Food Bring you own lunch to work..

sekmeht

Jul 13, 2006
Hey girls

Any ideas for lunches that you could share with me. I really need to start taking my own lunch to work but I am all out of ideas...

Thanks. I appreciate it.:flowers: :love:

do you like vegetables and italian flavours, and are you able to cook at home? lately i've been making a variation of jamie oliver's spring vegetable minestrone and i find it's healthy, convenient and keeps me going for hours:

1 large green zucchini
1 large yellow zucchini
1 small pack fresh frozen green peas
1 large carrot
1 punnet fresh button mushrooms
1 medium head cabbage
250gms italian sausage, casings removed
1 large tin peeled stewed tomatoes
1 small bunch fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 large onion, chopped
250 gms small pasta shells or elbow macaroni
store bought chicken or vegetable stock (no msg, etc)
olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper to taste

1. chop zucchini, mushrooms, carrots into roughly similar cubes about 1 to 1.5cms in size; thaw peas and shred cabbage
2. saute garlic and onions in about 2 tbsp olive oil, but do not brown. tip in italian sausage meat and let cook.
3. add vegetables in this order: carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, peas and cabbage, stirring well with each addition
4. while vegetables are still raw-ish, add tinned tomatoes and mix in with vegetables, stirring occasionally
5. add chicken or vegetable stock, plus an equal quantity of water; bring to a boil
6. add pasta, turn heat down to a simmer and cover.
7. when pasta is cooked, add basil, stems removed. sprinkle with dried thyme and add salt and pepper to taste.

this makes several servings, which i pack in individual microwavable containers. my office has a pantry with a microwave so at lunch or dinner, i know i have something healthy and filling and hot.

oh i forgot; you can choose to use whatever meat you prefer, such as ground chicken; i've made this with canned tuna, as well as peeled shrimp. and i've even enjoyed it without meat for lent.

I'm a simple girl I buy the $2.59 healthy choice meals (the bigger one which average 310 calories) the small ones are NOT enough and for .60 more a filling meal

Rice cakes for snacks

sometimes apples

I saw your post in the grocery shopping thread :smile:

I almost always bring my lunch to work. I do very simple stuff like salads with chicken, imitation crabmeat or albacore white tuna, and add different veggies. Sundried tomatoes, grape tomatoes, julienne carrots, mushrooms, chopped cauliflower, broccoli florets, etc. Sometimes I add beans or chickpeas for more protein. I put my salads in a Tupperware container, and I'm good to go. I also bring a piece of fruit and/or a sugar free jello gelatin for dessert.

I also buy a few of those Amy's Organic Meals and bring those to work. You can find them in your frozen food section. They make great burritos and other frozen meals.

What about leftovers? Sometimes, if I cook the night before, I'll make enough to bring to lunch the next day.

Try packing snacks, too. It will keep you from hitting the vending machine. I bring a string cheese for a morning snack, and a tbsp. of peanut butter and those south beach diet cereal bars, or a fat free small yogurt container for an afternoon snack.

If you don't have any good Tupperware, invest in some at Target. It's a lifesaver! :smile:

Thanks Girls I appreciate all the ideas. I am going to make a concerted effort to take my own lunch to work....

and I off to target to but some tupperware. Thanks

Went to Publix because we were tired of running around all day and got 3 FULL healthy choice meals for 6.17 (had a $1.00 off 3 coupon FROM the freezer door) So 3 lunches are costing me less than $7.50 because I just add a diet pop to it :smile:

cooked turkey breast, in salads. Cook your own turkey breast, cut up on green salads, very filling, or turkey meat sandwiches. (Turkey, mayonaise, salt/pepper, onion, a little of the hot dog pickeled mustard) mix, put on bread, yum yum!

You can bring anything dry-ish if you have a microwave oven at work. I pack leftover anything from pasta with meat sauce to rice with vegetable stir-fry to work once in a while. The only thing I would like to bring but can't is soup.

You can bring anything dry-ish if you have a microwave oven at work. I pack leftover anything from pasta with meat sauce to rice with vegetable stir-fry to work once in a while. The only thing I would like to bring but can't is soup.

Same here. I'm thinking of buying a wide-mouth thermos, so I can bring soup.

Sunday nights, I make curried vegies, basmati rice, and some kind of fish for dinner, but make I lots, so DH and get leftovers for lunch the next day.:P And I always make cookies for a morning snack (to eat while I work) to go with my coffee.

I love trader joes, they have some decent salads and premade foods that are great for lunch, ie stuffed peppers, pear and gorgonzola salad, hummus, and bags of salad. It's so easy!