Food Bubble Tea

wow- 200+... yeehk...i didnt realize there was that much
http://www.nutrition.com.sg/do/hbeverage.asp
Ouch! I googled it, and some sources say it can be 300+ depending on what flavor you get and whether you get pearls (apparently 7-15 calories per tapioca ball becasue they're infused with brown sugar?) Though the place where i go uses non-dairy creamer instead of milk. I never buy non-dairy creamer in the store, so i don't know how good that is for you nutrition-wise.. is it better than milk?

I didn't know this stuff was so popular! The first time I ran into it was last year in Taipei so assumed it was strictly an Asian thing. The vendor my team was working with brought in about 20 large sized teas and handed it out to all of us. LOL we were all just staring at the cups trying to figure out what those little balls were..

I'm heading back manana so I'll have to give it another try. :yes:

I tried it again (for the second time) this weekend, hoping it would grow on me... I guess it's just not my thing! Alas and alack, ladies, there are so many bubble tea places all over Chicago, you should all come here!

Ok apparently Im the only one who doesnt know... what in the world is bubble tea? Ive never heard of it! Im in NYC every day and Ive never noticed a "bubble tea" place? sounds intriguing

hmmm ok i googled it :P it sounds really good but Im allergic to milk- any suggestions on how I could still enjoy this? Can I make it myself w/ lactaid or soy milk? Of course now that I cant have it I want it!

Wow! I absolutly LOVE bubble tea and i'm so bummed. Im back to school in CT and theres no bubble tea places. I was all happy that a new place (My bubble tea on transit) opened in Buffalo(my real home), i think i seriously drank bubble tea like 5 times a week. SO GOOD :smile: I guess i'll just have to crawl down to NYC in hunt of it.

Taro's my favorite flavor-- nyone else?

^^^Taro's my fav although haven't tried the others. I usually get this at my mall and they make it just right. I always ask for extra thick, yummy. Unfortunately I don't drink this all the time because it's too rich and high in calories, sigh.

I love bubble tea!! It's just one of those things I must have once a week or once a fortnight.

My fav is the Jasmine Green Milk Tea, with Red Bean tapioca pearls!! These are like the sago bubbles but instead of it being completely sago, the middle is filled with a red bean each. I used to like the Passionfruit Milk Tea alot too but then found it too sweet, I'm more of a tea person now.

Also I love the pearls more than the drink, LOL, I would seriously be happy with half the amount of liquid and twice the amount of bubbles!!

hmmm ok i googled it :P it sounds really good but Im allergic to milk- any suggestions on how I could still enjoy this? Can I make it myself w/ lactaid or soy milk? Of course now that I cant have it I want it!

Glamgirl, you can order non-dairy bubble teas. There are fruit flavoured ones or tea flavoured ones that dont come with any milk.

I don't know where the term 'boba' comes from either! In Singapore ages ago bubble tea was such a trend and we had bubble tea shops ALL over the place. I'm not kidding. We just called it, "bubble tea". If you wanted to say 'bubble tea" in mandarin, you would say "pao pao cha" pronounced POW POW CHA (as in chacha the dance) I think it's the US/Hawaii and others that call it "boba tea". Whatever it is it's so yummy and you can get fruit flavoured or tea flavoured ones. I personally prefer the tea flavoured ones. You can get them with or without milk too. Sometimes too much milk in it makes me gag...

Where I am now (Australia) the local bubble tea shops offer chocolate sago balls, red bean sago balls (as I described in my reply above), different types of jelly, and pudding!

i :heart: bubble tea! I grew up in Taiwan where bubble tea gains popularity, original black tea, green tea, milk tea, barley are my favorites, so I've been spoil by the good stuff. All the stores I've taste from Cali, or TX just don't taste as good, plus over priced-3.75/cup in Austin vs 50 cents to ONE dollar in Taiwan.

^^ ITA. I have been in Austin for only 2 yrs, I found the bubble tea here is expensive and not many variety. Before this I've lived in Sydney Australia and their bubble tea are just divine but that's probably because there are so many asian concentration in Sydney. Cannot wait to fly back to Sydney for a holiday and buy my favorite drinks! But of course in Asia is even better. I can get those funky mango fruits w/ jelly and pearls or even durian in HK or Singapore.

I love the ones in Taiwan b/c you can actually TASTE the tea not sugar syrup, or powder like the ones in Austin :yucky: People in Taiwan have high standards about how their teas are made and what type of tea leaf is being used. And yes, CoCo's cafe are over priced w/big attitude....

Yep! The powder thing I hate that too-sometimes they don't even stir it right that you can taste the actual powder.
There is one in Austin that is pretty good, called Momoko, the owner is Taiwanese and it took her 4/5 mins to do one order because she boiled the tea first etc, but it's even more expensive than coco...probably borderline 4$ if you have a lot of combination.