Breaking in the Alexa

jooon

O.G.
Nov 5, 2010
I just got my first Alexa and have been using it for about 2 weeks (daily). I love it to bits and can't stop looking it but...

... I find that different parts of it is "breaking in" at different rates! Let me explain - the leather of the flap is looking decidedly more "broken in" than the rest of the bag - lots more creases there compared to the rest of the bag.

I don't mind the slouchy, "crease-y" look, in fact, I like it coz it's looking very distressed, but not when only half of it is looking broken in!

My question for other Alexa owners out there is - Is this NORMAL???

I am not sure to be honest. I have not really noticed it with my two alexa bags. But, I rotate my bags a lot so they do not get heavy or constant use iykwim. On the whole though, certain parts of bags will crease more than others, I.e. the moveable parts, like the flaps as you crease the leather a bit when opening and closing. I don't think it is anything to worry about though. Keep enjoying your new bag xx

this is completely normal i have found the exact thing happening in the past. try wearing on the other shoulder so you open it from the other side to even out the wear. i noticed this most on my ruby black bayswater.

iwantanewbag + bagmadbags... THANKS!! that really helps! i think rotating my bags is a good idea. it's just that i love this so much i want to use it all the time. :P

i have a quick question now...

do you use any type of spray/cream to protect your leather? if so, what do you use? is it necessary?

I use collonil waterstop spray to prevent watermarks. How fussy you have to be with the number of applications depends on the colour of your lovely lexy. Lighter colours like oak mark more. My Alexa is black and I still use it. I like collonil gel on my bags for nourishing the leather but it can darken lighter colours. I have used it on my oak bays and it hasn't darkened it significantly but my bays has been collonilled to death. Other people have said it has darkened their oak.

I have Oak Alexa and noticed that flap is amazingly creased into what I wanted. It is th body of the bag that remained less creassed, and I wanted it to have equaly worn-out look. I also do not know how to do it except to squish it occasionally to give it that look. It is flatter leather on the rest of the bag than on the flap.

iwantanewbag + bagmadbags... THANKS!! that really helps! i think rotating my bags is a good idea. it's just that i love this so much i want to use it all the time. :P

i have a quick question now...

do you use any type of spray/cream to protect your leather? if so, what do you use? is it necessary?

yes i always use collonil waterstop spray is the best stuff.

I have Oak Alexa and noticed that flap is amazingly creased into what I wanted. It is th body of the bag that remained less creassed, and I wanted it to have equaly worn-out look. I also do not know how to do it except to squish it occasionally to give it that look. It is flatter leather on the rest of the bag than on the flap.

yes yes! that sounds exactly like my bag! hahaha... at least now i know mine is behaving normally!

I use collonil waterstop spray to prevent watermarks. How fussy you have to be with the number of applications depends on the colour of your lovely lexy. Lighter colours like oak mark more. My Alexa is black and I still use it. I like collonil gel on my bags for nourishing the leather but it can darken lighter colours. I have used it on my oak bays and it hasn't darkened it significantly but my bays has been collonilled to death. Other people have said it has darkened their oak.

thanks for the info. that really helps. mine's a butter alexa and i love the colour now. don't want it to darken at all so i guess i'll be careful with the application. so i'll need one for waterproofing (spray) and one for moisturising (gel) then?

Hi, just got (new to me) a regular Ink Alexa. The leather at the moment is so shockingly matte! I sprayed it with Collonil and still looks super matte! I've never seen Mulberry bag in this kind of leather before.

For you all who have been using their Alexas for a while, how is the leather coming along after regular use? I'm hoping it will look better, richer, shinier and more live in after regular use.

Hi, just got (new to me) a regular Ink Alexa. The leather at the moment is so shockingly matte! I sprayed it with Collonil and still looks super matte! I've never seen Mulberry bag in this kind of leather before.

For you all who have been using their Alexas for a while, how is the leather coming along after regular use? I'm hoping it will look better, richer, shinier and more live in after regular use.

^did you buff after spraying it? That would make a difference.

no, again, only flap gets better and richer, not the body :shrugs: