Brasso on Brass Hardware?

Huni

Feb 6, 2013
Hey there, so I cleaned all of my zippy's brass with brasso because its been starting to tarnish. I used a little cloth that I cut out from an old clean tshirt, put a spot of brasso and just cleaned all the little brass buttons, the brass holding the handles and the zipper. I then went back and wiped it with a clean cloth. Although the brass looks much cleaner and tarnish free, it's also a lot lighter, like a really, really light dull yellow =(, and not the bright vibrant gold color that I was expecting.

How do I get this bright gold color back? I am thinking over time it will just oxidize and turn to the darker gold?

Hey there, so I cleaned all of my zippy's brass with brasso because its been starting to tarnish. I used a little cloth that I cut out from an old clean tshirt, put a spot of brasso and just cleaned all the little brass buttons, the brass holding the handles and the zipper. I then went back and wiped it with a clean cloth. Although the brass looks much cleaner and tarnish free, it's also a lot lighter, like a really, really light dull yellow =(, and not the bright vibrant gold color that I was expecting.

How do I get this bright gold color back? I am thinking over time it will just oxidize and turn to the darker gold?
My speedy*** not my zippy :biggrin:

I've never done it but when I see pics of other people cleaning it it also looks like it turns a really pale almost silvery yellow/gold, I think it's because not all hardware is brass anymore, it's like metal painted in a gold color so I think the brasso is taking off some of the color! Again that's just my opinion.....

Mine is definitely just yellow, started off really light, but it seems like as the days go by it is getting darker... or maybe it's just me. I guess what it is missing though is a shiny top coat. Might as well take it into LV and see what they say.

I'm really glad I read this, because I wanted to do something to shine up the brass on my Theda Bracelet but was afraid to because I didn't know if it was real brass all the way through it...

I actually just cleaned the brass on my old Epi Speedy using Barkeepers Friend powdered cleaner. I think it came out amazing! I had used Barkeepers Friend to take rust spots off of old silverware in the past, so I thought, why not...

I took a Q-Tip and dipped it in water, then dipped it in the Barkeepers Friend powder, so that it was kind of a paste consistency on the Q-Tip, I just polished using a circular motion on all the gold hardware, trying to avoid the leather, I did get some on the leather & just wiped it off right away with a clean damp cloth, it came off the Epi leather with no problem at all.

Here's a before & after pic!

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 966
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 972