Broken Turnlock -- Please Help

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NORDSTROM WINTER SALE Up to 40% off until February 23rd! Free shipping and free returns! Shop The Sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello ladies, I have a problem with my beautiful new M/L lambskin flap (I have had it since Wednesday only). I was using it today and as I was closing it the turnlock came away in my hand. Needless to say, I'm in a panic and rather upset. I went straight to my nearest Chanel boutique (Collins St in Melbourne), and the SA wasn't able to offer much insight. She said she would call the service centre in Sydney on Monday to see what the repair will entail, but most likely it would take four to six weeks. I really don't want to let go of my brand-new bag for that long, so I'm just hoping that someone out there can shed some light on what the repair will require. I've had a good look and it seems as though a screw has fallen out of the back of the turnlock mechanism, loosening the head that turns. If so, it would suggest to me that all is required is a replacement screw. I have my fingers crossed that this is the case, because this should take 5 minutes, not 6 weeks. I have included some photos, including of the back of the turnlock mechanism taken from inside the front pocket. If any of you ladies have a M/L flap, could you pretty please take a look at the back of your turn turnlock mechanism from the inside pocket to see if it is hollow like mine is (not sure if that is clearly visible from the photo, it's an awkward angle to photograph) -- I am assuming it should actually have a screw back or similar filling the hole.
    I decided not to leave my bag with the boutique until I know how long it's going to take. Please ladies, help me feel better about my situation:sad:
    Many thanks,
    Helen

Attached Files:

2. Having trouble uploading photos from my iPad! I'll need to upload them one by one:smile:

Attached Files:

3. Thank you ladies, I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Attached Files:

4. I bought a new bag in Vegas and it had a very tiny stain. The store said I could bring it to any Chanel and they would fix it. I took it to Rodeo and it took them 4-6 weeks also to clean it because they had to send it to Europe. Trust me it was painful to let go my new bag for 4-6 weeks. The store doesnt fix your bag at the spot since they have to send it to Europe so I dont think you have a choice..

5. Some stores may have hardware that they can use, but I would think most don't. I have read where people took their bag into Chanel and they fixed it on the spot, but I can't recall which stores they were. I tried photographing mine, but I don't see any screw, so if there is one, it's deep and tiny. Since your bag is brand new, might they exchange it for you, since this was some kind of a defect that caused it to break?

6. That is terrible since you have only had it since wed. I would call the store u originally got it from and ask for either a full refund or an even exchange. I don't know how many times you have used it or if you turned the lock with strong force, but even so it should break just like that. I would consider that more so a defect. Hope u can get the issue resolved soon!

7. That's horrible! So sorry! Can you take it to a good shoe repair shop that also fixes handbags?

8. I see that you are down under, so things may be a bit different than here in the U.S., where you can find some stores that have spare parts. I really think, since this is a new bag (2-3 days old), that you should be asking for an exchange or a refund. This should not break in that amount of time, it's a defect, and you should not have to deal with a defective brand new bag.

9. I had a screw fall out of my maxi flap cc clasp after a month. I took it into the Collins st boutique and they replaced the screw in about 5 mins. But they told me the screw wasnt exactly the right one for the maxi flap. I didnt mind since its under the flap and you can't really tell. I've also had the turn lock on my reissue flap replaced and it took about a month since they had to send it off to Sydney and it was during Xmas and new year holidays so their repair centre wasn't opened until mid jan. your turn lock is broken on the other side so maybe they need to send it off for repairs and can't do it on the spot?

10. Thank you m4gg1ech1u, tutushopper, jssl1688, Orchid502 and kaz_7 for your replies and advice. If I had bought the bag locally I would probably be there asking for an exchange, but my lovely mum got if for me at Harrods in London when she was there a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure that they would offer an exchange if bought in a different country. On top of that, my poor mum spent about an hour comparing three M/L flaps to pick me the perfect one, and in every other way this one is just spectacular, so I would hate to let it go. It has a lot of sentimental value because mum chose it for me. I can't bear to tell her that the turnlock broke because I think she will be more upset than I am.
    I called another bag-repair shop in Melbourne that restores Chanels to see if they could do anything, but the man advised me to take it to Chanel. I've decided I'm going to call back to the boutique when my regular SA is there and they aren't so busy, I might be able to get a bit more information then as a more experienced member of staff may know more about this sort of problem. Kaz_7, if your turnlock replacement took 4 weeks over Christmas, this gives me hope that if my bag does have to be sent to Sydney it won't take as long as I was quoted today, fingers crossed!!

11. In light of this information, sounds like repair is your best option then. I hope that your SA will be able to help you to get this repaired as fast as possible! Very, very sweet of your mum to choose this bag special for you. :heart:

12. Thanks Tutushopper, the more I look at the turnlock head, the more I am convinced it requires a screw of some sort (it is hollow and has a screw thread inside), so surely it must be a very simple fix. I am hoping that there is a spare part somewhere that will take a few minutes to put in (I reckon I could even do it myself). Not sure how I could explain to mum where my bag is if it's away for a few weeks! I really don't want to tell her.

13. From what you have said, I can fully understand why you'd not want to tell her. I hope this is a quick fix, and that the boutique will be able to help you in this regard!

14. They usually quote longer..that's what my SA said...my receipt said it will take - few months but my SA told me to ignore that. I purchased my bag overseas and repaired it here. So you should be fine. It won't take that long.

15. Thanks for that extra info Kaz_7, that puts my mind at ease! I feel much better now:smile: