Food Breakfast ideas? Quick meals that will keep you full

PixieGirl

Nov 13, 2007
I am looking for Breakfast ideas other than oatmeal that I can make my SO quickly or make ahead the night before. He is doing a month long fast for Ramazan so he can only eat after sunset and before sunrise. It needs to be something that will keep him full throughout the day and energized.

All I can think of is eggs with vegetables and toast and that doesn't seem very filling... or rather not filling enough to last all day.

You can make quiche very tasty with spinach, cheeses, etc. Look for a recipe for Quiche Lorraine.

It's easy for your DH to microwave a large slice in the morning before sunrise.

You can cut out half the egg yolks and use a small amount of strong cheese (like blue) to cut down the fat. Non-fat milk works fine.

Room temp quiche is good, too.

Give him fresh summer fruit to go with the quiche. Seedless grapes are good right now. They will fill him up.

Here you go. This is a really good and very easy recipe. It make 2 pizzas. We always eat one then save the other for lunches the next day.

Breakfast Pizza (Recipe from Sandra Lee, from the Food Network)

4 eggs, slightly beaten (I use WAY more, in fact, I usually double it.)
2 tablespoons butter
2 (8 inch) pizza crusts
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded cheese (whatever kind you prefer,. We usually do a mix.)
4 fully cooked sausage patties, crumbled
1/4 Parmesan
1 medium tomato, diced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 450
Scramble eggs in butter, set aside
Lay out pizza crusts and brush each with olive oil. Top with eggs, cheese, sausage, Parmesan, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
Bake in over for 8 to 10 minutes.

Ramadan Mubarak to your DH and you! :smile:

The trick is to find something that would keep him full until he's able to eat, oatmeal is good but it gets kinda boring over time.. I had special K before fasting and I wasn't even hungry by the time I could eat (you can mix it with other things to make it less boring).. I've heard that carbs are good because they'll keep you full..

The other trick is to NOT make something salty! I've had salty food before fasting and that made me EXTREMELY thirsty all day long :P

You can google "suhoor food" and see what comes up or something.. Good luck!

I'd definitely go for a mix of protein and high-fiber carbs to help with satisfaction/fullness. An egg scramble with veggies & cheese is easy and will be more satisfying if you put it in a whole-wheat tortilla, pita or with toast to help you feel full longer. You also don't have to eat strictly breakfast foods for breakfast - it's perfectly fine to use those leftover chicken breasts and other "later day" foods mixed in to add variety and make your mornings go faster/easier! Good luck!!

^^Agree about the protein. I always feel fuller for longer when I eat something like yogurt for breakfast. I like to buy big jars of the plain kind, then I put in fruit, jam, or maple syrup on top (or all three!).

You could make yogurt parfaits ahead of time... plain yogurt drizzled with a little honey and fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries, etc). Either fresh or frozen works fine in the recipe. But if you use frozen, you don't have to worry about defrosting, and the frozen fruit gives off lots of juice in the yogurt to sweeten the plain yogurt so you probably don't need honey.

All he needs to do in the morning is add the granola (it will get soggy if left in the yogurt overnight).

Protein shakes! They'll keep you full for awhile, you can take them anywhere, and they're quick to whip up! You can get the powder mix at any pharmacy/drug store. Yogurt is always good too!

I add a cut up apple or applesauce with cinnamon to my oatmeal. If he needs to fast all day, I would stay away from breakfast foods and just have leftovers from the night before. Even having an oatmeal, smoothie, omelette or cerealfor breakfast, I am starved by lunchtime.

When I want a nice filling breakfast I always make myself an egg white omletter chock full of goodies: Some of my favorites are low fat cheddar, spinach, mushrooms, and sometimes a little turkey sausage if I am craving meat. It's all low in fat/calories, and full of protein. Pair it with a slice of high fiber multigrain bread, and trust me you'll be full!

p.s. If you like your omlette a little spicy, try a little salsa as a condiment if you like.

Anne