breaking news

Too funny...I showed my DH the bag, and he immediately said it looked like an MJ bag. I think it would have been better if it were just one outer pocket or zipped compartment versus the two small ones.

wow Orchids - your DH is very clued up!

Thank you hiheels, for taking the time to post, thats a really interesting read. the bag doesnt do it for me either, am not into mixing styles like that.

A bag named after you, the "Susan" ....bet Victoria Beckham is soooooo mad!! :graucho::graucho:

I too thought of Marc Jacobs and also the Chanel reporter bag when I saw this.

Lovely that she was able to decide what she wanted, but it seems off in the proportions to my eye. Particularly the fact that it has the Birkin flap but different closures for the small outer pockets. Just an odd bag that definitely does not scream out Hermes to me. I do hope it becomes an IT bag because then maybe it will be easier to score the other lovely bags at the boutique.

Not trying to flame anybody here, but I am still reeling over the "Subject to consent of Susan" aspect. I realize this was probably a simple business decision on the part of Hermes - that she is such a significant customer that giving her right to refuse "her" bag to anyone else, was worth whatever fallout might result. However, I find the whole idea kind of offensive. If some beautiful but not glamorous philantropist (I dunno - lets say, Melinda Gates, perhaps?) wanted the bag, then Susan could say, "No, she may be a role model, but she's too nerdy to have this bag?" I dont know Susan (and Susan if you are reading this, please no offense intended here) but her only distinguishing credential seems to be her extraordinary buying habits. Even if I liked the bag (which I dont) I would not subject myself to the indignity of ordering a bag subject to another customer deciding if I was worthy to have it.

Poor Susan had Birkins and Kellys and Plumes coming out of her ying yang. She never got the chance to go to the department store to see that a similar bag was already on the market!!

So far all the post are not in favor of the bag! Poor Little rich girl what if no one orders it what then and to me the word design is being thrown out to loosely. It look like she pasted together all the other existing parts of bag to make hers (ala MJ for LV remember that patch work bag) That is not design!

thank you to every poster who so sweetly thanked me for posting this. i never expected that! you know i always keep my eyes peeled for you all!
i assume the bag will never be on display in hermes, unless it's in the window, along with other not-for-sale pieces. i think they made it for her, to her specifications, just as a fashion house would make a couture gown to fit a client. i don't know why they threw that bit in there about her written consent - i think it's highly doubtful anyone will chase that down, for a myriad of reasons. perhaps it is just to protect the bag she designed, while still enabling her to let her friends use the design if they like it.
this is not the same as a bag being named after someone, where they are a muse to the designer, etc. she chose the specs, and paid a lot for the whole thing, no doubt. i would agree that she owns that bag, the design, etc. and perhaps hermes does not want too much credit for this product, so they clarified that it is hers, and not theirs to make/sell to other customers.
we'll have to wait and see how bazaar handles the bag, how they refer to it, etc.

I am not loving the pockets, but then I am not a big "pocket flap" person. Still, it's nice to see something fresh from Hermes, and I will be looking forward to the September Bazaar!!!

Not trying to flame anybody here, but I am still reeling over the "Subject to consent of Susan" aspect. I realize this was probably a simple business decision on the part of Hermes - that she is such a significant customer that giving her right to refuse "her" bag to anyone else, was worth whatever fallout might result. However, I find the whole idea kind of offensive. If some beautiful but not glamorous philantropist (I dunno - lets say, Melinda Gates, perhaps?) wanted the bag, then Susan could say, "No, she may be a role model, but she's too nerdy to have this bag?" I dont know Susan (and Susan if you are reading this, please no offense intended here) but her only distinguishing credential seems to be her extraordinary buying habits. Even if I liked the bag (which I dont) I would not subject myself to the indignity of ordering a bag subject to another customer deciding if I was worthy to have it.

I don't want to sound too ignorant, but I have absolutely no idea who this Susan lady is......:shrugs:

I don't want to sound too ignorant, but I have absolutely no idea who this Susan lady is......:shrugs:

Me neither!

Plain Jane Too - You raise a good point, however, I think there is a difference between a store deciding if they are going to sell you something, and another customer. Its not just Hermes, with anything scarse or hard to find, any store deals with best customers first.

HiHeels, I neglected to thank you for posting the interesting article. In spite of my protestation, I really did enjoy reading it. I think your distinction is correct however - this is a not a new release named for her, but simply a bespoke piece made at her request that she designed herself (how else could it be so stupid looking, if Hermes style team actually designed it, it would have been a better looking piece). While I doubt this rises to level of a copyright, this may have just been part of the arrangement to make the bag. The article languaged it in a way that made this seem overly hauty. But I guess that did make the whole thing sound more interesting. Maybe her publicist wrote it that way too.