Brown purse and black shoes?

anna401

Feb 10, 2009
I am from the matchy-matchy generation, and it's a tough habit to break. My kids tell me constantly not to match my shoes and purses!
My husband bought me a beautiful brown Marc Jacobs bag for Christmas. I would have preferred black because it "goes" with so much more. But how does everyone else feel about wearing brown with black shoes (or any other colour for that matter)?

I wear my Louis Vuitton mono and damier bags all the time with black pants, coats, sweaters and shoes. I think brown shoes and brown handbag is too matchy matchy sometimes. I think our mothers always told us to match, but there is nothing that beats a gorgeous brown handbag with black. It's funny, sometimes I see my mom with purple bag, purple shoes, and such and it just seems outdated now - so matchy.

I totally understand Anna. My kids do the same to me. I'm trying to get away from it. I had a stylist come to my house last week. She helped me mix and match colors that I was comfortable with. Black and brown is definitely okay.

I can't find the picture I want that inspired me, but here's a more casual one of Angelina in a black top with a brown LV
attachment.php

The one I wanted was her in an all black outfit and a Damier speedy - stunning. Inspired me to start mixing browns & blacks.

I have a beautiful pair of brown Miu Miu's. They are accented with black leather piping and yes it took me a while to figure out what to wear with them. I do carry a brown bag, but make sure that I use a punch of color some place else.

So I am old school, I can't seem to let go of handbag, shoes and watch band matchy thing.

That being said, I can't do a plain brown shoe or bag with a plain black bag or shoe, or even mix patent with non-patent.

i totally think brown and black do go together. i don't like the matchy matchy look- mixing it up looks fresher and more modern. it's a lesson i try to teach my mom but she's quite stuck in her ways.