Breaking in Frye Boots?

OinkMoo

Totoro
Jun 26, 2011
(I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place)

Help! I bought my very first pair of Frye boots, the Veronica slouch boots, and they're somewhat painful to break in. I've been wearing them about 2x a week, for 2 weeks now and they're still not comfortable. :sad: Every time I think I may have broken them in, a new area of my feet starts hurting.

The first time I wore them they gave me terrible blisters in my heels, so I brought them back to Nordstrom so they can be stretched. And then when I got them back, I find that the toe area is a bit tight (caused my toes to fall asleep). I wore them a couple more times and finally the toe are is more comfortable today, and then my heel starts hurting again. :nogood:

Any tips on breaking these babies in? I really don't want to give up on them. Thanks in advanced! :sweatdrop:

I always buy by boots (Frye included) a half size or full size too big, just to help with that. But when I have shoes that I need a little help with, I wear them around with biiiiggg puffy socks. I've even been known to sleep in shoes when I first get them so they stretch to my feet but I don't blister because I'm putting no pressure on my feet. I would not recommend self-stretching outside of this - I have goofed up trying to stretch louboutins with the ice method before. After that I just always have them done professionally if needed :smile:

I always buy by boots (Frye included) a half size or full size too big, just to help with that. But when I have shoes that I need a little help with, I wear them around with biiiiggg puffy socks. I've even been known to sleep in shoes when I first get them so they stretch to my feet but I don't blister because I'm putting no pressure on my feet. I would not recommend self-stretching outside of this - I have goofed up trying to stretch louboutins with the ice method before. After that I just always have them done professionally if needed :smile:

See, when I got it, they advised me to go a size down. And I tried on the 7 (usually an 8) and it fits perfect. They're just a bit uncomfortable to break in. I guess I will have to wear them more often! Thanks for the warning on the ice method, wanted to try it but my freezer isn't big enough for a pair of boots! :biggrin:

I've owned the Veronica Slouch boots and I remember the leather in the toe and heel areas being very hard, not the kind that will soften and stretch out. I'm sorry but it sounds like these are too small for you. I didn't find Veronicas very comfortable even in a looser size, but if your toes are going numb they are definitely too small.

I'm not in love with my Veronica's either. :sad:. Breaking in has been slow and painful. 😫. I have much better luck with the Martina Engineer and Cavalry strap.

I have had to use a shoe stretcher on them to stretch the width on the toe box. They're just plastic things that slide into your shoe and you turn the crank to widen them. Doesn't do anything for the heel area tho.

Beat of luck to you. Wish I could help.

I've owned the Veronica Slouch boots and I remember the leather in the toe and heel areas being very hard, not the kind that will soften and stretch out. I'm sorry but it sounds like these are too small for you. I didn't find Veronicas very comfortable even in a looser size, but if your toes are going numb they are definitely too small.

Aw I was afraid of that. Maybe I can have Nordstrom swap out the sizes for me. So sad they hurt because they're super cute and they fit my ginormous calves!

I'm not in love with my Veronica's either. :sad:. Breaking in has been slow and painful. 😫. I have much better luck with the Martina Engineer and Cavalry strap.

I have had to use a shoe stretcher on them to stretch the width on the toe box. They're just plastic things that slide into your shoe and you turn the crank to widen them. Doesn't do anything for the heel area tho.

Beat of luck to you. Wish I could help.

Are you still wearing your Veronicas? Yeah the heel's hurting again. :sad:

Are you still wearing your Veronicas? Yeah the heel's hurting again. :sad:

I wear them but not for long days or days where I'm going to be walking a lot. It's a shame because they're very pretty. I'm hoping that over time they will break in.

I tried heel pads and couldn't for the life of me get them adhered inside the boot in the right place. I am considering gluing a piece of felt or faux fur inside.

I wear them but not for long days or days where I'm going to be walking a lot. It's a shame because they're very pretty. I'm hoping that over time they will break in.

I tried heel pads and couldn't for the life of me get them adhered inside the boot in the right place. I am considering gluing a piece of felt or faux fur inside.

:sad: For you .....My Veronica i dont need to break-in I can walk miles and miles to the street of New York and seattle..

Some Frye models have an extended calf option! Maybe try looking into that.

I've been breaking in my Reina booties and I've just been wearing thick wool socks with them to get some room into the for box for my wide feet.

:sad: For you .....My Veronica i dont need to break-in I can walk miles and miles to the street of New York and seattle..

Some Frye models have an extended calf option! Maybe try looking into that.

I've been breaking in my Reina booties and I've just been wearing thick wool socks with them to get some room into the for box for my wide feet.

So sad. They're indeed very pretty. I finally exchanged my 7's Veronica for my actual size 8. Hopefully that'll help, it's been too hot in Utah lately for me to wear them and test them out. I've been wearing them inside the house and so far they've been a lot better than my last pair. Here's to hoping I can break these babies in. I don't wanna give up on them!

I also had trouble with Veronicas. I am normally a size 9.5 or 10 in everything. I found some 9.5 used on ebay as my first Fryes and they were well broken in and smooshy soft leather but just a tad too tight to wear thick and supportive winter socks or add an insole. I usually had to wear trouser socks and they made my foot slide.
So I sized up to 10 with a brand new pair in extended calf and I found they were totally different! I guess they changed the way they made them. The leather was stiff and so uncomfortable and sized smaller in both the calf and shoe size than the smaller used pair.

I then purchased 11s because they didnt have a 10.5 and they were too big. To me, the Veronicas were clunky so sizing up made them hard to walk in.I finally just gave up and sold them all.

I also have different colors of the Phillip style and love those. Super comfy out of the box, but they fit so high on my leg and are not as casual as the Veronica's height. I also ordered a pair of Melissa button zip back in extended calf and they were loose on my leg and comfy, but the same height on my leg and too similar to the Phillips, so I returned them.

I've since switched to the Melissa pull on extended calf and had them stretched professionally in the toe area and calf so that way I have plenty of room. It is worth the $ not to have to go through the break in period!
I have had trouble with blood clots and swelling in my legs for years, so a fitted boot terrifies me.
Hopefully the stretched Melissas will be my answer to my woes for this fall and winter.

The 'bay has made a fortune off of me over the last couple of years of boot fitting trouble! lol