British and Irish detective stories TV series

Here are some we’ve enjoyed. In addition to British mystery programs, I’m including a few from Canada and Australia. Some are more cerebral, and some are less serious, more whimsical.

We don’t have cable, so we watch programs via iTunes, Acorn, and Britbox.

iTunes:
Grantchester
Broadchurch
Professor T

Acorn:
Murdoch Mysteries
Mr & Mrs Murder
Queens of Mystery
Midsomer Murders
Foyle’s War
Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries
Miss Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries

Britbox:
Agatha Christie’s Marple
Father Brown
Death in Paradise
The Mallorca Files
The Doctor Blake Mysteries
Hetty Wainthropp Investigates
Inspector Lynley Mysteries
Rosemary & Thyme
Murder in Provence
Thank you! how could I have forgotten Inspector Lynley Mysteries :biggrin:
@Traminer, I love Young Inspector Morse too

Thank you! how could I have forgotten Inspector Lynley Mysteries :biggrin:
@Traminer, I love Young Inspector Morse too

Sounds like we should be watching both of the Morse series!

Meant to say earlier, my favorite of the more serious detective shows is still Foyle's War. So well done, we've watched it twice. My favorite more lighthearted series is The Mallorca Files! Here's a synopsis:

"Ambitious young British detective Miranda Blake and her laid-back German partner Max Winter look like the perfect team – if only they could see it. But as this mismatched partnership starts to solve some of the island’s most mysterious cases, the chemistry starts to build. This exhilarating detective drama, shot on spectacular locations all across Mallorca, lifts the veil on the many unknown and different sides to this picturesque island."

Sounds like we should be watching both of the Morse series!

Meant to say earlier, my favorite of the more serious detective shows is still Foyle's War. So well done, we've watched it twice. My favorite more lighthearted series is The Mallorca Files! Here's a synopsis:

"Ambitious young British detective Miranda Blake and her laid-back German partner Max Winter look like the perfect team – if only they could see it. But as this mismatched partnership starts to solve some of the island’s most mysterious cases, the chemistry starts to build. This exhilarating detective drama, shot on spectacular locations all across Mallorca, lifts the veil on the many unknown and different sides to this picturesque island."
Love 'The Mallorca Files'!! Loved both series - light, lovely, well acted and good story lines set in a backdrop to die for. DH liked it too. I miss it and really want another series!:yes:

• Love
Reactions: etoile de mer
Shetland
Hinterland- watch it in the original Welsh language with english subtitles, so much better
Happy Valley- this series is incredible but warning, it is very visceral
Vera
Luther
Marcella
River
Unforgotten- one of my favourite series ever
Wire in the Blood- super old series but brilliant
The Missing
The Fall
Law and Order UK- oldie but a goodie
Scott & Bailey

I really like UK crime series...

"Ambitious young British detective Miranda Blake and her laid-back German partner Max Winter look like the perfect team

That is a series I do not know.
"German partner Max Winter" makes me curious!
I am German - but as yet I have not seen this Max Winter on the screen.
I wonder how he is being played - does he show some specific German characteristics or clichés? :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: etoile de mer
logo

Mallorca Files: Will Miranda and Max get together?
THE MALLORCA FILES first launched in 2019, following British detective Miranda Blake and German liaison Max Winter officer as they cracked crimes on the eponymous sun-soaked Spanish island. With the show expected to be returning to the BBC for another series soon, some fans are curious to know: Will Miranda and Max get together?

a question to those who have watched this serious: How does this Max Winter come across?

From my time in England I remember sadly, that in British films the Germans too often appear as cruel and idiotic, and always speaking with a harsh and ugly accent, as if every German was a Prussian Nazi "Wehrmacht" officer.

That is a series I do not know.
"German partner Max Winter" makes me curious!
I am German - but as yet I have not seen this Max Winter on the screen.
I wonder how he is being played - does he show some specific German characteristics or clichés? :smile:

I don't think he displays any particular clichés. His character is very endearing and likeable. I'll be very interested to hear what you think if you watch some episodes! :flowers:

Reactions: Traminer
Here in Germany this is "Inspector Barnaby".
And it always comes in pairs. :smile:

Meaning the show airs two episodes at a time in your country? I stream all these all various platforms, but most are on Amazon Prime. Unfortunately some have been moved to Britbox and I don’t want to subscribe to yet another streaming service.

I inadvertently left these two off my “watched“ list: Father Brown and Sherlock. Loved both!