breaking out...

Absolutely nothing works for me...NOTHING, not proactive, not prescription acne creams and pills from dermotologists...it's depressing. :oh:

I get breakouts sometimes...and then my skins clears up and looks perfect for a few months...the pimple cycles are torture.:Push:

Oh, and I think in my case, the acne is stress-related because no medications work on me...diets and everything else are not at all responsible for the acne either. :weird:

I use ProActiv as well. Used consistently, it seems to be the best for me. I'm 32 and I still have oily, zit-prone skin (sigh). I have yet to find anything to completely control the oil, though. I have used antibiotics before & they did help for a bit.

I've been prescribed some creams with a mild peroxide solution, and this just makes me swell ! I advocate the Clinique spot treatment gel, it's fab !

devoted said:
Absolutely nothing works for me...NOTHING, not proactive, not prescription acne creams and pills from dermotologists...it's depressing. :oh:

I get breakouts sometimes...and then my skins clears up and looks perfect for a few months...the pimple cycles are torture.:Push:

I am right there with you, unfortunately. My dermatologist actually suggested the possibility of Accutane if this round of antibiotics doesn't clear things up to my liking. I don't have super severe acne, but it is bad enough to irritate the heck out of me. I am an impatient person by nature and I want results yesterday, so waiting around for a medication to take effect is maddening!

twinkie said:
I don't have super severe acne, but it is bad enough to irritate the heck out of me.
Why not try ayurvedic remedies, in which the underlying energetic/systemic reasons are cured? You can Google the subject near you.

Worked for my asthma, might work for you? ;)

Cx

My dermatologist prescribed minocycline for my breakouts and it worked out although it was slow acting. I've been off of it now for about 3 yrs. I don't feel like going back so my esthetician gives me Tretonoin (sp?). It's basically Retin-A. It really dries out my skin but keeps the persistant acne at bay. I get pretty bad breakouts during my period though which SUX!!!!:mad:

Well, while I'd love to sit here and say I had and have perfect skin, I am also one of the ones who does not. Right now my skin is acting up too!!! Must be the stress.

Being put on all sorts of medications when I was younger and creams and tryign everything, my best piece of advice to give anyone is to drink tons of water, make sure to use some great products for your face (cleanser, toner, mosturizer), and don't pick!!! I go get a facial every once in a while if you can too!

Clearing up break-outs is allllll about prevention. Make sure you're washing your face in the morning, night, and after any activity where you're all sweaty and stuff. I wash my face with Clinique liquid facial soap ( a MILLION times better than the bar soap), I use a C.O. Bigelow toner and lotion, and I haven't found the need for an acne treatment ( at the moment.) I just get occasional, normal break-outs, especially with the growing humidity.

Anyways, when I was younger, I had a little mroe trouble with my skin and I used a combination of antibiotics, a topical treatment to disinfect my skin( it was like, Benzecyln or something), and differin. I TOTALLY reccomend Differin, what it does is change the way your skin sheds its cells. Sometimes if the cells are rough and weird shapes, they'll get stuck and clog up your pores. Differin helps to smooth out the cells so that they shed easily. The only thing is it will dry your skin out like CRAZY at first, but then in the end its worth it.

A word of warning to anyone who uses antibiotics for your skin, I wasn't told about this. Never take them at night, especially right before bed. The nurse at my dermatologists office told me I could do that, so I did. The antibiotic didn't get fully swallowed, because I took it right before bed, and it disolved in my throat overnight. I got an ulcer in my esophagus that prevented me from eating/drinking normally for over two weeks- it was the most excruciatingly painful experience of my life. I coud barely swallow- I forced myself to drink because I was going to have to be hospitalized if I didn't ( I hate hospitals). Anyways, just a quick little FYI, that happened to me year s ago, but no one warned me about it! I found out that the problem is actually quite common in elderly patients who use the medication, because theyre usually in bed. :smile: Just want everyone to stay safe!

PS. There is no such thing as spot treating a pimple!!! Once it's there, it's there, nothing is going to make it dissapear faster. A few things you can do is put visine on it, that should reduce redness. Also, you shouldn't pick at them, because it will prolong the life of the blemish by a few days- but I always pick at them anyways. :-X

PPS. Devoted- have you considered accutain (sp?) for your problem? It's kind of hard for a women to get it from a derm, but it's supposed to be wonderful. It bascially shrinks the size of your oil producing pores, so you don't have a lot of oil on your skin. The problem is it causes potentially fatal birth defects in over 80% of pregnent women who take it, so you need to be on BC, and usually you need to get a pregnency test pretty often. There are some other controversial side effets, but for tough cases I've heard its a miracle worker.