Bringing bags cross-border?

gayboy

*not actually gay* i'm elle
Aug 1, 2013
Hi! I saw a lovely bag I want from a US department store, for 1/3 of the cost here in the UK (also the pound is up so I'd saved extra because of that too!). I could get it shipped to my American boyfriend, and get him to bring me it, as he's coming here next month (yay!!!).

He is very masculine and it's very feminine and small bag (a mini messenger bag) so it's not like he could use it as hand luggage. My question is, if he put the bag, in it's dust bag and original tags, into his suitcase, would he get flagged up for it? Also, I've heard of the TSA stealing stuff, surely a brand new bag would be ideal for them to steal?!

I doubt they would cause a problem, but maybe someone else can tell you for sure.

The bag is not a counterfeit product and your boyfriend could say he got it as a gift for you. Maybe he could even wrap it a bit and add a card. :P

I would place the bag into the carry on suitcase though. I never put bags or anything very expensive in my regular suitcases because I am paranoid about it getting lost. Often I even place smaller bags into larger totes and carry them over my shoulder like that. Bag layering so to say ;)

Hi! I saw a lovely bag I want from a US department store, for 1/3 of the cost here in the UK (also the pound is up so I'd saved extra because of that too!). I could get it shipped to my American boyfriend, and get him to bring me it, as he's coming here next month (yay!!!).

He is very masculine and it's very feminine and small bag (a mini messenger bag) so it's not like he could use it as hand luggage. My question is, if he put the bag, in it's dust bag and original tags, into his suitcase, would he get flagged up for it? Also, I've heard of the TSA stealing stuff, surely a brand new bag would be ideal for them to steal?!
Have him put it in his carry-on bag, no problem at all.

It is unfortunate that one or two bad apples spoil it for the whole bunch - TSA agents take their jobs very seriously and no, they don't steal stuff. With the millions of people they deal with each day all across the United States, I hardly think your boyfriend having a handbag in his carry-on will be noticed (and make sure it's in his carry-on - that way it's never out of his sight and can't be lost). It's YOUR side of the pond that's the question - will he have to deal with Customs? Hmmm????

Have him put it in his carry-on bag, no problem at all.

It is unfortunate that one or two bad apples spoil it for the whole bunch - TSA agents take their jobs very seriously and no, they don't steal stuff. With the millions of people they deal with each day all across the United States, I hardly think your boyfriend having a handbag in his carry-on will be noticed (and make sure it's in his carry-on - that way it's never out of his sight and can't be lost). It's YOUR side of the pond that's the question - will he have to deal with Customs? Hmmm????

Thanks for the reply :smile:

If he pretends it's is (I'm sure they can't go against his word, however much it doesn't look like his!) then customs can't have a problem can they? I mean, it's not like they can charge him for bringing multiple bags if he says he's going to be using them himself?

Do you think him bringing the tags/dust bag would be too far?

Thanks for the reply :smile:

If he pretends it's is (I'm sure they can't go against his word, however much it doesn't look like his!) then customs can't have a problem can they? I mean, it's not like they can charge him for bringing multiple bags if he says he's going to be using them himself?

Do you think him bringing the tags/dust bag would be too far?
Not at all.

I think that because this is so important to you, you feel like 'all eyes' will be on your boyfriend and his belongings.

In reality, it will be just another person on another day going to England, no big deal. He will quite literally be one of thousands of people.

All will be well!

... and why should be pretend? The bag is his, until he passes it on to you! :smile:

Not at all.

I think that because this is so important to you, you feel like 'all eyes' will be on your boyfriend and his belongings.

In reality, it will be just another person on another day going to England, no big deal. He will quite literally be one of thousands of people.

All will be well!

... and why should be pretend? The bag is his, until he passes it on to you! :smile:

That's true, I think I'll get the bag from the US regardless of my nerves! :cool: Thank you!