Bringing oneself to buy -- the economy and Chanel

I don't think I will be buying anymore bags for a long time. I am very satisfied with the bags I have. I am going to sell some that I never use and learn to be happy with the bags I have been lucky enough to have gotten my hands on in the first place.

Hi Intel,
I don't own Chanel, but at my age have been ogling it for ages.
Despite the woes of the economy, we are in the best financial shape we have ever been in...maybe some paper losses, but overall income & investments are doing great.

But I just can't do it. In fact, I can't even buy the less expensive LV bags that I used to buy. I am on a self-imposed money diet right now, and after the initial withdrawl...it feels good.

I do love to admire everyone's Chanel and jewelry, but I don't think I will have the appetite to buy for some time.

(ask me next month, and i may have a different answer...but right now i'm in saving mode)

This thread is exactly what I'm going through now. I'm only 19 but I feel like I've gone through a horrible path when it comes to me and my desire for designer goods. I mean... I sort of hate myself for it-- you know, that I want/NEED this chanel bag or those louboutins! I look around me, at people who aren't as wealthy, people who have nothing because of the Sichuan earthquake or how $3,000 would be like 3 months worth of food for some family in a foreign country... and it just really upsets me. That (1) this is happening in the world and (2) that I physically am spending 1,000+ because I "have to have" that bag or that LV wallet.

I actually cried after watching something on Oprah one day... it's just eats me up. This is happening in the world, but all I'm focused on is getting a 255 or whatever. I think it's the environment that I grew up in and the people that surround me. You know, you always have to have the latest ~*it*~ thing. My college friends get $10,000 A MONTH ALLOWANCES from their parents. How ridiculous is that?

I always say, "I'm done after this..." you know. Like, my handbag collection is complete, but then I want something else. And, it's not that I'm even an impulse shopper, I am a very smart shopper... but a smart shopper with a very expensive taste.

I guess I'm just rambling. But, I know my brother thinks I'm absolutely crazy that I'm only 19 years old but have a handbag/shoe/jewelry mania that rivals some of my mom's friends. We actually were talking about this at brunch today... I am asking my mom to let me buy 2 more chanel bags... and my brother is like WTF. How are you spending money like this, you don't even have a job. Which, I mean he's right... but I always say, "well chanel keeps on increasing prices.. so when I do graduate college and get a job to make money... that bag will be like 3x as expense... so which is why I'm buying now and saving money!"

I don't know. But, it's nice to know that other people have this too.

I hate it... but I can't seem to make myself stop.

That said, I'm going to get the black striped 2.55 reissue!

I am like this too...Smart shopper with expensive taste.:yes: I have sold off all my other bags and the ones that remain are those that I am sure will follow me for the rest of my life. Now that I have 2 sons, I wonder who will inherit my bags...

But back to the thread, I do feel the strain of the dollar. The recent disasters in Asia has in many ways put things in perspective. Now, I only buy designers below retail and that has mileage, spend more quality time with family and less time online. But my visits to TPF is still indispensible:P

I hope this makes sense... I have purchased less number of bags this year but overall spent more $$$ so far? Crazy, uh this is the net result of price increases I have spent more money but I have less to show for it. What I do not like is that I normally 'spend' in a balanced way, like for instance, add to my jewelry collection, spend on home, clothing and of course, bags. But these last months I have spent exclusively on bags, 99% Chanel. I have a self imposed budget that I won't go over no matter, but its good enough to allow me to spend freely without guilt. I could increase that spending limit but I rather not as it then start affecting my lifelong goals, then I know i'd start to feel guilty and I won't go there at all. So right now I have been re-evaluating the fact that I've been wanting to add certain pieces of jewelry but have not, because I keep falling for the latest $3K Chanel bags. For me, I am re-evaluating this and I am going to steer away from Chanel bags for a little while... there will be more next year and the year after, and by then I know I am going to be looking back wishing I had purchased the 'other' things, or done other things with my money, etc..

As for the economy, spending is exactly what the economy needs. So I believe I have been helping it very much (for the exception that almost all of my spending has been exclusively on one brand) but that is changing starting now.

I've narrowed down my over all collection quite a bit now I only have bags that I actually use instead of having a lot of bags that I hardly use..Idefinately need to stay away from chanel for a bit, but I do enjoy viewing p'fers purchases though..

Very interesting thread!

For some odd reasons, the more money I make, the less inclined I am to spend it on bags. I don't worry much about the economy because I haven't encountered much pressure to change my lifestyle, fortunately. I also feel a bit de-sensitized by all the sales that have been going on for the last few months, so I am just not in a rush to purchase goods anymore. I really believe the sales will be even greater later this year as the recession continues.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I am more interested in discreet bags these days. I want something that has superb quality but doesn't scream a logo or "look at me". I wonder if this has to do with the economy downturn...

