Bronze Patent GST or Classic Black Flap 2.55 for a mom with toddler

bagerrific

IShopThereforeIAm
Apr 16, 2010
Hi there!

I'm thinking of purchasing either a bronze patent GST or a black lambskin flap 2.55 (medium/large) from a re-seller. The price is about the same. If ever, this will be my first GST or flap.

I am a mother with toddler who also works full time. GST seems the better choice because it is big and will be very useful to me everyday, but I am not sure if the bronze patent will be a good investment! Bronze patent maybe just a fad. What do you think?

On the other hand, the 2.55 lambskin flap, which is classic, would hardly fit in any of my stuff! I obviously want it because it is the IT bag, but I am not even sure if I will be able to use it. Can owners of lambskin flap advise whether they actually use the bag to work or only on special occasions? Do mothers with toddler in tow even use this?

Thanks a lot!

I feel bronze is a nice neutral... I say go for GST. Patent never goes out of style, IMO. And, with a small child, accidental spills, etc. can be wiped off easily!

I have a caviar GST on its way to me, have never had one bfore so cannot comment. I have a Vintage XL Jumbo calfskin flap I have never used (!!!) because I am too paranoid about marring it.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your decision

Last edited:
I'm a working mom with a toddler too! I went with a jumbo caviar flap for my first Chanel (even though, like you, the lambskins and calf reissues were otherwise calling to me), and it has been great - but I've also been toying with the idea of a tote, since I often end up carrying a second bag for my laptop and/or baby junk.

Between your two choices, I would go with the tote. But consider a jumbo/maxi caviar flap too - they fit a fair amount of stuff, feel quite indestructible and I like being able to wear it messenger style if I need to do some babychasing. Which is, of course, all the time. :biggrin:

Good luck! Agonizing over your purchase is half the fun! :biggrin:

i hv 2 toddlers and i don't use my m/l lambskin with them around. Firstly, it's really too small for my usual lifestyle. i hv been seriously considering a jumbo in caviar or a GST for daily use. However, m/l flap is very elegant :love: i hv no regrets owning one.

I would go for the GST. I'm a ma of 2 tots and ended up getting the flaps because of the price increase, but the Gst would have been much more pratical. The flaps sit in my closet for the rare special occasions and I use a lV or Gucci tote daily.

i just commented on the GST on another mommy related thread...how funny :smile: but i can't resist commenting again as handbags and my children are my two obsessions :smile:

i am a mom, too, and i have to be the dissenter here. as i posted on the other thread, i personally don't think the GST is an ideal bag for when you are with your kids. i think you should go with the medium/large lambskin. ultimately, you should try both in store and see what suits YOUR needs, but here are my two cents:

(1) GST is in my opinion a little bulky and heavy. it's a really good looking bag, but unless you really only want to use it M-F for work and not for when you're with your child/ren on the weekends, it might not be practical. what with all the things kids need (sippy, diapers, wipes, etc.) it might just get to be too much.
(2) GST cannot be worn crossbody. you wear it with two straps, and one tends to fall off the shoulder easily unless you layer the straps on top of each other if that makes sense. i have not owned a GSt, but from what i saw in store when i tried it on and ppl's comments on tpf, this can be annoying. bearable when used for work, but impossible for when you're with your kid/s.
(3) for me, chanel is for dates/events when the kids are in bed and LV canvas is for the day time, esp when with kids. i think a medium/large would be great for you to use when you're having dinner, going out, etc. so it wouldn't necessarly just sit gathering dust. you just wouldn't use it daily or 24/7.
(4) have you seen lambskin in person? it really is divine. and i hate that phrase, but it's true. it's beautiful. again, try out both types of bags and leathers and see what you prefer. but i must tell you as much as i wanted caviar b/c of its practicality, i went with lambskin b/c it was just so gorgeous for my first chanel, which was very recent...and for the second chanel, which was even more recently purchased :smile:

good luck. either way they sound great.

from experience your probably better to stick to a GST. More room and great for an everyday bag.
The lambskin flap is gorgeous, but i would avoid it if you have toddlers/ babies. I got one scratch from my baby onto my flap that made me want to avoid using them.

Thanks all for your comments! They were very helpful. I went to Chanel and tried both the m/l flap and gst. M/L flap is just really way too small for me. I also tried the jumbo and thought it is more appropriate for me.

In the end, I bought the GST. I should be receiving it soon! (Jumbo flap is next on the list!)