Home & Garden Breed restrictions in Kansas City

Jun 25, 2017
Hi all, it's looking like we're going to be planning a move from Canada to Kansas City in the next couple months. We're looking at renting since my husband will be on a 2yr work visa and we're unsure if it will end up being a longer opportunity. His work will cover all the moving and paperwork but we have one problem, our dog. We have a 9yr old Doberman and while we've never had an issue with him in Canada I have read that in the states there can be breed restrictions and we could be denied a house because of the dog. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on how much of an issue this is going to be. He's well behaved and has never shown an aggressive moment in his life. We'll be looking for a single family home so I'm hoping that will work in our favor since we won't have to deal with other people like in an apartment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I don’t live in KC but I’ve moved around a lot with my dogs and here’s what I’d do to find out....
Go to Kansas City’s website and see what their ordinances are.
You could also call the city of Kansas City and ask if they have an ordinance against Dobermans. Also, maybe google and see if there are Doberman breeders in the area and email/call & ask them if they know of any issues you may face. (Just a quick search, there were several breeders. If it was much of an issue I doubt there would be breeders in KC). If you’re buying a home, let your Realtor know that you have a Doberman and what your concerns are. Your Realtor can help you work through this and he/she will make sure the dog is allowed in the neighborhoods you’re considering buying in. I highly recommend using a Realtor. This is part of what they do to help and using a Realtor doesn’t cost you anything. Make sure to ask for a copy of the HoA guidelines so you can check and make sure for yourself as well. Although Dobermans are sometimes considered a more aggressive dog, most areas with breed specific rules are mostly worried about pit bulls. I’m sure you’ll find a great Doberman friendly neighborhood for your family. Best of luck![emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: LVforValentine
In my area in the Western U.S. many rentals do not allow pets period, regardless of species or breed, so that could be your first obstacle. I agree with Ms.Dixie's good advice above and research into the pet ordinances in the city/town in which you are seeking to live.

While Kansas City proper is a large city, there are many surrounding cities/towns, each with its own ordinances. Here's the link to the animal ordinance for KC proper: https://library.municode.com/mo/kansas_city/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH14AN While this does not address Dobermans specifically, other ordinances may. And it is the final decision of a landlord anyway.

Good luck!

Reactions: LVforValentine
Thank you both for your input, awesome ideas! I'm so stressed about it that it never occurred to me to check breeders or city ordinance. It seems pitbulls are the Breed most banned. I'm hoping people will at least take a moment to meet our 80lb lap dog before writing him off as an aggressive dog.