Brand new or second hand?

It's been pretty much the same for me all along; preloved. I'm pretty much paranoid when it comes to my bags - if I buy brand new, I freak out over scuffs and marks so the bag stays in the closet. A good example was a Mulberry bag that I carried a couple of times and switched it for a preloved AW Rocco in the end. I lost ALOT of money in that trade, but in my head it was a good deal because I actually carry the Wang. The latest case was my HG bag, Longchamp Roseau which waited in the closet for almost 3 yrs before I could get my head around the thought that I have to use the bag because I didn't want to sell it.

If you want to play it safe, buy new from a Chanel boutique. If you buy preloved, you'll most likely get more bang for your buck.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I bought alle my bags new except for one lv alma bb in amarante because I wasn't sure if such a small bag will fit to my lifestyle and I didn't want to spent full price for it and then resell it and loose a lot of money... the other reason was that i heardvernis leather is so delicate and I didn't want to freak out if something happens so this said this bags was used a lot and I enjoyed it a lot as I wasn't super careful with it and still looks good.
So if I had the money for a chanel bag I would buy it from the store just because if I spend so much money on a bag I want to have it new and I want to have the whole experience and I would try on more chanel bags and see which colour size or bag is the best for me.. if you don't want to ever sell it then you can also pay the full price as you will have the bag longer...
I would be afraid to buy preloved and spend around 2000-4000 ( I don't know how much this bag costs preloved) .. you spend that much money on a bag preloved and don't have the shop experience ..this is a no go for me.. I would only buy preloved when the bag is under 1000
(2000 would be too much to spend on a preloved one)... you also never know exactly if it's really authentic unless you buy it in store..

Hi I am very new to designer bags. Currently I own two Michael kors bags. I've been eyeing on the Chanel classic flap but a brand new one is around $7000 AUD. Once I heard people say every girl should treat herself a bag that is twice as much as her monthly income :smile: I have the money for it but just can't justify myself. I know I won't be thinking about reselling it to make money. So my question is, when you bought your first higher end designer bag, did you go for a brand new one or second hand one?
Twice as much as a monthly income?:confused1::confused1:
People who say that certainly don't get paid €800 a month for a part time job at the cash desk in the next door supermarket like some ladies I know.
When I bought my first designer bag, I bought it new, it was a LV Speedy and I still have it.
That being said if I were lucky enough to find a genuine preloved high end bag I have been dreaming about for months or years , it would be pure heaven! :yahoo::love:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
lots of women say 'i will never sell the bag' but we should have a thread for the women that actually kept their chanel 50+ years, or even 25+ years. there are probably very few. the reality is that you might one day sell it, and you'll never recover 7K, ever. at least if you buy preloved you can recoup closer to what you spent. there is no reason to buy new, imo, when the market is flooded with flaps in near-perfect condition. most of my chanel's have been preloved and i've never regretted purchasing any. just make sure to do your homework and buy from a seller/store that offers a return policy. i vote preloved.

It's all a matter of preference. If you're not fully sold on the idea of spending 7000 AUD on a Chanel, then please don't get it. Just wait and play with the bag at the boutique. You'll know when the bag is right for you and when to pull the trigger...whether you go new or preloved.

It is very easy to get caught up on this forum because of rumored price increases and daily reveals, but in the grand scheme of things it's just a fancy bag.

I've done both preloved and new. I really don't see any difference with either. It all ends up getting used by me!

Just like Sparkletastic, I've bought exactly one bag brand new and not on sale and, while I love the bag, I regret the purchase. There are so many preloved bags in fantastic condition and new bags on sale that buying new and full price just doesn't make sense to me. I do go to the boutiques and try on bags before I buy them whenever possible, but then I find what I want elsewhere.

MK to a 7K Chanel is a big step. Maybe start with something around 2K and see how you feel about the purchase.