Brooch & Pin Discussion Thread - Show & Share :)

This is really lovely - so delicate and pretty. Does it have any marks on the back?

That's a nice size, Junkenpo! Is it possible the flowers are chalcedony or lavender jade? Looks like they may be one or the other.

mistikat... your collection is definitely inspiring! Makes me want to go trawling in the few secondhand shops we have here.... so far everything I have except for the tiffany is from ebay or etsy.

The jade brooch has no marks on the back aside from the gold content stamp "585". I fell in love with the bells of the flowers... i'm thinking a lavender nephrite possibly, but I have no idea really, it could be chalcedony or agate or some other stone. It came in a Ming's box and brocade pouch, but it doesn't seem to be a Ming's style and wasn't sold as such.

All photos are natural lighting, indoors near a window, overcast sky

e4CC0TT.jpg

0f1fGhE.jpg

XT8phGM.jpg

Reactions: jimmie staton
mistikat... your collection is definitely inspiring! Makes me want to go trawling in the few secondhand shops we have here.... so far everything I have except for the tiffany is from ebay or etsy.

The jade brooch has no marks on the back aside from the gold content stamp "585". I fell in love with the bells of the flowers... i'm thinking a lavender nephrite possibly, but I have no idea really, it could be chalcedony or agate or some other stone. It came in a Ming's box and brocade pouch, but it doesn't seem to be a Ming's style and wasn't sold as such.

All photos are natural lighting, indoors near a window, overcast sky

The mark is European, so I don't think it's Mings either - and as you say, not their style. Really really pretty!

Wow!!! Mistikat, I'm just amazed with your vintage brooches. They are all so beautiful. I'm going to have to get out my collection & take some pics. Most of mine are costume pieces but I do have a few vintage pieces that belonged to my grandmother. I'll try to get some pics & post them in a couple of days.

Was looking through old photos and found these...

I found a couple more pins... lol. The sterling parrot brooch, I still have. The golden 2-lovebird pin is now glued to a rock as a place marker for my Makalii and my Sunny at DH's family plot.

nBAKRcg.jpg

tmOumNx.jpg

Reactions: jimmie staton
I love brooches too! I often wear a jacket or blazer at work because of the airconditioning and I usually add a brooch. Mine are costume.

I stock up on costume brooches whenever I return to Malaysia to visit my parents because the Muslim ladies there have to wear the hijab (veil or headscarf) and they love to adorn their scarves with pretty pins and brooches. So there are plenty of shops that sell pretty but cheap and affordable pins in many many designs. I've now got a whole box full!

I have a couple of pieces handed down from my mum. One is a nephrite bamboo brooch and one is of a spray of flowers with each flower being of a different semi-previous stone.

Apelila: Chanel is lovely!

Here's my latest acquisition: It has a "Gumps designed by cini" plate on the back, but no metal content hall mark. Seller thought it might be sterling, but I'm not sure. I have no idea how old it is.

It actually caught my eye because it looks like a Native Hawaiian bird of a sort and I needed to have it and now I'm trying to think of where/who I could track down to help identify the bird.

If anyone knows/can point me in a right direction, I'd appreciate the help!

QweueU8.jpg

UpOsd0s.jpg

Apelila: Chanel is lovely!

Here's my latest acquisition: It has a "Gumps designed by cini" plate on the back, but no metal content hall mark. Seller thought it might be sterling, but I'm not sure. I have no idea how old it is.

It actually caught my eye because it looks like a Native Hawaiian bird of a sort and I needed to have it and now I'm trying to think of where/who I could track down to help identify the bird.

If anyone knows/can point me in a right direction, I'd appreciate the help!

QweueU8.jpg

UpOsd0s.jpg

Can't help with IDing the bird (though the beak looks like a hummingbird to me), but Cini typically worked in silver so I would guess it is sterling. They did a lot of work for Gumps but also just signed Cini or G. Cini. (You may already know Gumps was/is a high end San Francisco retailer which carried some unique and special pieces of jewellery -they were the first, I believe, to bring Antonio Pineda sterling pieces from Mexico to the US in a small, special show.) Cini is probably best known among vintage collectors for their Zodiac series.

Here is the same piece, recently sold (I have no affiliation with the seller):

https://www.rubylane.com/item/617360-RL001156/Gumpx27s-Designed-G-Cini-Bird-Brooch

I have one or two interesting Cini pieces I will try to post later; nice find!

ETA: Worthpoint identifies the bird as an I'iwi, aka the Hawaiian Honeycreeper:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-30s-guglielmo-cini-gumps-sterling-533940517

Last edited:
Cini, an Italian firm, worked at least some in gold, because my 14 kt wedding ring was by Cini (a million years ago). Long time later, I had the Cini family's daughters recast it and create a new one from that earlier mold.

Last edited: