Arts & Crafts Building a Doll House from Scratch

dooneybaby

O.G.
Dec 12, 2008
In 2010 (when my two nieces were still young), I decided to build a doll house out of left over wood I had from making indoor window shutters (another story).
So I drew out a plan. I knew I wanted it to be 2 stories, with a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.
For the wood floor, I used a think wood called Lewon, sanded it and painted it with protective clear polyurethane. There's also a moveable door between the bathroom and the bedroom, as well as one between the kitchen and living room and the front door.
For the wall paper I used 12x12 thick colored paper from Michaels. For the roof, I glued on thin wood scraps you can purchase by the bag, also at Michaels. I also used leftover silk fabric for the upstairs curtains and a thicker fabric for the living room drapes. It took a little bit of sewing for the curtains.
Also, the yellow bedroom carpet was left over carpet purchased from a previous home. I was so expensive that I'm glad I could find another use for some of it.
The scale of the doll house was for Barbies. I empties out most of the Barbie furniture so you could get a good look.

Attachments

• Doll1.jpg
    Doll1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Doll2.jpg
    Doll2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Doll3.jpg
    Doll3.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Doll4.jpg
    Doll4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Doll5.jpg
    Doll5.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 224
Then I tried my hand at a Barbie hair salon. The size was a little smaller but the concept was the same. I did create outside awnings and did a decorative door with gold colored paint.

Attachments

• Doll7.jpg
    Doll7.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Doll8.jpg
    Doll8.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Doll9.jpg
    Doll9.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Doll10.jpg
    Doll10.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Doll11.jpg
    Doll11.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 218
Love, love, love dollhouses! My grandfather made me a dollhouse when I was young, and my grandmother decorated it with homemade curtains and rugs! Your houses are gorgeous--what awesome details! I love the wallpaper and window treatments! If you make more in the future, please share photos!

Love, love, love dollhouses! My grandfather made me a dollhouse when I was young, and my grandmother decorated it with homemade curtains and rugs! Your houses are gorgeous--what awesome details! I love the wallpaper and window treatments! If you make more in the future, please share photos!
My nieces are teenagers now. I'm done with the dollhouses! LOL! :wave:
But thanks.