Braces

Jul 5, 2007
In about a month, when I pay of the last of my CC, I am getting my braces. I have told people and they are like, WHy? I think I need them. I do not like my smile. I never show teeth when I do. Plus I hate that the food gets stuck on my teeth ( I am sorry if too graphic :P) All the time, no matter what I eat and thats because they are like in angles. I am putting a picture. Am I wasting money? I want to know about the people who have had braces or do. Did it make a difference? I want to show off my smile. Tell me your opinions and stories.

Attachments

• Photo 129.jpg
    Photo 129.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Photo 128.jpg
    Photo 128.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 180
Sorry about my teeth. Just looking at them make me want them even more... I hate that they look like pointy and carnivorous-e! he he.. I wont get offended on your opinion on how my teeth look. Thank you..

I'm currently 19 years old. I had braces put on when I was 18, and was told I needed them for two years. (I'm getting them taken off in May this year, a month before I turn 20). At the beginning I felt extremely awkward and unattractive, despite being assured by my peers that I looked "cute". At this point, I still HATE having them on and am eagerly anticipating the day I get them off. My teeth already look fantastic and aligned and I know the day they're taken off it'll feel like an 'awakening'. Sorry to sound so philosophical ;) You're not wasting money at all! It's worth the investment and your smile will be even more beautiful at the end.

I had braces when I was in my late 20s. It was worth it- but keep in mind that you have to be extremely diligent about keeping your teeth clean- brushing, flossing, etc. during the time you have them. Also, once my teeth were straight, I ended up needing some minor cosmetic work because once they were all lined up, it was clear several of the front ones were not all the same size/symmetric if that makes sense. The shape of your teeth will not be changed by the braces, so if you don't like that they are pointy, you will need cosmetic work in addition to the braces. The other problem I had is that I developed decay under one of the bands on a rear molar that resulted in me needing a root canal and crown. If you are doing the traditional band/wire braces be sure to set some extra $ aside for additional dental work that might come up.

The other thing that is a key to success is that you must be very strict about wearing your retainer. I still wear mine at least once a week- and recently I got a new crown on one of my front teeth and I am going to see my orthodontist to have my retainer adjusted, since it does not fit any more because of the new crown.

Good luck!

I'm currently 19 years old. I had braces put on when I was 18, and was told I needed them for two years. (I'm getting them taken off in May this year, a month before I turn 20). At the beginning I felt extremely awkward and unattractive, despite being assured by my peers that I looked "cute". At this point, I still HATE having them on and am eagerly anticipating the day I get them off. My teeth already look fantastic and aligned and I know the day they're taken off it'll feel like an 'awakening'. Sorry to sound so philosophical ;) You're not wasting money at all! It's worth the investment and your smile will be even more beautiful at the end.

Uhh if it not to much to ask I would like to see your before and now... I am 24 I could of gotten them when I was younger but now I really want to do it before I finish school. Did your face look different? I mean when your mouth is closed and u had the metal?

I had braces when I was in my late 20s. It was worth it- but keep in mind that you have to be extremely diligent about keeping your teeth clean- brushing, flossing, etc. during the time you have them. Also, once my teeth were straight, I ended up needing some minor cosmetic work because once they were all lined up, it was clear several of the front ones were not all the same size/symmetric if that makes sense. The shape of your teeth will not be changed by the braces, so if you don't like that they are pointy, you will need cosmetic work in addition to the braces. The other problem I had is that I developed decay under one of the bands on a rear molar that resulted in me needing a root canal and crown. If you are doing the traditional band/wire braces be sure to set some extra $ aside for additional dental work that might come up.

The other thing that is a key to success is that you must be very strict about wearing your retainer. I still wear mine at least once a week- and recently I got a new crown on one of my front teeth and I am going to see my orthodontist to have my retainer adjusted, since it does not fit any more because of the new crown.

Good luck!

I think the look pointy because of the angle. If that makes any sense. The side one are like more in an angle where I can see they side of it. I think that is what makes them pointy. Can I see your smile?
Oh and I was wondering about the price. I am going to pay about 34 monthly payments of 108 and last payment of 27.00. Only $53 plan fee... thats about
3752.... Is that alot?
I told them that I wanted to give a down payment so my monthly can go down but they did not want to. She said I can give it, but I will just pay it off sooner.

I dont think your teeth are BAD, but they arent perfect. You could use braces, but they wont be on for long. I need braces too, going to need them for THREE years! Oy..

ETA: I think under $4,000 for braces is a great price, but then again Im comparing to my estimate which was $5,000.

