Bringing oneself to buy -- the economy and Chanel

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Hi ladies,

Swanky, please close if inappropriate, I was just wondering if anyone felt the same way...

I've kicked around the idea of buying a few things from Chanel for a long time -- if there were a couple years ago, I'd have acquired them all by now: a beige classic flap, red quilted wallet, Rodeo drive bag...

Oddly, I'm making more money than ever (I picked up freelance writing work, plus consulting work on top of my full-time job where I just got a significant raise), but suddenly it feels strange to drop $2,500 on a purse.

Perhaps Chanel's consistent price increases really has put me off subconsciously (and consciously) -- I just entered ceci's thread and was shocked to see so many $3,000 handbags... Maybe it's the cultural climate of frugality that's suddenly gripped us in the United States that's rubbing off on me.

Anyone else feel the same? It's amazing and unusual for me to *think* about an item like a beige classic flap for so long and not to just go buy it.

I feel the same way. Now everything is on sales every week. You name it, Bloomies, Nordies, Neiman's, Saks. It's non stop. I should have bought more but I'm not really feeling buying anything now unless it's a REAL deal. All the brands have pretty much increased their price, more or less but they cannot sell now.

I know Chanel is different from other brands but still...the price increase is killing me. :tdown: I work harder than ever but trying to hold on to my wallet.

I must say, I feel the same way. I feel almost guilty for buying luxury items during a time when our country is experiencing what some would call a recession. So many people are having financial difficulties and having their homes foreclosed on. I feel I cannot in good conscience spend thousands of dollars on luxury handbags that I love and even have the money for, thank God. The last thing I purchased was a beige GST back in February and with my $300 EGC, I purchased the flat sandals with the silver CC on the instep for $550 (very cute, I might add). Maybe I just feel that I should be in solidarity with the rest of the country while we are in tough economic times. Some people can't even buy gas and food and we're obsessing over handbags! Somehow, it just doesn't feel right. So, in the meantime, I just look and contemplate purchasing things in the future, when everybody's doing a little bit better.:smile:

I'll admit I have slowed down my buying habits. And I'm not too thrilled about the price increases either.:sad: No reason for it. IMO. There are a couple on my "gotta have" list that I will buy.:graucho: I have come to the realization that with some Chanels if you don't buy it when you see it,you may never get it. So I will continue to buy,just not as many.

It has certainly changed things in that in better times I would be more likely to go to Nordstrom and pick up a bag with the whole instant-gratification experience. Now I still buy bags, but I buy them gently used or vintage for much better prices. The constant price increases are very off-putting and so is the tax one pays on a $2K item. My cutoff right now is $2,000 with all tax and shipping included, which makes most bags impossible at retail prices.

Last edited:
:girlsigh:totally agree! even when the bag is giving you sleepless nights...its just hard to cough it out:sweatdrop: esp when you've learned there is only one left lying around somewhere in the country:girlsigh:

I feel the same way. Now everything is on sales every week. You name it, Bloomies, Nordies, Neiman's, Saks. It's non stop. I should have bought more but I'm not really feeling buying anything now unless it's a REAL deal. All the brands have pretty much increased their price, more or less but they cannot sell now.

I know Chanel is different from other brands but still...the price increase is killing me. :tdown: I work harder than ever but trying to hold on to my wallet.

I completely agree with you. I feel the pinch whenever I see a bag beyond the 2500 mark. It's just absurd how much money we spen(d/t) on bags which quality wouldn't last us through time (and we know it). These price hikes made me come to a realization -- how much of a cash cow the luxury houses think we are by continuously jacking up the prices yet knowing their customers (who are loyal) will still purchase their items. Milk it now than never? I guess that's the way of life? Well, then I'd rather diversify and put my money to better use than to let them milk me dry! :Push: LOL!

I feel the same way. Even with all the sales going on, I don't buy anything unless it's an amazing deal and def. won't buy anything full price. If I can't see using it 10 years down the road, I am not buying. I think instant gratification is overrated.

I agree with you and I am starting to feel guilty for having so many expensive handbags. I feel like having one or two $2500 handbags is ok, but 5, 6, 7 of them? The only thing is I love ALL of them and wouldnt know what I could bring myself to give up so, perhaps not buying any more would be a good idea. Chanel prices are bad enough lately but I have also started buying a lot of Hermes bags as well. I turn on the news and hear about people getting laid off, losing their jobs, gas prices going up (as well as food).

What I have decided is to USE AND ENJOY the bags I have now. Lets see how that works. (that being said I will be posting a pic of my new jumbo lol).

I'm 'this' close to unloading all my unused non-CHANEL bags on Ebay, sticking to my four 'core' CHANELS (black, brown, white & red) and going on a total spending ban.

The economy has me really nervous & I have to start paying for college in the fall for my 18yo son! Since when did it become 'ok' to pay over $3.00 (now almost $4.00) for a gallon of gas & over $4.00 for a gallon of milk!

Just like everyone else, I've been feeling the pain of high gas prices, but I do think it's important to remember that US gas prices have been artificially low for years. Some European countries are paying over $8 a gallon, so in the end I find some perspective helpful on that count.

IntlSet, I feel the same when I first received the my SA's e-mail about the $3k+ 2.55 tote. The price was :wtf:. It's not that I can't afford, but I don't think I would want to spend this amount just on 1 bag. Plus, I stay home M-F working & taking care of my son. I only have to carry a nice purse on the weekend -> 2 x 52 = 104 days per year. I try to set limit to myself with 1 major purchase each year. So, as long as TPFers keep on posting photos, I'll be fine just admiring their new purchases :girlsigh:

Just like everyone else, I've been feeling the pain of high gas prices, but I do think it's important to remember that US gas prices have been artificially low for years. Some European countries are paying over $8 a gallon, so in the end I find some perspective helpful on that count.

That may be true.. but I have a hard time believing that we aren't being taken & royally at that... When people have to choose between food & gas yet Exxon made $40 billion in net profits last year (which broke ALL records for publicy traded companies) there is something seriously 'rotten in Denmark'.

Hi ladies,

Swanky, please close if inappropriate, I was just wondering if anyone felt the same way...

I've kicked around the idea of buying a few things from Chanel for a long time -- if there were a couple years ago, I'd have acquired them all by now: a beige classic flap, red quilted wallet, Rodeo drive bag...

Oddly, I'm making more money than ever (I picked up freelance writing work, plus consulting work on top of my full-time job where I just got a significant raise), but suddenly it feels strange to drop $2,500 on a purse.

Perhaps Chanel's consistent price increases really has put me off subconsciously (and consciously) -- I just entered ceci's thread and was shocked to see so many $3,000 handbags... Maybe it's the cultural climate of frugality that's suddenly gripped us in the United States that's rubbing off on me.

Anyone else feel the same? It's amazing and unusual for me to *think* about an item like a beige classic flap for so long and not to just go buy it.

It's hard not to feel guilty with all the unstableness of the economy and global warming issues ... there are so many other issues that warrant more attention than a bag purchase. The prices of Chanel bags has also gone up so quickly that the average price is around $2500 ... which doesn't help the matter either! But I do think that it is important to reward yourself once in a while (it does help to keep me sane:graucho:) ... I think the key word for any bag purchases would be 'moderation'.