Breed suggestions for friend/coworker...

LisaG719

Living life...
O.G.
Jun 16, 2006
Hi everyone!

My friend and coworker is looking to get her first dog. I am looking for different breeds that I can suggest to her. She has a 5 year old daughter that is just begging to be able to have a puppy so she is looking for something small (under 30 lbs). Since this is her first she needs something that would be easy (okay it's never really easy... but something that would be easier for a first time owner. :upsidedown:) to train and that does well with small children. She currently lives in an apartment so there will be no yard to play in. There are dog parks in the area that I will show her. She asked for my help and I know that everyone on here has a wider experience with different breeds. Any feedback would be appreciated. :flowers:

I've heard that Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are lovely little dogs and wonderful with children.

Thanks! I did a google image search and came up with this picture. They look adorable!

get_image
:love:

I own a Shih Tzu and I think they're a very loving breed and great with kids. They're not too small to be fragile with a toddler and they don't shed, but they do need grooming. They're quite laid back and don't have the spunk like Terriers and Hounds.

Here's a great rescue site with all types of Shih Tzus and other small dogs for adoption;
http://www.shihtzuandfurbabyrescue.com/

Adopting an older dog is equally as rewarding and saves 'some' headaches of raising a puppy.

I would also have to recommand a Coton De tulear, they are also a great dog. They also dont' shed and are a healthy breed althought quite rare in North America.

For a toddler I would not recommand really small dogs (under 10 pounds) because they are quite fragile.

Hope that helps, good luck and please keep us updated with their choice! ;D

I own a Shih Tzu and I think they're a very loving breed and great with kids. They're not too small to be fragile with a toddler and they don't shed, but they do need grooming. They're quite laid back and don't have the spunk like Terriers and Hounds.

Here's a great rescue site with all types of Shih Tzus and other small dogs for adoption;
http://www.shihtzuandfurbabyrescue.com/

Adopting an older dog is equally as rewarding and saves 'some' headaches of raising a puppy.

I would also have to recommand a Coton De tulear, they are also a great dog. They also dont' shed and are a healthy breed althought quite rare in North America.

For a toddler I would not recommand really small dogs (under 10 pounds) because they are quite fragile.

Hope that helps, good luck and please keep us updated with their choice! ;D

Thanks! Was your Shih difficult to house train? I have heard they can be stubborn.
The Coton's look sooo cute as well! It makes me want another dog too! :angel:

i think cavalier king charles spaniels are a great suggestion. they're sweet, playful and good with kids... and they're a bit more "sturdy" than a chihuahua.

i think cocker spaniels and beagles are a good option too... they're sweet dogs with good personalities for the most part. they are however a bit on the large side and require quite a bit of exercise.

I'm going to disagree with the Cocker Spaniel suggestion. They are known to get nippy as they get older. Beagles are sweet but not an apartment dog--they are hunters and need space to run.

Please ask your friend to consider a shelter/rescue dog--they could get a dog that's already housetrained, but not so old that they won't be able to play. There are so many wonderful dogs who are in shelters thru no fault of their own and they deserve a loving, forever home.

Thanks! Was your Shih difficult to house train? I have heard they can be stubborn.
The Coton's look sooo cute as well! It makes me want another dog too! :angel:

I didn't find my Shih Tzu particularly hard to house train. I think as general a rule for any dogs, as long as the owner is firm and most importantly, consistent with their scedule a dog will be housebroken in no time.

Here's are pictures of my dog, Roman (we keep his hair short). He's about 7 years old this year!

May4Raok.jpg

RomanLove.jpg

And a very old (personal favorite) picture, he hasn't changed much. lOl
RomanDisney.jpg

He has a very very laid back personality, but I might have gotten lucky! I think Shih Tzu in general are really sweet dogs.

i think cavalier king charles spaniels are a great suggestion. they're sweet, playful and good with kids... and they're a bit more "sturdy" than a chihuahua.

i think cocker spaniels and beagles are a good option too... they're sweet dogs with good personalities for the most part. they are however a bit on the large side and require quite a bit of exercise.

Thanks sunnypoo! I will certainly have her look into the breed. I haven't thought about them myself so I am excited for her to see pics and read the descriptions. This may be the one for her!

I'm going to disagree with the Cocker Spaniel suggestion. They are known to get nippy as they get older. Beagles are sweet but not an apartment dog--they are hunters and need space to run.

Please ask your friend to consider a shelter/rescue dog--they could get a dog that's already housetrained, but not so old that they won't be able to play. There are so many wonderful dogs who are in shelters thru no fault of their own and they deserve a loving, forever home.

Thanks boxermom! I am definitely having her research all her options. Sadly, there are quite a few purebred puppies in shelters. She is in no rush so we can wait around for the perfect one to pop up.

theres a cute little doggy at my apartment complex. The lady has a couple kids.. its a beagle mixed with a chihuaha. its so cute! its very sweet too!

Awe. I can't even imagine what that would look like.

I didn't find my Shih Tzu particularly hard to house train. I think as general a rule for any dogs, as long as the owner is firm and most importantly, consistent with their scedule a dog will be housebroken in no time.

Here's are pictures of my dog, Roman (we keep his hair short). He's about 7 years old this year!

May4Raok.jpg

RomanLove.jpg

And a very old (personal favorite) picture, he hasn't changed much. lOl
RomanDisney.jpg

He has a very very laid back personality, but I might have gotten lucky! I think Shih Tzu in general are really sweet dogs.

Aweeeeee sooooo adorable! She mentioned Shihs as a breed of interest and I wasn't sure since I had heard negative things about training. But, now I will defintely bring this to her attention and show her the pictures!

Oh my! How adorable is Roman!

I couldn't agree more! :love:

Good point about the beagles, I haven't thought of that.

I've never had a bad experience with Cockers though... aside from eating absolutely everything in sight and being quite hyper.

Thanks for bringing up the adoption idea. I know many people prefer buying puppies from breeders, but I can only sing the praises of adoption as I've never actually *bought* a dog. My first dog ever came from a shelter at age 2, my Tibetan was found on the side of a highway at just a few weeks old (IN A BAG :wtf:) and i picked up my Cocker puppy at a street adoption event. :P

The English Cocker Spaniel is calmer than the American Cocker. The English is a great sturdy dog, and they were not over bread like the American, so they tend not to have some of the behavior issues that can pop up in some American Cockers.
I love my Boston Terriers also, but depending on the child, because they do have the dominate eyes you have to be careful they don't get injured. My dd was 6 when we got ours and she grew up around dogs and learning to respect animals, so I wasn't worried about her.
Good luck searching for the perfect fur kid for your friend!