Food Britans National Dish

English food can be pretty good it's sadly the quality of ingrediants that are lacking.

BF is Italian and I told him one day I was going to make him Toad in the Hole looked a little worried but relucantly agreed later he asked me "it's not really from toads is it?"

For those that don't know toad in the hole is a meal made from sausages and yorkshire pudding but needs lots of gravy to be complete LOL

ENGLISH FOOD IS NOT THAT BAD!!!!!!!!!
really, proper english food not the junk stuff.
steak and kidney pudding, cottage pie, fish and chips, roast dinners, hot pot, shepheards pie, fish pie, toad in the hole, sausage and mash with onion gravy. want me to go on?

Could not agree more. God there are good things to England you know.

Okay, the weather may not be the best in the world, we like stodgy food etc etc but Britain is good - if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many people coming to live here.

Pudding usually refers to a dessert but there are a few savoury things that are called pudding.

Yorkshire pudding is made from similar ingrediants as pancakes (thick crepes) but is used along side cooked meats etc.

The problem with food from all over Great Britain is that it is very likely to contain organ meat. Like the Scottish haggis, for example, an unsuspecting visitor might be asked, oh won't you try our typical national dish, and they say oh yes! I would be delighted! But their delight may turn to dismay when they are presented with a sheep stomach stuffed with liver and oatmeal.

At least steak and kidney pie warns people with the name. But I do not trust English or Chinese sausages, because either are liable to contain unannounced liver and things. This is also a problem in New Orleans, you have to know which places do not put it in their andouille.

ENGLISH FOOD IS NOT THAT BAD!!!!!!!!!
really, proper english food not the junk stuff.
steak and kidney pudding, cottage pie, fish and chips, roast dinners, hot pot, shepheards pie, fish pie, toad in the hole, sausage and mash with onion gravy. want me to go on?

Who are you trying to convince me or you?? :roflmfao: Everything you mention is cooked or boiled or fried to death then covered with some sort of batter/dough or stuck in a pot and cooked for hours to get everything to mush together. On a world cuisine scale, english food is way on the bottom of the scale, Irish might be a ring below. I don't know many professional chefs (myself included) that had english food as one of their core countries to study in order to graduate from culinary school. French...check, Japanese...check, Italian...check...English...nope. And for this reason the English have adopted other foods such their "National Dish" and not any of the food you mentioned. Now I will give it to the English that they rock when it comes to condiments...because you have to cover up the taste of the food. Colemen's English mustard rocks!! LOL Sticking french fries, or chips as the english refer to them, on two pieces of bread with butter to hold it all together...well no what I call gourmet food. Plus the ratio of the carbs turning to sugar would be a diabetics nightmare. That was the nutritionist in me posting. LOL

If you ever come to NYC, look me up and I will show you what good food is. :angel:

I'm not from Great Britain, but organ meats aside, I LOVE their Sticky Toffee Pudding, English Bread and Butter Pudding, and scones with Devonshire cream. All fattening, but yummy!

Who are you trying to convince me or you?? :roflmfao: Everything you mention is cooked or boiled or fried to death then covered with some sort of batter/dough or stuck in a pot and cooked for hours to get everything to mush together. On a world cuisine scale, english food is way on the bottom of the scale, Irish might be a ring below. I don't know many professional chefs (myself included) that had english food as one of their core countries to study in order to graduate from culinary school. French...check, Japanese...check, Italian...check...English...nope. And for this reason the English have adopted other foods such their "National Dish" and not any of the food you mentioned. Now I will give it to the English that they rock when it comes to condiments...because you have to cover up the taste of the food. Colemen's English mustard rocks!! LOL Sticking french fries, or chips as the english refer to them, on two pieces of bread with butter to hold it all together...well no what I call gourmet food. Plus the ratio of the carbs turning to sugar would be a diabetics nightmare. That was the nutritionist in me posting. LOL
and whats so great about american food? grits and country gravy?

Neah, what's the point of talking about American food. What is authentic American food anyway? Most cooking methods and preparations are adapted from neighboring countries, immigrants (including those people who came by the Mayflower), or native Indians.

Neah, what's the point of talking about American food. What is authentic American food anyway? Most cooking methods and preparations are adapted from neighboring countries, immigrants (including those people who came by the Mayflower), or native Indians.
with everyone dissing english food they were the only 2 really bad american foods i could think of. my mother makes grits(shes from oklahoma) and it is the most disgusting thing i have ever tasted.

Meals are a ritual in India and Food is considered to be God incarnation and treated with utmost respect.

Err that part caught my eye too..obviously food is to be respected but its not a God! Geez..and for reference..there really is no such thing as "curry". It's a word that was made up and added to other words in English (LIke chicken curry, fish curry etc) because the English couldn't translate it or pronounce what it really was. :rolleyes:

Many people like English food, its personal opinion obviously but it is a stereotype that its not worth writing to home about. :upsidedown:

HEY NOW, don't you rag on my homey southern cuisine!!! :boxing:It's wonderful and flavorful if you do it right, seasoned grits with an andouille sausage gravy...sooo good!

The unfortunate part about America is that we do not have a "food culture", so to speak. And no, fast food does not count, fast food is everywhere. But there is no way we could have one, considering the fact that America is founded on the basis of its peoples having come from many origins.

But I can tell you this:

Hands down the worst food and weather I have EVER experienced, were in Britain :biggrin: And I've been to Scotland...:P;)