Breaking the $1000. threshold

Let me start by saying I haven't. However, my bags have become more expensive, and my shopping more focused.
I'm curious for those of you who have broken the $1000. mark for a single handbag purchase, how long were you collecting (in years, or in handbags) before you got there?

I just started collecting bags 6 months ago (Aug 2007). I came close to breaking the $1k mark in September, when i bought my first LV bag for $870 ($941 incl. tax). Then in December I broke the $1k mark when I got my LV Houston in Pomme, for $1,450 ($1560 incl tax). :sweatdrop: So i guess I hadn't been collecting bags for that long before I broke the $1k mark. I only broke it once though, and I don't think I'll break it again...I need to save some $$$ for a house!!

I've been collecting bags for about 5 years.. my first bag was a coach bag a little over $100. the first 3 years i was buying bags once or twice a year costing about 3 or 4 hundred. now i am 21 and in order including tax, first bag to break the $1000 threshold was a dior bag, next a valentino almost 2000, then burberry about $1650 if i remember correctly and just last week a lv neo cabby mm $1650.. and in between these purchases over the last year i have bought a gucci bag, a lv speedy and lots of coach accesories. It's like once you break the threshold theres just no stopping wat comes after. Or maybe i'm the only one who can't control herself :sad: . I got a reality check when i walked into my house with my new lv bag and my mom started yelling at me asking me what was wrong with me and saying i'm crazy. I have to stay away from these stores for a really long time or else i'll be left with no money :sad: and who would want that.

I seem to move very, very quickly. which is bad! lol. My first true designer bag cost about $600 (LV)...then I went to $700 (LV)...then to $999 (LV). Finally I broke $1K and spent $1800 (LV). Then $2800 (Chanel). And finally, my most expensive purchase to date: $4300 (Hermes).

:s

but I won't be breaking that record for a good, long while.

I have never spent over $500 on a bag, simply because I can't right now! LOL!
I am a very lucky shopper and shop sales, so I have bought bags that were over $1,000 retail and found them for sale at Off 5th, etc, at great prices ($500 or less), such as some MJ bags and my favorite leather Prada bag.
My dream bag at the moment is the FERRAGAMO Intreccio Capra Burro Satchel, but it retails for a whopping $1,950!!! YIKES!! So, it remains a "dream"! I saw it at Neimans and it is so perfect and comfortable to wear (Pictures don't do it justice!)

Last edited:
My first designer bag was a Kathy VanZeeland (stop laughing) for $89 on sale. Wow, I thought I had arrived.

Then I found Kooba and bought 13 of them, in the $300-400 range.

I broke the $1,000 on a pre-loved Fendi Cognac Spy and simply love that bag. I ventured over that line again for a Prada Satchel and an LV Perf Speedy.

Do I think they are too expensive? YES! But on a rare, rare occasion I do so.

I broke it by buying a gucci chain horsebit hobo. I had been collecting for 3 years and it was just after my daughter was born. Unfortunately, since then I've even broke the 2k mark with my first chanel.

I first started collecting in about May last year and bought a ton of Chloes on sale at NM/Nordies/Bloomies for way under retail. The first bag I broke the 1k mark with and bought at full retail price was in November - My Tomato City. I love her so much and am so happy with my purchase. I never thought I could spend so much on a bag before I joined tpf!!

I started collecting 10 years ago with a Kate Spade Sam, which was considered expensive at $175 and then moved to Coach for around $350. As for the $1k mark...4 years ago with a Marc Jacobs Stella. With tax it was over $1K and from there Gucci $1,650, Balanciaga City $1,095 and Day (around $1,100 with tax), a YSL Downtown for $1,450, a Miu Miu tote for $1,395 and finally (and my last for a long time) a Chanel Jumbo Flap for $2,650.