Hello! I had braces in 7th grade and got them off last year in 8th grade. I'll be honest, it hurts really bad at times and when you first get them on it is painful because it feels prickly and your lips get very dry from being open for a long time. (make sure you lather your lips with vaseline before you get them on)
It's expensive but worth it in my opinion. I felt much more confident. I had a little spacing and underbite which I think you have as well. They can easily fix it. My braces only stayed on for 18 months! I had to wear chains and rubber bands which were not fun :sad: They hurt at first but you can take advil and it does help a little.

I don't know but I think my familys insurance paid for $1000 and the whole treatment was $4000 or around that amount.

your mouth looks a little puffier but it's not a big deal in my opinion. oh and i got the metal ones. i don't like the ceramic. some people manage to keep them really clean but i know a girl who had them and they became yellow.

hmmm what else. oh when you get them off, they use some weird thing to scrape off the glue and kind of smooth out your teeth. if you have little ridges on the tips of your teeth, they will be straightened out. my teeth are perfectly straight now and i am just very pleased. my teeth looked ginormous after i got them off ^__^

now i wear a retainer every night to bed. both top and bottom are removable. i have a wire one but i also got a clear one for the top from my ortho

you can ask any other questions because i had them recently so i still remember everything xD
i can tell you exactly how things were done at my first appointment (spacers, gluing of brackets, etc.)

also it depends where you go for the braces. i went to 3 different places for consultations which is good because my mom discovered one of the orthodontists was a complete wack job. (for reals. it's a long story) that ortho gave us an estimate of $3000 or something much cheaper than the one i actually went to. the difference? my ortho had wonderful assistants and the office is much more private and comfortable/nice.

sorry i keep adding more. just want this to be helpful for you~~you have to use floss threaders which are a pain in the neck sometimes but you will not regret flossing :smile: they made me put a picture of someones teeth after they got their braces off and didn't floss on my bathroom mirror. O_O it worked. i floss diligently. also my mom would take the extra time to let me get my wires taken off at the ortho, drive me to the dentist to get them cleaned (this makes it easier for them and your teeth may be cleaned better), then go back to the ortho to get new wires and chains or w/e done. it takes more time but it helped a lot. and i got cleanings every other appointment which is generally 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Wow thank you ^^ I really want this braces. Can I use the rubber-bands? Once you say yes! What do they tell do? Did you get them that day or do you have to wait a long time! Once I know I am getting something I go insane waiting... he he.. Do you have pictures?

they'll will probably use bands to pull your top teeth forward and down to close the bite.
that's what they did for me, and i am pretty sure you have an underbite.

after the consultation, my appointment was like a 2 weeks later because i went on a cruise lol. i got spacers for 1 week, then braces put on. first time they get put on, nothing fancy. just brackets and a wire. no rubber bands, chains, etc. i got chains first probably the 3rd appointment. rubber bands came after a few months of chains. once i did have to wear 2 pairs of rubber bands on each side of my mouth and i've had double chains before. that hurt like hell. but let me tell you, the chains work so quickly. i had huge movement after days with chains.

i was starving on the second day. first day, i got them in the morning and went to school 3 hours late since it takes a while (they tell you it takes about 2 hrs. mine took longer)
it only felt very prickly and dry at first but then when i got home from school...thats when the pain really started. i didn't eat dinner except for a little soup but even my jaw was feeling sore so i didn't have an appetite. the next day i was starving and it felt more sore. i ate a lot of soup and mashed potatoes. for lunch i brought jello cups and yogurt. it could be different for you. the real pain is when you get chains. >.< i just have low pain tolerance xD

Thank you for all your help. I need to get a cleaning before so I am looking for a place that is not t expensive. Then when my Bf come back home from his MONTH vacation I am going to get them. I am even thinking of making a thread all about it so other people can see what happens and sort of a journal for me.... It is off to bed for my tonight.

I say, if you are self conscious about them, get them. I had braces, actually got them removed about 2 weeks ago, and am so happy that I had them. I am much more happy with myself. If you think it will give you more confidence, do it!

I got braces a year and a half ago. They said it was only for 3-6 months and it ended up being a year. Looking back, I wish I hadn't put them on. And I still need to have 2 teeth bonded b/c they are not the right size/don't match the rest of my teeth. I had braces when I was younger, but didn't remember it being so bad. My mouth hurt, I was always worried that I had food stuck in them, you need to clean them REALLY well. Maybe it's b/c I am older, but it was awful. Glad they are gone!

That price sounds about right. My dental insurance paid for 75% of mine, so it wasn't that bad.