Brooch & Pin Discussion Thread - Show & Share :)

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'd love to see what other pfr's have collected and ask questions and talk about what makes them interesting and special to you.

I'm interested in your costume as well as fine jewelry pins and brooches! Including hair pins and hat pins and lapel and tie pins.

Do you get the brooch first and pick an outfit to go with it, or pick the outfit & choose a brooch to match?

I just recently got into brooches because my mom is culling her jewelry down and gave me one of hers. I never used think about brooches because I thought they were too fussy or "old", but I really like how they add an interesting element to a plain top. I've already gone and purchased a few more.

Here's the one I got from my mom: it's a discontinued T&Co sterling & yellow gold daisy with a rose gold ladybug.

[​IMG]

Here's a new-to-me gold & coral brooch that was quite tarnished and cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are my new-to-me vintage sterling fishies. They have a yellow tint to them that is brighter on the back, so I wonder if they were gold-plated or washed at one time? Anyone know how to tell?

[​IMG]

2. Im really not into brooches or pins..it is something I tend to forget removing from my clothes and then send to the laundry. Yours looks pretty though...

3. #3 Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    I collect several vintage costume jewelry designers - Dior, Schreiner, Sherman, among others - as well as really liking contemporary designers like Robert Sorrell, Iradj Moini and others. Because I prefer large pieces, most of these are in the 4-5 inch range, with some a bit smaller. I don't think anything is less than 2 inches but most are 3-6...

This is an ivy pin by Iradj Moini; I think it's close to 6 and a half inches long and it's got a lot of dimension to it.

Attached Files:

Mpill, Gixxer and etoupebirkin like this.
  4. This is a 40s piece, Hector Aguilar for Coro, doing his very famous lilies design. About 4 inches, I think?

Attached Files:

papertiger and etoupebirkin like this.
  5. Some Dior from the 1960s.

Attached Files:

6. Schreiner is one of my favourite designers. He used amazing combinations and cuts of stones and the pieces are very vibrant and often layered. He was known for reverse setting stones and using unfoiled crystal, which wasn't that common at the time.

Attached Files:

jimmie staton, missie1, Mpill and 4 others like this.
  7. Monty Don was a favourite of Princess Diana; this brooch is about 5-1/2 inches long. His costume jewelry business closed quite some time ago and he's now known in the UK for gardening.

Attached Files:

jimmie staton, Mpill and etoupebirkin like this.
  8. By Robert Sorrell...

Attached Files:

9. One of my favourite Sherman pins; I just love the really effective use of black and white.

Attached Files:

Gixxer, papertiger and etoupebirkin like this.
  10. And I am a huge fan of the early Herve van der Straeten hammered brass pieces and am lucky to have a few of his brooches.

Attached Files:

11. The smaller pieces in my collection are there more because I collect a particular thing (like paste and sterling) or wanted an example of a designer (like the Meyle and Meyer cherub, whose plique a jour enamel is damaged, making it affordable enough to purchase) or the Knoll and Pregizer German sterling and paste pieces (the fringe pin at the far right and the "C" shaped pearl and paste piece... or just because they're sweet, like the tiny lizard on the enamel leaf and the paste and sterling sheepdog. Interestingly, the jabot pin on the far left is made with jade and crystals, set into rhinestones. I had assumed it was glass when I bought it. And the circle pin is early paste (late Georgian or early Victorian) set in sterling and gold.

Attached Files:

12. Your pieces are breathtaking. This hammered one makes me think of Hagenauer Austrian Art Deco metalwork. I am crazy about the cherub!!

13. Thanks, jellyv. This photo of the cherub doesn't do it justice. I suspect it was a watch fob, as it has a small hook in the centre and those usually hung like that. I even don't mind the broken enamel ... it adds character.

I love van der Straeten's jewelry; most of his earlier pieces are hammered brass ... these are two other pins of his I have (the stone in the eye is lapis):

Attached Files:

14. Wow, a heavy Surrealist effect to them too. Amazing.
    So, how do these display best: on coat or blazer lapels? Solid color sweaters?

15. #15 Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    They really are. He still designs/sells jewelry but it's more abstract and a bit less heavy/solid. Some more of the pins in my collection:;the heart is the smallest, about three inches long, I think.

Attached Files:

etoupebirkin and Raven3766 like this.