I've slowed down on bags in general but not other things. I think that part of the thing is that I want say, a whole outfit vs. 1 bag. I don't feel guilty for buying what I want (I've never understood that but that is a different post) but rather I do think that these increases, the weak economy and everything else kind of made me reevaluate what I spend and where. I plan my purchases more now.

It isn't about having the money or not... my career is great despite the bad economy but it just seems like there are other things I can do with my money. I think that I've become kind of desensitized to designer things in general and I kind of figure that 90% of it does on sale. I also feel as though I don't need 25+ bags.

Meeowy, I too am more interested in discreet bags. Chanel has kind of turned me off recently because it seems like many of the bags have an obvious CC logo somwhere and I don't like that (flaps aside.)

I totally agree with everyone's sentiments on not buying or slowing down the number of purchases. When it takes $60 to fill my gas tank, or I spend $50 at the grocery store for a few bags of staple items it really gives you pause about the money you spend on nonessential items. I feel the economy is cyclical and everything will come full circle-maybe after the election...then we can all go crazy and buy that GST or Reissue that you've been drooling over for a year! Just enjoy what you've got now and be thankful that you've been fortunate to get these luxury items when some people can't afford the basics in life.

I definitely think the prices being asked for Chanel are just too much and
out of my range, once the 2600 mark is reached and passed for an item that was $1800 a year ago, it is difficult to purchase it.

Regarding not buying and the economy, the other side of the coin is that if consumers stop spending, the economy gets worse.

In regards to speficially spending on Chanel, The company should definitely put a freeze on prices at present time otherwise they will knock off a large consumer base. It would be very interesting for one of our
financial experts on the forum to disect out of a $3,000.00 chanel handbag bought in the U.S.A., how the money is divied up between
retailer, chanel, actual manufacturer, workers. etc., and the end net profit on the item. Because of licenses, taxes, import charges, etc., etc., the end profit may be slimmer than we think.:heart:H

I do think a lot of us have slowed down in our purchases this year. I have also decided to cut back on my Chanel purchases this year. I used to buy any bag that had taken my fancy in the past.The rising Chanel prices, the slowing economy, inflation rates and natural diasters in Asia has probably has put every thing into perspective. But I am facing a problem, after buying Chanel bags, I don't seem to be able to spend on other brands. And even if I do buy another brand, I always end up carrying my Chanels. Anyone has the same problem??

I'm 'this' close to unloading all my unused non-CHANEL bags on Ebay, sticking to my four 'core' CHANELS (black, brown, white & red) and going on a total spending ban.

The economy has me really nervous & I have to start paying for college in the fall for my 18yo son! Since when did it become 'ok' to pay over $3.00 (now almost $4.00) for a gallon of gas & over $4.00 for a gallon of milk!

hm, speaking of those numbers...:sweatdrop:

we started to put aside bunch money for our son of 20 months, as his college fund plus a start up house of his own at the same time.

a gallon of organic milk costs almost 8 bucks in our area. :sad: not mention many many other increasing numbers...

so i am no longer buying purse over $2000. period.:yes: yes, it will make me feel guilty(for many reasons).

I think at some point most of people feel guilty including me but then i always think to myself i have the chance to do it now i dont havekids im not married and im still maintained literally householded by parents.
I feel that chanel does have been goin up on prices so much that newer bags are not even in consideration for me at all 3k some even 4k i stay away the prices make me feel so low i dont even look at least i havent loved some that expensive yet!

I also think its not bad to buy designers eventually im still up to sales i love sales i dont feel ripped off cuz i think its the real price of the object now if an object dont go on sale means that probably they cant go any lower, I love sales and when i can get things low i do! chanel its literally impossible in bags unless you catch a good buy on some stores.

I hear people some friends saying i would never buy a bag so expensive you are crazy some have other store bags like Guess or other cheaper and I see them happy the 1st time I got the chanel and pay for it and not 2 mention that I didnt pay full price I save it soo carefully barely wanted to use it :sad: cuz of so much money wasted there... but i still want ot buy more!!! :sad: and unless i dont go crazy n i buy with moderation its a need i have to live with, the need of materialism that we all persons have in a determined moment in life. its so impossible to stay away from it!

and as long you dont take away the NEEDS that u and your others that depend on you have ... and the money used its extra i guess its aight. I still feel guilty though no matter wut i say or how many theories i get!!

For the last 3 years I was on a serious roll - literally bought a major designer bag at least once a month ... but starting this year ... given the economy and the fact that 1)we are saving for a house, 2)trying to have a baby, and 3)my income is no where near what it was the past three years (by choice) limits what I can buy and basically the DH said four bags this year and that is it. So I am being extremely picky ... I have only bought two bags, a silver reissue and a melrose cabas - both purchased just this month ... and I won't be buying another one unless I can get a pink flap for the fall.

There is a saturation point and while I wish money grew on trees for me, I am very blessed with what I have and if further 'cuts' are necessary, so be it. While they are Chanels, in reality, they are luxuries, not necessities.