Broken item . . .shipping fees refundable?

marmic

O.G.
May 20, 2007
I recently sold a vintage sink and toilet on ebay. The cost of the two items was $450. Shipping and insurance cost $350. Part of the set arrived broken and a claim was filed with UPS. UPS ultimately agreed to pay part of the cost of goods ($350). Buyer has not returned anything to me. As the seller, am I required to refund the buyer the cost of the items ($450), or the cost of the items and shipping (an additional $350)? Thanks for any help as ebay was useless in answering my question.

If UPS ultimately agreed to pay part of the insurance claim, aren't they admitting the damage to the item was due to their handling and not your packaging? If that were the case, I think I'd push them to refund the original shipping cost as well.

In regard to your question about refunding the shipping fees to the buyer, if a PayPal claim were filed by the buyer, PP would likely make you refund the original shipping cost, BUT the buyer typically has to send the merchandise back to the seller and pay for the return shipping. Since the buyer is not likely going to return a broken sink (or toilet), I would think that you'd not have to pay out of pocket to refund them the original shipping. Especially since it wasn't your fault that (I don't believe) that they broke.

But again, I really think UPS should be paying for the item + refunding the shipping.

If the item did break due to not being packaged properly, I'd refund the original shipping.

Thanks so much for your reply. There were three boxes sent, one had the sink, the other two had the top and bottom half to the toilet. UPS found that they were liable for mishandling one of the boxes and denied the claim on the other box, saying it was not properly packaged. I have dealt with UPS so much I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. I never will use them again. To me it seems I should have been refunded everything since the only item not broken is half of the toilet -- which is virtually useless on its own.

If UPS ultimately agreed to pay part of the insurance claim, aren't they admitting the damage to the item was due to their handling and not your packaging? If that were the case, I think I'd push them to refund the original shipping cost as well.

In regard to your question about refunding the shipping fees to the buyer, if a PayPal claim were filed by the buyer, PP would likely make you refund the original shipping cost, BUT the buyer typically has to send the merchandise back to the seller and pay for the return shipping. Since the buyer is not likely going to return a broken sink (or toilet), I would think that you'd not have to pay out of pocket to refund them the original shipping. Especially since it wasn't your fault that (I don't believe) that they broke.

But again, I really think UPS should be paying for the item + refunding the shipping.

If the item did break due to not being packaged properly, I'd refund the original shipping.

Thanks so much for your reply. There were three boxes sent, one had the sink, the other two had the top and bottom half to the toilet. UPS found that they were liable for mishandling one of the boxes and denied the claim on the other box, saying it was not properly packaged. I have dealt with UPS so much I feel like I am banging my head against the wall. I never will use them again. To me it seems I should have been refunded everything since the only item not broken is half of the toilet -- which is virtually useless on its own.

Like two boxes you were sure to carefully pack, but then you just tossed part of the toilet into another, without packing it right? Oy. :noggin::mad:

How has the buyer been in the situation? What are they saying / asking for? I'd still be tempted to yell at someone at UPS until they refunded all of it, though I can only imagine how sick you are of dealing with them by now.

i'd return the shipping no matter what. whether it was your fault or UPS fault for the broken item. it wasn't the buyers.
unless they by chance can fix it - then it's still useable to them.