Brand new to Hermès: how does it work? I need help

duna

O.G.
Feb 9, 2006
I’ve never been inside the H store in Florence, Hermès can be intimidating but I always take a sit in front of the store in piazza Antinori on the steps of the Church. It’s relaxing! Maybe it’s time to go inside the store.

I live in Italy too and I've been an H customer for a long time in my local H store. You should definately go into your store and look around and find a nice SA . I think that for locals it's much easier to get a bag and you don't have to spend a lot before. Good luck!

Reactions: Cat.A
I read a lot about "the H game" and as far as I understand, it is VERY different in every country. In Germany - and as it is Europe too, maybe it is the same in Italy - you do not have to spend a lot before buying a b or k. I have friends, they spend NOTHING before. The most important thing is, that you are a resident. Then you should be friendly and show your love for Hermes. I bought two carrees and a Evelyne and the next was a birkin. They had put me on the wishlist for a birkin without any shopping history - it may take longer, but the call will definitely come one day. Now I found a really very very nice SA, I buy sometimes some little things (maybe 3k in a year) and keep connected to her and now I was able to place a SO. AND I am on the list for a kelly in anemone. They already offered me one, but I declined as it had gold hardware and I only want palladium. So this is it for Germany. Not thousands of thousands spending for something else, not buying fine jewellery or RTW, just be kind and tell them, what you would love :smile:. And go inside the store - it is such a great experience! Good luck!

I’ve never been inside the H store in Florence, Hermès can be intimidating but I always take a sit in front of the store in piazza Antinori on the steps of the Church. It’s relaxing! Maybe it’s time to go inside the store.

It is time to go into the store. Have a look around & get a feeling for the store
Not everyone that goes into H "buys".. There are many lookers & clients that come back 2 or 3 times to
look at the same item.
The scarf display is usually lovely to look at as well as how the store is beautifully appointed.
Your eyes will take so much in... It will be a pleasure for you
Wander in & see what happens. You may be very pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: Cholet and Cat.A
Great, thread! I had a question in the same direction - I don't have an H boutique in my city, does anyone have tips for someone like me? I have the following options, I think:

1. Try Paris FSH - have to be really lucky there, from what I understand

2. Build a relationship with an SA at a location where I travel frequently - but I don't know how feasible is this. Anyone have any experience with something like this, or have any opinions/thoughts to share? I feel like this will take me years, which I'm prepared for, but not sure how effective will this be.
I don't have a boutique near me either, so wound up doing option 2. I've only requested my first bag a couple weeks ago, so I can't really speak to that, but it's doable. Don't feel obligated to try to build a relationship with the first SA you meet or from whom you make a purchase. They may have the bandwidth to help you with the sale, but not to build a relationship. Be open, but don't force it.

Other tips: a couple of weeks before traveling to the city, set up an appointment (ideally for a time when they'll be less busy) and request a few items that you're relatively sure you'll buy. That way, they can invest their non-busy time to bringing the items in and you know they'll have something you're interested in buying. It also makes it easier to break the ice once there. Explore the brand with them and don't be afraid to ask questions.

It is time to go into the store. Have a look around & get a feeling for the store
Not everyone that goes into H "buys".. There are many lookers & clients that come back 2 or 3 times to
look at the same item.
The scarf display is usually lovely to look at as well as how the store is beautifully appointed.
Your eyes will take so much in... It will be a pleasure for you
Wander in & see what happens. You may be very pleasantly surprised!

I second that, don't feel intimidated by what you've read or heard about Hermès. I've visited the store several times, and trust me when I say they're really really nice and polite in Florence.

The store manager once told me the story of why Hermès decided to settle in that specific building for their boutique in Florence, it was very fascinating and interesting to listen to. She was very kind and pleasant... on top of that, you're a local and you won't have any problems getting a bag, perhaps it'll be easier now due to the whole pandemic situation?

Go in, and enjoy the store and the lovely items they have!

