Brass jewelry

suchi

Apr 30, 2015
So I have been obsessed with Oxidized silver jewelry lately. While searching in etsy for snake motif jewelry (I like them, have a ring, a pair of earrings and a bracelet in silver with snake design) I came across a captivating choker in snake motif. The choker is made of brass with gold / silver plating. Price is around USD 170. The same thing if made in silver is quoted at euro 350 (totally out of my present budget). So my question is if I buy the one in brass with yg plating, will the jewelry hold in the long run or get discolored and appear bad after wearing it for a few times.
Also please show your brass jewelry, how they wear. Will they develop a patina like silver?

So I have been obsessed with Oxidized silver jewelry lately. While searching in etsy for snake motif jewelry (I like them, have a ring, a pair of earrings and a bracelet in silver with snake design) I came across a captivating choker in snake motif. The choker is made of brass with gold / silver plating. Price is around USD 170. The same thing if made in silver is quoted at euro 350 (totally out of my present budget). So my question is if I buy the one in brass with yg plating, will the jewelry hold in the long run or get discolored and appear bad after wearing it for a few times.
Also please show your brass jewelry, how they wear. Will they develop a patina like silver?

I've found it all depends on manufacturer. Chanel, for example, holds up pretty well, as do nOir, Marc Jacobs, Tom Binns, Eddie Borgo and a few other brands. Be careful about perfume or body lotion as that causes discoloration.

Honestly, though, I've found that I prefer the real deal versus costume.

Good luck in your decision.

Reactions: suchi