Brides who register for expensive gifts...

you could opt for a gift certificate from the store she registered from. I am getting my bf's brother fiance I gift certificate for like $400 because I know she ordered Cavalli China and its a very expensive set, so people are either buying a place setting, or a plate or a desert setting or whatever they can afford.

Generally: For The Shower, I Buy From The Registry. For The Wedding We Give Money. Also, We End Up Going To A Lot Of Engagement Parties~Whole Other Story, What I Go Thru With Gifts!!!

If You Are One Who Really Wants To Buy From The Registry & It's Too Much....Definitely A Gift Certificate ~ Minnie I Totally Agree With That!!! What A Nice Gift That Is!!!

I actually think that the registery should be a mix of expensive and inexpensive gifts so that everybody can choose. Just expensive goods strikes me as tacky but you can always buy an expensive present tohether with some friends. When we married we were still students with no money and so where our friends. To pay for the wedding we wanted money as gifts so we placed a big box in the hall and averybody could give what they thought they could afford and it was anonymous so nobody would feel ashamed of just giving 20 Euros. By the end of the day it worked out so that we could pay for the party and we were happy about that. It's an o.k. thing to do here because a lot of people live already together so they have all the household stuff.

IntlSet said:
Is it just me, or does it seem appropriate to match the cost of your registered gifts to the cost of your wedding? If you're throwing a wedding that costs, let's say, $30 a head, why would you ask for a $500 kitchen mixer from William Sonoma? :huh: I mean, every gift on the list is very pricey!!

Is this a generally acceptable thing? I could very well hold the wrong opinion, so I'd love to get some opinions before I dismiss the whole thing as tacky.

I *do* realize weddings are not about price-matching, and that a gift is an act of generousity. However, I can't help but feel taken advantage of when the effort put into the wedding itself is very little, and the gifts requested are very expensive.

because when you start to do it, you'll realize that MOST ALL stores/companies that offer bridal/gift registries, will offer an additional 10-20% off on anything NOT purchased on the list, for up to a year after the event date has occured. if i were the couple, i would sign up for the entire store!

when i was at Restoration Hardware, we encouraged people to sign up for sofas, beds, bedroom furniture, dining furniture, etc.. and sign up for gift certificates, and then the rest that they want (bath towels, knobs, pulls, mirrors, frames, etc). that way after their wedding/event date, they can come back to the stores and buy the sofa/bedroom set/etc for about 15% off. saves them some money, and the fact that it's all free shipping/etc life time warranty/etc, might as well take advantage of the savings!