budget of 2000$ for the new year - what would you do?

engineblock

Dec 18, 2009
Hey ladies! Super long time lurker here, first time poster (in a long while, anyways!). :biggrin:

In a bit of a dilemma! Next year, DH and I are embarking on something like a year of austerity to get all our debts paid off. Doable, totally, but difficult because I'd also planned to come off my 18-month bag ban. This means that anything I buy will come out of my allowance (we each allow ourselves 250$ monthly plus whatever bonuses we get for clothes, hobbies, etc.) and I'm definitely hoping to pick up something lovely!

SO! Here is the question: if you were a collector with a eye for iconic pieces, and you had about $2000 allotted for the year (pre-loved being completely okay!) - what would you get?

Thanks ladies!

You could pick something that has never STOPPED being iconic (Chanel, Gucci, Balenciaga, etc.,), or else wait and see what BECOMES iconic in the New Year. I don't know what you already have, so it's hard to say. I am currently obsessed with Balenciaga, and I love how they have maintained a basic look with smaller changes season to season. I notice the same thing about the LV and Chanel styles, so it depends on what appeals to you. Have fun!!:smile:

Hmmm, In my opinion, $2,000 is a great amount of money especially if pre-loved is included.

There will be additional discounts after xmas, so I can think of a new/used Bottega Veneta, new/used Balenciaga, Givenchy nightingale or pandora (which is becoming a fave in the Givenchy sub-forum), YSL bags (Easy, Roady, Muse etc). I would also recommend a Chanel Wallet on Chain. One of these bags could easily fit into your budget.

To really stretch the budget, consider a pre-loved Alexander Wang bag with a Rebecca Minkoff purse (Nikki hobo, Morning After Bag satchel, Morning After Mini). I'm not a big Coach fan, but recently fell in love with a Kristin satchel and best of all, if you purchase from an outlet, you can get an excellent deal (less than $400).

Gosh, I'm rattling on, but must ask you what type of bags would you like to add to your collection? Satchel? Hobo? How about colors? Whatever you do, make sure you spend on things you will use and adore. :biggrin:

You could pick something that has never STOPPED being iconic (Chanel, Gucci, Balenciaga, etc.,), or else wait and see what BECOMES iconic in the New Year. I don't know what you already have, so it's hard to say. I am currently obsessed with Balenciaga, and I love how they have maintained a basic look with smaller changes season to season. I notice the same thing about the LV and Chanel styles, so it depends on what appeals to you. Have fun!!:smile:

Gosh, didn't even think of Louis but yes, a Louis or two (depending on what you like) could fit into your budget as well.

My collection is seriously small - for luxury items, I'm looking at a LV speedy 25 in damier azur, some small Balenciaga pieces (wallet, cp, mini mini cp) and a very old school Rebecca Minkoff MAM in pewter. I freaked myself out at how much I spent on the LV and decided to take a break and figure out exactly which direction I wanted to go. Iconic pieces seem to be it but I'm not sure where to start. Eek!

I'm seriously looking at Bal as well - I'm long way from anywhere that stocks Bal (unless I'm make the short trek out to Holt Renfew in Toronto!) and it's hard to choose something just shopping online. Haven't seen many in person, either - my town's pretty much all Coach or Michael Kors!

I'd keep an eye on online sample sales, and such. Not sure what I'd buy, but I might allot $1K for a pre-loved bag (I'm thinking Bal, maybe a YSL Muse or something from LV's Vernis or Epi lines on consigment), another $750ish for a nice Speedy (if you don't own one!) then keep an eye out for a nice bag in a Contemporary line with the other $250ish.

Also: don't discount Winners! Lots of Canadian Minkettes have seen bags in London, Aurora, etc. in addition to the standard College Park & Bathurst locations. Even The Bay! If you can make the trek into the city, the Bay on Queen carries some Contemporary lines; now might be the time to collect HBC points! :graucho:

My collection is seriously small - for luxury items, I'm looking at a LV speedy 25 in damier azur, some small Balenciaga pieces (wallet, cp, mini mini cp) and a very old school Rebecca Minkoff MAM in pewter. I freaked myself out at how much I spent on the LV and decided to take a break and figure out exactly which direction I wanted to go. Iconic pieces seem to be it but I'm not sure where to start. Eek!

I'm seriously looking at Bal as well - I'm long way from anywhere that stocks Bal (unless I'm make the short trek out to Holt Renfew in Toronto!) and it's hard to choose something just shopping online. Haven't seen many in person, either - my town's pretty much all Coach or Michael Kors!

I totally know what you mean--small town blues, but I've been relying on tPF to help me make some great purchases on used Balenciagas through ebay, and I'm thrilled with what I've gotten. For 2K, you could easily get an older City or Day and still have $$$ left over for a less expensive "iconic" bag or two like the MAM. I like the Swing, too; great for evening or lighter days. The only one I don't think you could get much cheaper is Chanel; they seem to be expensive no matter what unless they're trashed.

Hmmm, In my opinion, $2,000 is a great amount of money especially if pre-loved is included.

There will be additional discounts after xmas, so I can think of a new/used Bottega Veneta, new/used Balenciaga, Givenchy nightingale or pandora (which is becoming a fave in the Givenchy sub-forum), YSL bags (Easy, Roady, Muse etc). I would also recommend a Chanel Wallet on Chain. One of these bags could easily fit into your budget.

To really stretch the budget, consider a pre-loved Alexander Wang bag with a Rebecca Minkoff purse (Nikki hobo, Morning After Bag satchel, Morning After Mini). I'm not a big Coach fan, but recently fell in love with a Kristin satchel and best of all, if you purchase from an outlet, you can get an excellent deal (less than $400).

Gosh, I'm rattling on, but must ask you what type of bags would you like to add to your collection? Satchel? Hobo? How about colors? Whatever you do, make sure you spend on things you will use and adore. :biggrin:

My collection is seriously a blank slate. I bought a Speedy 25 and decided to better hold off, do my research and figure out what my long-term bag hoarding strategy would be. :graucho: I haven't really looked at Givenchy before, but I saw a Pandora tote (I think?) and completely loved it.

My big problem is that I live in a mid-sized city, with absolutely no high-end shopping - which means I have to travel to Toronto in order to even look at items like the WOC - modelling shots here on tpf are a godsend!

This year, I'm thinking maybe a tote and/or a satchel, depending on what I can find. Black, red and teal are my colours, but I've been tempted by many otheres!

I totally know what you mean--small town blues, but I've been relying on tPF to help me make some great purchases on used Balenciagas through ebay, and I'm thrilled with what I've gotten. For 2K, you could easily get an older City or Day and still have $$$ left over for a less expensive "iconic" bag or two like the MAM. I like the Swing, too; great for evening or lighter days. The only one I don't think you could get much cheaper is Chanel; they seem to be expensive no matter what unless they're trashed.

I haunt RDC like nobody's business! I'm glad they opened it up to other designers too, but now I'm thinking about that Hermes Curry Clemence Massai they have available! I'm still kind of wary of eBay, but TPF's authenticators have never let me down.

So true about Chanel - I found some vintage flaps on Mallieres, but nothing that I've really fallen in love with. I'll keep my eyes peeled but it seems like everything is either snatched up immediately and/or juuuuust out of my price range.

I recommend a pre-loved Lady Dior bag. They sell on Ebay from $1000-$2500 depending on the condition.

The Lady Dior is a classic iconic bag that will be in style forever.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dior-Lady-Dior-Cannage-Patent-Leather-Tote_33770_front_large_0.jpg
    Dior-Lady-Dior-Cannage-Patent-Leather-Tote_33770_front_large_0.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 447