Brit shopping in America

PaigeMerlin

Feb 15, 2014
Hi Ladies,

So I have just booked my first trip to America for next October and though its a while away I am going jewellery shopping in the UK at the end of this October for my Birthday gift as we couldn't find much when in Rhodes at the time.

I don't want to get a little something now and then next year realise that I could've gotten more pooling it with my spending money for America. The only issue I have is that I'm much more comfortable spotting a good price in England than the US, but I know I can get more currency wise if I wait. So that I can get a look at a few things before I go shopping this month there is the beauty of the internet but I only know brands and while I can dream about Tiffany I have gone through the classic styles like the solitaire diamond earrings and I know that the brand is playing a huge part in the price compared to that I could get here for the same price.

I will be running around New York, Boston and then either Vermont (Woodstock) or Cape Cod (Falmouth). Do you have any tips on quality jewellers who have an online presence that I can use for comparison? Or would Blue Nile (US) and Brian Gavin be sufficient?

Many thanks!!

I can't recommend anyone but I CAN tell you to WAIT WAIT WAIT.

I only buy pieces in the UK if it's a one off piece I know I won't get elsewhere and when I can claim the VAT because I'm travelling soon after. The prices can be up to 50% less at times.

Hi Ladies,

So I have just booked my first trip to America for next October and though its a while away I am going jewellery shopping in the UK at the end of this October for my Birthday gift as we couldn't find much when in Rhodes at the time.

I don't want to get a little something now and then next year realise that I could've gotten more pooling it with my spending money for America. The only issue I have is that I'm much more comfortable spotting a good price in England than the US, but I know I can get more currency wise if I wait. So that I can get a look at a few things before I go shopping this month there is the beauty of the internet but I only know brands and while I can dream about Tiffany I have gone through the classic styles like the solitaire diamond earrings and I know that the brand is playing a huge part in the price compared to that I could get here for the same price.

I will be running around New York, Boston and then either Vermont (Woodstock) or Cape Cod (Falmouth). Do you have any tips on quality jewellers who have an online presence that I can use for comparison? Or would Blue Nile (US) and Brian Gavin be sufficient?

Many thanks!!

I second waiting and pooling it with your trip money. With the strength of the £, things in the US should be less expensive.

When you are in nyc, you should visit the diamond district. Lots of jewelry shops who good quality diamonds. If you know your diamonds, you should be fine. I think blue Nile also serves as a good point of comparison re prices, cut, quality, etc.

I second waiting. If you can stand it to wait a year. Jewelry is so much more expensive in the UK even before VAT

The only place where I could advise buying now or only in UK would be antiques. Older country, older antiques and more inventory.

Happy Birthday!

Hi! Thanks for all your advice; I was settled on waiting from all of your info but then things turned out in some ways cheaper than stuff I was looking at in America :o and I fell in love with a ruby and diamond round bezel set half eternity ring in 18ct white gold. 0.35ct diamonds of at least f colour and vs2 with 0.4ct very good clarity pink-red rubies for £570. I think it's a good price.

Sky queen I love this site thanks!! Particularly the Mark Patterson 'samba' ring :biggrin:

When in Vermont visit Von Bargen's Jewelry...they have 4 locations.
Fabulous jewelry!!!
www.vonbargensjewelry.com

I wrote a topic in Autumn but can't add to that thread as it's now too old so I'd be grateful for your help in this new thread!

So it's under 5 months until my sister, mum and I go on our first trip stateside and we're doing 3 days NYC, 4 days Boston, 4 days Falmouth Cape Cod, back for 1 day NYC.

My budget is max $2250 and while I really like the Tiffany WG Diamond Paloma Olive Leaf ring and the idea of the Tiffany experience I'm wondering if it's easy to find a reputable jeweller without the brand markup in these locations? I'd like to compare stock and at the moment can only do the big names where my budget doesn't stretch far.

I would love, and know my price point would allow it if found, a WG Aquamarine/Sapphire and diamond ring but obviously being specific it's not the easiest of things to stumble upon. At least with Tiffany I know where to go and that there's quality in the pieces I'm buying.

It's making me think maybe I should just have something made here in the UK after my great experience at Birmingham jewellery quarter last year (in previous thread) but that's not as special as getting something when you're on such a unique holiday.

Thanks for your help :smile:

I wrote a topic in Autumn but can't add to that thread as it's now too old so I'd be grateful for your help in this new thread!

So it's under 5 months until my sister, mum and I go on our first trip stateside and we're doing 3 days NYC, 4 days Boston, 4 days Falmouth Cape Cod, back for 1 day NYC.

My budget is max $2250 and while I really like the Tiffany WG Diamond Paloma Olive Leaf ring and the idea of the Tiffany experience I'm wondering if it's easy to find a reputable jeweller without the brand markup in these locations? I'd like to compare stock and at the moment can only do the big names where my budget doesn't stretch far.

I've tried this one on at Macy's. I usually buy higher end, but this is pretty and when you find the sale, totally meets your criteria. It goes on sale all the time...It will probably be on sale when you are in New York.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/14k-white-gold-ring-aquamarine-5-1-2-ct.-t.w.-diamond-1-2-ct.-t.w.-emerald-cut-ring?ID=856332&CategoryID=21176&LinkType=#fn=PRODUCT_DEPARTMENT%3DRings%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D42%26slotId%3D5%26kws%3Daquamarine

Thanks! It's very pretty, will have to look around Macy's when we're there. Any jeweller recommendations also very much welcome.

There is the entire diamond district, but you have to know what you are doing. I'd post a separate thread asking for help with the NY diamond district.

Macy's is not usually highly regarded for jewelry, but I happened to try on that aquamarine and thought it was very pretty and a good by for the size.

Hi,

Thanks for your response but unfortunately that's the issue - I've heard there's a diamond district but I also know from posts that it's a bad idea to go as a tourist and best to go on recommended jewellers. The issue with the district is that wholesalers only sell to retailers and the retailers have a hefty portion of scammers.

I'm not going to spend a chunk of my trip going from place to place comparing rather than enjoying my time in the city so if there is a reputable jeweller in NYC someone has used before, as an alternative to the brands, I'd love advice.

Im not a tourist and I went into the diamond district alone searching for diamond hoops.. It was god awful experience. I wish I could tell you where exactly to go! I can't
Way too many scammers, pressuring you to buy, telling you it's a great deal ( the diamonds were tinged yellow, super cloudy, over priced) I left empty handed
I don't think Macy's has great diamonds. I've never seen any and I've looked. I think lord and Taylor has better but not that much better than Macy's.