Bubbling canvas on my Neonoe :(

chiclawyer

O.G.
Aug 28, 2006
I bought my Neonoe approx 1 month ago and I have only carried it 4x. Today, I noticed two areas on the bag where the top coating on the canvas appears to be bubbling. It's not a stain or scratch--it's definitely an issue with the outer layer/coating on the canvas. I then inspected my other LV items and realized that the same thing appears to be happening to my Cosmetic Pouch GM, as well (which is also relatively new--less than 6 months old). What is going on with LV canvas right now? I've never had an issue with bubbling canvas on my older pieces. I don't live in a super humid climate and I store my LV items in their dustbags in a dry, climate-controlled environment. I'm feeling pretty frustrated at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_7832.JPG
    IMG_7832.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,689
  • IMG_7841.jpg
    IMG_7841.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,556
I feel so bad seeing that. I hope you can get some resolution from CS about it. The fact that you're experiencing it with another canvas item is freaking me out. Is this an issue with Damier too?
So far I have only noticed this issue on my mono pieces. I will have to get in touch with SA to see if she can exchange my Neonoe it for a new one. It's such a bummer since I really love the bag.

what i don't understand is don't they use the same canvas on lots of styles???? why is this afflicting only certain styles? does it have to do with the fabric flexing more, ie on a bucket style or an artsy that folds in at the top? i have some really old lv bags with which seem to stand up to anything. i wish they had never gone to the thinner canvas.

Reactions: chiclawyer
I bought my Neonoe approx 1 month ago and I have only carried it 4x. Today, I noticed two areas on the bag where the top coating on the canvas appears to be bubbling. It's not a stain or scratch--it's definitely an issue with the outer layer/coating on the canvas. I then inspected my other LV items and realized that the same thing appears to be happening to my Cosmetic Pouch GM, as well (which is also relatively new--less than 6 months old). What is going on with LV canvas right now? I've never had an issue with bubbling canvas on my older pieces. I don't live in a super humid climate and I store my LV items in their dustbags in a dry, climate-controlled environment. I'm feeling pretty frustrated at the moment.

Wow, that is bizarre that the same thing is happening on two pieces. Curious to see what the store and QC says about these. Is it the coating of the canvas peeling or coming off? Does it feel raised when you move your had across it? Did you try to wipe it off?

So sorry this happened to your beautiful bag! I hope they offer you a store credit. Their canvas has changed so much. I had a monogram speedy I purchased in 2007, sold last year- I didn't like vachetta. But the canvas was so thick and strong. My Palm Springs minis canvas has the flowers kind of rubbing off. Very slight but that never happened on my speedy in the near decade I had it. Their canvas has changed. I like that it's more flexible because it conforms to the body better, feels nice and squishy and not being so rigid is great for if you hit the bag against a hard surface by accident because it doesn't cause as much damage from the impact. But I'm not a big fan of their canvas anymore. I buy empreinte only now.

Reactions: chiclawyer
what i don't understand is don't they use the same canvas on lots of styles???? why is this afflicting only certain styles? does it have to do with the fabric flexing more, ie on a bucket style or an artsy that folds in at the top? i have some really old lv bags with which seem to stand up to anything. i wish they had never gone to the thinner canvas.

No, different canvas is used on different styles. For instance, the canvas used for my Pallas Clutch is more rubbery compared to my Speedy because it needs to be folded on the sides.

Wow, that is bizarre that the same thing is happening on two pieces. Curious to see what the store and QC says about these. Is it the coating of the canvas peeling or coming off? Does it feel raised when you move your had across it? Did you try to wipe it off?
Yes, it is raised, as though the outer coating is separating from the cloth canvas beneath. No peeling as of now. Wiping it did not resolve the issue because it is not a mark from scratching the bag, nor is it glue residue. Apparently this has been an issue for certain bags (such as the artsy, which someone else mentioned above). I have a wonderful SA so I will reach out to her about this.

It's why I will only buy vintage LV canvas products.....it's far superior to the newer canvas.
Sad but true.
While its true that it appeared that there were less defects on the old Canvas, LV has also gotten A LOT more popular in the last 5 years especially. We are also in a time with Youtube, Instagram, and of course, this forum. I don't think percentage wise they have a tremendous influx of defects, it just that any defects they do happen to have are magnified and spread much quicker nowadays. People who have pieces made in the last 5 years, like me, don't tend to make many posts on how their pieces are defect-free. On the flip side, we do post the potential defects and issues more often, mostly to see if others have the same problem/advice, etc. This can leave an impression that their quality is spiraling out of control. Not necessarily true. It is true, however, that there are more defects in the number of units because they are making more pieces, but I doubt the percentage is that much higher.

Last edited:
While its true that it appeared that there were less defects on the old Canvas, LV has also gotten A LOT more popular in the last 5 years especially. We are also in a time with Youtube, Instagram, and of course, this forum. I don't think percentage wise they have a tremendous influx of defects, it just that any defects they do happen to have are magnified and spread much quicker nowadays. People who have pieces made in the last 5 years, like me, don't tend to not make many posts on how their pieces are defect-free. On the flip side, we do post the potential defects and and issues more often, mostly to see if others have the same problem/advice, etc. This can leave an impression that their quality is spiraling out of control. Not necessarily true. It is true, however, that there are more defects in the number of units because they are making more pieces, but I doubt the percentage is that much higher.

Well said! :smile:

Reactions: foxylock
This happened to my 2015 Delightful and I stopped buying canvas bags for a while because of it, because it seemed to be a problem for Delightfuls, Artsys, and Totallys at that time. It wasn't an issue for the Speedy or Neverfull. It is interesting to me how different the canvas can be and how it all seems to have issues now. The Melie has wonderful thick canvas, but develops corner wear. My newer SLGs have a really rigid almost plastic feeling canvas, but the print seems to be more prone to coming off. I just recently (Thursday) recieved a new Pochette Metis. I will be using it a bunch and keeping a close eye on it for now. For me, LV has always stood behind their product and made things right so I will continue to buy. I hope your SA takes care of this for you without any issue.