Breaking out of Black Bag Bondage

You know what it is: thinking if you spend a lot on a bag, you SHOULD get it in black because it'll be 'timeless.'

It's only been in the past couple of years that I've been able to get past that and start buying better bags in 'gasp' COLORS!

How about you?

I have this same problem ... only the difference is I keep buying brown colored bags! Everytime I see a bag I like, it always ends up being in a various shade of brown. I have yet to buy a red high-end designer bag ... hopefully this will be the year;)

Wow! I wear so much black and brown (mostly black) and I do want versatility with bags I spend so much $$ on. So, I do stick with mostly black and brown bags and don't really see a need to change. I just like the 'anchored' look of a dark bag with my outfit. I am collecting a good number of monogram-patterned bags (Coach, LV, Fendi) which are in neutrals and add a little 'pop' when I'm wearing all dark colors.

So, I'm not convinced yet to try colored bags but who knows!

I recognise this completely and black is such a hard habit to break! I have just got a non-black bag and adore it, but I still tend to look first at what's available in black - I recognise it as a dull pattern, then again it does work with my wardrobe and lifestyle.

I think that color looks the best. Somehow, black seems to "sink" a little bit. You just cannot see the many details that people put onto the bags when they are in black.

I have to agree with you gratytude! I do have a few black bags but I much prefer a butterscotch, luggage color. I know that doesn't sound too adventurous but I also have a "raspberry sorbet", teal, and a lime green with straw so I can be brave too. With me, it's not the outfit that decides my bag, it's my mood!!

weird thing is - i only have 1 tiny tiny under the arm black hobo by Prada from many many moons ago. no other black bags for me, but a bunch of browns. i always mean to buy a black one but then end up getting it in brown.

I like to buy colourful bags. In 20 years time after buying a quality bag in a bright color, youre still going to love it. Of course it might get boring occasionally but at least it will have that 'something' that makes you still want to use it. For me the bag has to have something interesting about it; like a detail or a bright color. Otherwise I get bored.

LOL I did a whole thread a while back on the subject of getting away from the notion of black as anything but just another neutral, and quite possibly NOT the one that looks best on YOU! (not you personally, you know what I mean!) :smile:

So to break your black bag bondage, maybe the first thing you should do is discover and embrace what YOUR true neutral is, maybe it is black - but maybe it's not!

Let's say it's not, let's say you discover it is plum. So then as you look for that Perfect Little Plum Dress, you will naturally need a plum bag to go with it, and as you pick up your basic plum separates, and your plum shoes, you may notice that the bag you got to wear with the dress is really too small to carry every day, and it looks a little evenish anyway, so you need a new basic everyday kind of plum bag - and Poof! No More Bondage!

I love black, and personally have several black bags. But if I'm wearing mostly black I want something that pops a little bit more so I have a multitude of colored bags. I want handbags in every color and shape, I try not to limit my choices at all.

I wear black all the time so I always buy color handbags to punch things up a bit. I love bright handbags! I think I only have one black handbag. I find that colors are a lot more versitile than people think.

Me too. :yes:

I ideally like coloured or and/or metallic bags with a hint of black in them, though, to tie them in with my outfit. :yes:

I'm trying!!!
I kept my closet Black and Brown for years! Just recently I got some blue and red in there.

It's a hard habit to break. Mom taught me to buy things that match everything.

Why not try buying bags that are partially black and/or brown and partially coloured?

Or tie a black, or brown, scarf to the handle of a coloured bag, to tie it in with your outfit?

Then you will still be matching, just enough for comfort, but will also have broken free! :biggrin:

I'm the total opposite because I just bought my first black bag. All my other bags are colourful and I have to force myself to get another black bag as the one I've got is more for evenings out and not for days.
My clothes are pretty boring as I wear a lot of black, grey, white and brown so I spice up my wardrobe with coloured bags like magenta, turquoise, red etc.
I will get a black city for my birthday though.