooked on all things french, was always so chic! she had this one pair of slouchy stiletto boots in particular that were TDF!!! i still haven't found a pair quite like them (^(oo)^)v