Home & Garden Building a new house, Pool bath or no pool bath?

Cheryl

Obsessed
O.G.
Jan 12, 2007
So DH and I are building a new house and we are trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra money on a 1/2 pool bath. The bath would be attached to the house but only accessible from the pool area (no inside the house)
There arent any other bathrooms nearby really but we are doing tile throughout so that makes it better. Anyway would you spend the extra 4k on a 1/2 bath out by the pool?

Here is a floor plan.. The pool bath goes outside of the master bedroom on the lanai and is only accessible from the lanai area (the photo shows a full bath but we are only considering a 1/2 toilet & sink)

Attachments

• 5324SunriseHomes_MontereyIV_FP_Web.png
    5324SunriseHomes_MontereyIV_FP_Web.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,555
  • 5338SunriseHomes_MontereyIV_Optn_Sitting_PoolBath.png
    5338SunriseHomes_MontereyIV_Optn_Sitting_PoolBath.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,382
How often are you going to use the pool?? Are you going to have lots of guests over often that would need to use a bathroom? If its just you guys mostly, I would skip it. But if you are going to be having pool parties a lot then get it.

Growing up we had a pool in every house and a bathroom that was accessible via the pool. However, the bathroom was then accessible to the house as well.

But I think it would be nice if you plan to use the pool/outside area for people to even just use the restroom without having to go back in the house if you are all outside. It is a really nice idea and would come in handy if you will be using the pool area a lot I think.

Well I live in Florida, We have a pool now and use it a lot during the summer. We do have guests over to go swimming maybe once a month or so and all family gatherings are at our house. Im just not sure if its worth the added expense, We are already at the top of our budget with the other upgrades we are doing but I guess it could be something we wish we had down the road, Especially because the closest bathroom is across the house. I just dont know, lol

If the closest other bathroom is across the house, then definitely get the pool bath. You will regret it the first time you have people over and they have to tromp all the way through the house to get to the bathroom from the pool.

Will your new home have a basement, where you can easily get to the pipes if you decide to have a bathroom put in later? If not, you might want to find out if it's feasible to have the plumbing roughed in, so you can add it without too much trouble later. Personally, I think the extra bathroom is a really good extra, and 4k now is probably a lot cheaper than what it would cost later on.

Im not sure, I havent asked about the plumbing for it. No basement though
It becomes a complete part of the house, on the same AC unit and all. I can imagine down the road having all of that done would be a big project so if we're going to do it we better do it now. Just not sure how "necessary" it is.

not sure if you have kids or not but if you do or are planning kids then I would get the pool bath!

My kids and their friends were constantly going in and out of the house dripping water everywhere- we also had tile but still it was a PITA!

I would get it if you can. It will be handy should you decide to take up gardening as well :P
I think the convenience will be worth it.

I think its the right decision. In the end, 4K is a drop in the bucket compared with what you are spending. You can just do it simply, maybe with a pre-made cabinet, inexpensive undermount sink, etc.

The important thing: Have fun building your new house cheryl :heart:.
Try to stay sane, LOL! Its a mighty undertaking, for sure.

From my experience of living in Florida it was a must to have a pool bath to me. When you and your guests are living outside most of the time this is so much more convient then having to go in and out of the house. Especially with little kids and having to keep an eye on everyone at all times. My brother has a pool bathroom attached to his garage here in New Jersey and they do use it all summer long.

Another vote for the pool bath! It doesn't just preserve your living space from wet pool guests, it makes guests feel more comfortable going to the bathroom without having to dry off.

I can't remember the last time that I went to a pool party at a house without a pool bath. You're probably not thinking about resale value, but I'm sure that the pool bath would add value to your house in the long run.