Reactions: Luny_94 and Cat.A
I agree trying at your local store is probably your best option as most stores cater to local clientele. They want to have you a customer for life and very likely you will be! I haven’t gotten a K or B yet but have shopped at a few H stores globally. They will usually ask if you are a local if not I’d try to drop that into the conversation. With my current SA I hadn’t even purchased anything yet and she let me know that the waitlist for a K was now open. Seems like it’s something that doesn’t always happen and anyone could be added but I got the impression only for locals. It’s fun just to browse and a good SA will give you lots of back stories about the brand or a design. If you like scarves that’s a good entry. Also shoes. I think the price points are good for the amount of wear but it can also get addicting. Also homeware is not too expensive is a good way to get a little piece of H. And now they have lipsticks which are expensive for what they are but a small price point for H! From there maybe you can express interest in a bag or ask how it works there.
Good luck and hope you get an offer soon!

Reactions: Cat.A
Hi, I’m Italian from Florence and at the age of 44 I’m considering, for the first time in my life, to get a Birkin or a Kelly, hopefully both! I’m joking.
By the way, I’m a bag lover, I own some luxury bags, mainly from Chanel and LV, but I’ve always been scared by H world. Why? Because of the price, of course, and the H game: you have to spend a lot on goodies that you don’t want and need just to get, if you are lucky, a B or a K in the size and the colour they offer you.
In these days I heard that it’s not always this difficult to get a Birkin or a Kelly and there are also waiting lists. How does it work? Waiting two years or more is fine, if you get the bag you want at the end.
What do you suggest me to do to create a link with my local store? Any advice? Thanks for helping me.

Venturing in the large and mystical world of H can sometimes be difficult especially as there are no certainties when it comes to ‘how exactly does one score their first bag.’ I think you pointed rightly in your other posts that you will build a relationship in your current store. That is how my luck began. A few year later and one bag turned into ...
I think it’s important that you show your love and knowledge for H items and not just a B or K. I think the SA’s appreciate it. I would also (along the way) find out how it works in their store . With tourists gone but Covid-19 lockdowns I’m not sure what the impact is on availabilities. I think you can also read the helpful older posts on here. They guided me when I was a new. In addition, don’t be discouraged if this particular store or a SA are not friendly or welcoming. It’s really important to have a good feel for your SA. To sum it up, a good relationship, buying history and love/knowledge for the brand are kew in scoring that bag.

Great, thread! I had a question in the same direction - I don't have an H boutique in my city, does anyone have tips for someone like me? I have the following options, I think:

1. Try Paris FSH - have to be really lucky there, from what I understand

2. Build a relationship with an SA at a location where I travel frequently - but I don't know how feasible is this. Anyone have any experience with something like this, or have any opinions/thoughts to share? I feel like this will take me years, which I'm prepared for, but not sure how effective will this be.
My SA is 2 hours from me. I go in to see her when I can, but I use email and phone mostly. She ships me the items I’m looking for. I started my H journey in Feb and was offered a Birkin in September. I didn’t spend 1:1. But I made consistent purchases and reached out to her anytime I wanted to buy something, no matter how small. also when I know I can make it to the store, i email her to make sure she’s available. it’s def possible to maintain a relationship even if your store is far. I know others on here have SAs plane rides away from their home. So it’s just finding someone you click with and reaching out to him/her when you see items that catch your eye. And patience. :smile:

Hello dears! I have been reading so many of the posts. Everyone seem to know a lot about hermes but I'm new to buying from them. Can you recommend any books, blogs, youtube to learn more? Thnx ;)

In addition to books, blogs, youtubers, & tPF, going into your local H is the best experience you can
possibly have. You are only getting personal points of views which are certainly helpful, but nothing
like being "hands on" yourself...
Walking into H is not intimidating if you don't want it to be. You are the buyer at the end of the day
& you may have to visit several times to click with a SA.. its worth it all I can assure you..

Reactions: Christofle