Food Broccoli wards off cancer, except in England

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Broccoli wards off cancer, except in England

Fri May 18, 12:12 PM

PARIS (AFP) - You can steam it, stir fry it, micro wave it or eat it raw, but for heaven's sake don't do what the English do, don't boil that broccoli to death.

This "standard British cooking habit," say researchers at the University of Warwick Medical School, destroys precious anti-cancer properties contained in most members of the Brassica genus, which includes broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts.

When consumed, a substance common to all these veggies called glucosinolate is metabolized into another compound -- isothiocyanate, pronounced eye-so-thigh-o-sigh-an-ate -- that counteracts the poisonous effect of cancer causing carcinogens and speeds up their removal from the body.

But boiling any of the "cabbage family" vegetables for 30 minutes leeches most of these medicinal properties away, according to a study published in the journal Food Chemistry and Toxicology.

Arguably, it also ruins the taste.

In experiments conducted by biochemists Paul Thornalley and Lijiang Song, the loss of glucosinolate content was 77 percent for broccoli, 58 percent for Brussel sprouts, 75 percent for cauliflower and 65 percent for green cabbage.

In contrast, the effects of steaming, micro-waving or stir-frying was negligible, they reported.

Other vegetables in the same group with anti-cancer properties include kale, turnips, collards, kohlrabi, rutabaga, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, horseradish, radish, and watercress.

(http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/070518/health/health_cancer_food)

(I will occasionally make fun of my dad and English cuisine by adopting an English accent and saying "This is bland and tasteless! It's PERFECT!")

My mom will take broccolini and fry it up with garlic and olive oil.

Boiled brocolli???? That's revolting!!!! :yucky:

I cook mine up with nothing but a little bit of olive oil (not too much, or it'll be soggy and gross) and a little bit of salt. Sometimes garlic, but frankly, after getting the sides just a bit browned from the oil and nice and HOT, I then turn off the heat and steam for about 5 minutes. Perfect! My kids SHOVEL that brocolli in faster than I can cook it!!! I have to make two whole bags of the florets for everyone to be happy!!!!:smile: