Brand new or second hand?

kandice53

Mar 3, 2017
Hi I am very new to designer bags. Currently I own two Michael kors bags. I've been eyeing on the Chanel classic flap but a brand new one is around $7000 AUD. Once I heard people say every girl should treat herself a bag that is twice as much as her monthly income :smile: I have the money for it but just can't justify myself. I know I won't be thinking about reselling it to make money. So my question is, when you bought your first higher end designer bag, did you go for a brand new one or second hand one?

Hi I am very new to designer bags. Currently I own two Michael kors bags. I've been eyeing on the Chanel classic flap but a brand new one is around $7000 AUD. Once I heard people say every girl should treat herself a bag that is twice as much as her monthly income :smile: I have the money for it but just can't justify myself. I know I won't be thinking about reselling it to make money. So my question is, when you bought your first higher end designer bag, did you go for a brand new one or second hand one?
I bought it new. But if you feel uneasy spending $7K on your first premier handbag, perhaps look at other handbags that are less expensive.

Oh gawd! :shocked: There is no way in Hades I'd buy a bag 2x my monthly income. Who in the world said that??? That almost made me choke when I read that. Seriously, you almost sent me to the light. Ack!!! "Treat" yourself to 2 months income carefully invested - over and over instead.

82% of my collection is premium designers: Chanel, Dior, Gucci, Prada, etc. My Chanel jumbo classic flaps are my favorite bags in my collection hands down. So I think you picked a winner to consider. But, my first, second and umpteenth premium designer bags have been sparkling quality preloved or new on sale. I've only purchased one bag full price and regretted it. And, I'm super picky. So I don't buy raggedy or worn preloved bags. I stick to preowned new or preowned like new. I offer this to give perspective that you can have high end bags without the (relatively) high end boutique price.

For me, the goal is to have gorgeous bags I adore without compromise. AND at a price I can comfortably afford.

So I'd suggest you go into a few boutiques to see what it's like and peruse the bags. I don't get anything from the boutique experience but it's a very fun plus for many. So try it out and see if that approach to buying adds to the value of your bag. If not, try preloved but be patient and be a stickler to get a top quality bag. (And pleeeeease authenticate to avoid fakes)

Happy shopping!

Oh gawd! :shocked: There is no way in Hades I'd buy a bag 2x my monthly income. Who in the world said that??? That almost made me choke when I read that. Seriously, you almost sent me to the light. Ack!!! "Treat" yourself to 2 months income carefully invested - over and over instead.
LOL! You are blunt, @Sparkletastic. I'm with you 100%.

Once I heard people say every girl should treat herself a bag that is twice as much as her monthly income
Agreed with wanting to know source of this insane idea of "treat."
I hear same line from car dealers. And jewelry salespeople. They get a hard stare.
So my question is, when you bought your first higher end designer bag, did you go for a brand new one or second hand one?
I buy new, always.
From brand boutique.
So I know bags are authentic. Not stolen goods.
And haven't been stored in a cigarette scented wardrobe, full of peeing cats & mildew.:shocked:

Please reveal whichever bag you choose. Have fun shopping.:smile:

I have always only ever bought new and only ever will. It's the only way I can guarantee authenticity and condition.
Personally I wouldn't spend $7k on a bag, but I also don't think Chanels quality is as good as it was so don't believe they are worth the price. I sold my Chanels last year and wouldn't buy another at their current prices. I'd prefer something at a more comfortable price range for me that I love (which I could find plenty to fit the bill) than buy second hand.

I have brought new and second hand..
I believe you will be extremely happy with second hand, I personally prefer them.
Used once or twice with receipts ect!
Just make sure you do some homework, ask questions and look at the sellers history and return policy. It's not uncommon for people to buy something and realise that impulse took over so they decided to sell ect.

When buying in the store you are paying for the (store experience) and most importantly, that it's genuine!

Good luck

I have always only ever bought new and only ever will. It's the only way I can guarantee authenticity and condition.
Personally I wouldn't spend $7k on a bag, but I also don't think Chanels quality is as good as it was so don't believe they are worth the price. I sold my Chanels last year and wouldn't buy another at their current prices. I'd prefer something at a more comfortable price range for me that I love (which I could find plenty to fit the bill) than buy second hand.

Yeah $7k is the price of my car!!
And the reason why I always bought inexpensive cars is I don't want to feel terrible when I scratch it.
I really like the look of Chanel classic flap. Then I looked at Rebecca minkoff quilted affair. Not quite the same but I think I'll be happy with it to start with.

I have bought new and preloved. I suggest anything you see preloved be authenticated first. If you truly love the Chanel please do your homework. A lot of resellers are great but a lot aren't. My first was preloved and also FAKE. I had no idea people sold counterfeits on ebay. I have bought preloved since but only brands I know well enough to spot a fake.
I personally don't buy bags for a certain brand, I buy what makes my heart sing. That could be my 3K Gucci or my $150.00 Minkoff.
For myself, I can't justify 7K for a purse. It's a purse. Luckily I don't care for Chanel or Hermes so I don't have to worry about it.

Who ever said we should spend twice our monthly income on a bag should be slapped hard.:frown:

You don't have to buy a bag that's cost twice your salary. Never heard of it before. Just buy whatever you like and comfortable paying. My first one was new, but now I'm buying both new and second hand as I'm more experienced in distinguishing what's fake and real. Also, now I know I can get it authenticate, too.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I've heard the two months of your salary thing for engagement rings (something to wear daily, likely for life), not a purse. Both I find ludicrous. I mean, maybe with full savings (six months expenses), maxed out 401K, paid off house and car, and investments that supplemented my salary would I consider it. I tend to cap myself at half a paycheck net.

That said, if it's what you truly want, it's not going to make you crazy that it's so much, and you'll be able to enjoy it, then go for what you truly want, not a substitute. I'd probably look for pre-loved that was in immaculate condition. Bags are like Lay's potato chips (can't have just one) though, so proceed with caution.

I've heard the two months of your salary thing for engagement rings (something to wear daily, likely for life), not a purse. Both I find ludicrous. I mean, maybe with full savings (six months expenses), maxed out 401K, paid off house and car, and investments that supplemented my salary would I consider it. I tend to cap myself at half a paycheck net.

That said, if it's what you truly want, it's not going to make you crazy that it's so much, and you'll be able to enjoy it, then go for what you truly want, not a substitute. I'd probably look for pre-loved that was in immaculate condition. Bags are like Lay's potato chips (can't have just one) though, so proceed with caution.

Yeah... I heard about the jewelry, too. But I find it's not necessary. What makes you comfortable is good enough. And yes. Buying designer bags can be very addictive. So, go with the pace you're comfy with, otherwise, it'll snowball too fast.

Do you truly want a Chanel? Please don't spend 7K on a bag unless you are in love with it. Step away from the sale for a day or two and breathe. Do some research on the bag and ask others how they like theirs.

I think that if I was paying that much I would want to try it on in a boutique before I bought. And many resellers don't offer returns.